The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

Lake Natron Oct 4th, 2013

In 2011, when he was traveling to shoot photos for a new book on the disappearing wildlife of East Africa, Across the Ravaged Land, photographer Nick Brandt came across a truly astounding place: A natural lake that seemingly turns all sorts of animals into stone.

“When I saw those creatures for the first time alongside the lake, I was completely blown away,” says Brandt. “The idea for me, instantly, was to take portraits of them as if they were alive.”

Name:  Calcified.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  81.3 KB

The ghastly Lake Natron, in northern Tanzania, is a salt lake—meaning that water flows in, but doesn’t flow out, so it can only escape by evaporation. Over time, as water evaporates, it leaves behind high concentrations of salt and other minerals, like at the Dead Sea and Utah’s Great Salt Lake.

Unlike those other lakes, though, Lake Natron is extremely alkaline, due to high amounts of the chemical natron (a mix of sodium carbonate and baking soda) in the water. The water’s pH has been measured as high as 10.5—nearly as high as ammonia. “It’s so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds,” Brandt says.

As you might expect, few creatures live in the harsh waters, which can reach 140 degrees Fahreinheit—they’re home to just a single fish species (Alcolapia latilabris), some algae and a colony of flamingos that feeds on the algae and breeds on the shore.

Frequently, though, migrating birds crash into the lake’s surface. Brandt theorizes that the highly-reflective, chemical dense waters act like a glass door, fooling birds into thinking they’re flying through empty space (not long ago, a helicopter pilot tragically fell victim to the same illusion, and his crashed aircraft was rapidly corroded by the lake’s waters). During dry season, Brandt discovered, when the water recedes, the birds’ desiccated, chemically-preserved carcasses wash up along the coastline.

“It was amazing. I saw entire flocks of dead birds all washed ashore together, lemming-like,” he says. “You’d literally get, say, a hundred finches washed ashore in a 50-yard stretch.”

LINK
Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
blueboy56
Master Locutor

Also, natron was one of the ingredients used in the process of Egyptian mummification. This was strangely interesting.
blueboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
It's also why Sodium, the element, is Na. (Natrium)
Old 10-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He posed the carcasses for those pics. No shit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
He posed the carcasses for those pics. No shit.

Like every other person who ever took a picture of their thanksgiving turkey before carving it.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

He would have had to. The critters are petrified, but the lake isn't Medusa; it can't turn them to stone while they're sitting on a branch.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Fascinating Nirv, thank you.
I was waiting for the flamingos, I know their habitatas.
Real ones tat is, not plastic; they might occasionally surprise me.

Posing dead animals for photos is creepy?
The Victorians posed their dead rellies.
I spose it was ideal when you had to hold a pose for a long time before it was captured.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
Adak
Lecturer

There was a nature documentary on the flamingos that breed around the lake some time back.

Heart breaking though, as the chicks that are born late, can't fly before the salt begins building up on their feet - and dooming them to be abandoned by their parents, and anchored eventually in place, by the build up of the salt encrusting their feet.

Those chicks are born, suffer from the salt and heat, and die. That's it for them.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Probably a Sisyphean task, but here is what some folks do about that. The video shows people knocking the salt off their legs. Oddly, the rest of the web page makes no mention of the phenomenon.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

impressive find, Happy Monkey.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
glatt

Weird video. You'd think the legs would get hurt, hitting them with a hammer like that to clear the salt.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The salt isn't tight to the leg like a ring, it's loose like a bracelet. The shock from the hammer isn't transmitted to the leg... if he doesn't swing like 3foot.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ouch