The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Say goodbye to new TV...

It hasn't been reported on a whole lot, because everyone kept hoping beyond hope that it wouldn't come to this... but the Writers Guild of America has been in contract renegotiations for over three months now, and have been threatening a strike. Last night was the deadline. Last-minute support from the Teamsters looked like it might avert the crisis, but then this comment was left on this industry messageboard:

Quote:
We were just sent out instructions to pack up our belongings at work on Thursday.

Strike on.
The main issue is over whether downloadable internet content should be considered the same thing as DVD sales, and whether the old calculation of writer royalties on DVD sales is fair anymore to begin with. The positions of both sides can be read at length at the above link. A strike would affect new television content for both network and cable. Get ready for reruns...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
freshnesschronic
Professor

Yeah! I heard about this yesterday, read it in the Daily Illini.

So.....there's no more Desperate Housewives? Or America's Next Top Model (c'mon that's riggggged)?
Wait....that means there's no....more....Scrubs?
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
glatt

No more Tonight Show monologue/jokes.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
glatt

Quote:
Here’s a look at what Ryan says will be the primary effects of a strike:
• Late-night TV gets hit first. Writers would walk out on all late-night programs, such as The Daily Show, The Tonight Show, Late Night With Conan O’Brien and Late Show with David Letterman. Some would go into repeats; others would air with mostly interviews, little other chat (and few, if any, sketches) in between (I suppose we’ll see how much fun in the funny each of these hosts actually contribute).
• Most daytime soaps will run out of scripts within a month. News and sports could take their place.
• Primetime has a couple of months. Most scripted shows have episodes (or at least scripts) in the can already; most reality shows are not covered by the guild’s agreements, so they’re golden. Plus, December is mostly repeats and annual holiday shows anyhow.
• “Midseason” is the big question. If the strike were still on, networks might save their remaining scripts for February sweeps. (Amy note: Jericho not only has all seven of its episodes written, they’re already produced, so a strike could actually be a boon to the show!)
linky
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
lookout123
changed his status to single

the only new show that has really caught my attention is Life with Damian Lewis. it is the only thing i tivo besides my premiership games.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

can they still recycle old plot lines and make remakes of remakes?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The talk show hosts could write their own jokes and monologues? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
lookout123

i think if push comes to shove letterman, leno, o'brian, and stewart will be just fine. i know they each have writers, but each of their shows are geared around their own ideas of humor and style. i'm pretty sure they could wing it for awhile.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

J. Michael Straczynski, of Babylon 5, has been discussing it on usenet.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
i think if push comes to shove letterman, leno, o'brian, and stewart will be just fine. i know they each have writers, but each of their shows are geared around their own ideas of humor and style. i'm pretty sure they could wing it for awhile.
I agree, some better than others. I'd be least worried about Craig Ferguson because I think he does his own stuff anyway. Leno, scares me, but I just don't think he's a natural at the job.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I have to wonder about that. Do they have to abide by the rules themselves? Many of them write some of their own material. If they write their own stuff, are they members of the Guild too? Do they have to abide by the same rules?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
Shawnee123

Good question. Hadn't thought of that. Anyone know?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
lookout123

i don't know but i would think there comes a point when the classification switches from poor oppressed "worker bee", to heavy handed oppressive "the man". like when it is there name in the show, or something.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Shawnee123

I found an article that said most late night shows would go on hiatus. The "stars" are also members of the WGA, and most feel they need to show support to their writers. Though they might not be legally bound to the strike, it would be akin to crossing the picket line at GM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
If they write their own stuff, are they members of the Guild too? Do they have to abide by the same rules?
It's an unclear area. On the one hand, yes, all of the late-night stars are considered "writers" for their shows, and do belong to the WGA. But there are exceptions to the strike rules: they would also likely be considered "showrunners," who are personally not allowed to strike. It would be up to their own consciences (and how lucky they feel about getting sued by and/or kicked out of the Union) how much "content creation" they could do while striking as a writer but not striking as a showrunner. The typical semi-improvised interviews almost certainly don't count, even though the questions are developed beforehand, but pretty much all other "headline" style bits would, and definitely any sketches.

An anonymous insider from NBC confirmed that Jay Leno and their other late-night shows would likely go into reruns. No word from CBS on Letterman. Stewart and Colbert do more of their own material than most, but Comedy Central has said they would likely go into reruns anyway, hinting that since the two of them are more recent stars with significant writing backgrounds, they would feel especially guilty about attempting to continue their shows.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote