The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-28-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Let's bash Ash (non-literally)

Ep and I have been toeing the subject on a couple of threads, so I decided to make a place for it. Ashcroft piss you off? Vent here! With most of the politcal views I've seen it may well be preaching to the choir, but maybe it'll make us feel better...

Last edited by Whit; 09-28-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
juju
no one of consequence

Congrats on your 666th post!
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Heh, yeah, maybe I should have saved it for the xmas thread...
Old 09-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Let's bash Ash (non-literally)
I object to the restriction.:p
BTW- I read "somewhere" that he masturbates and smokes crack in the privacy of his bedroom.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-28-2003 at 10:48 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...dline=Ashcroft's+Patriot+Act+tour+fails+to+calm+critics

The above link points to but one of many stories online telling about Johnny "Holier Than Thou" Ashcroft's recent 'pat myself on the back' tour promoting the goodness of the Patriot Act while urging for the revocation of even more civil liberties. The article notes (as I was similarly regaled last night by an infuriated attendee at the unique Pagan wedding ceremony my wife and I attended) that Mr. Ashcroft has handed down orders to Federal judges to hand out the stiffest possible sentences in all Federal criminal cases. Look for this to mean that more and more of your pot-smoking friends, those hideous red-eyed menaces to society, will be headed for the Big House soon.

Is Ashcroft trying to make criminals of every citizen in this country, or what? And just where the fuck are we supposed to put all these people who would have otherwise plea-bargained their way into Federal probation? The article further notes that Ashcroft has made provisions for any Federal judge failing to mete out the max penalty to be reported to his office, presumably for hand slapping and/or replacement by executioners more in lockstep with his Nazi-like vision of civil obedience.

This guy is dangerous, not just self-righteous. I don't care if I have to vote for a Democratic candidate who is a drooling idiot, I can't be part of re-electing an administration that would give Johnny Sucko a job again.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:07 PM   #6
jaguar
whig

I'm with xoxoxoBruce, that restriction takes all the fun out of it. On the other hand i'm not in the US so i don't have to worry about people knocking on my door in half an hour.

Keep this post in mind when my body is found in a ditch in bolivia.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:37 PM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Is Ashcroft trying to make criminals of every citizen in this country, or what?
Yes, thats what they all want. The theory goes like this: if you make enough laws then everyone is a criminal and therfore can be prosecuted on demand after exercising "rights" objectionable to politicians.

Yer neighbor was just arrested? You didnt know that he was a frequent violator of the Whoreallygivesafuck Act, did you? He is evil and we have served your best interests by shuffling his ass into a chopper blindfolded in the middle of the night.

Now, we want more money to "protect" you from evil no-good-rotten bastards like that, that even you cannot identify, because of civil liberties.

Thats my take anyway.

I on the other hand, would rather W get re-elected and give JA the Texas boot.

Last edited by slang; 09-28-2003 at 08:42 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:06 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Arnold Shwarzenegger. Finally a candidate who can explain the Bush administration's positions on civil liberties in the original German." --Bill Maher
Old 09-28-2003, 10:43 PM   #9
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Sorry Slang. Doesn't work like that. Bush gave Ashcroft the job. Also, what has he done to curb Ashcrofts overstepping? I may have missed it, but from what I can tell the answer is: nothing. He's doing the job Bush hired him to do. Pushing for all the things Bush won't, but wants too.
      I've been a big believer for a long time that Bush's push to protect gun rights is a false front. They'll go as soon as the other nine have fallen. Perhaps more realisticaly, you can keep your gun as long as you keep your mouth shut. Otherwise you get snipedor arrested for bullshit and lose your guns that way. Either way, you're still screwed.

Bruce, that quote is freakin' hilarious.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:13 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Yes, thats what they all want. The theory goes like this: if you make enough laws then everyone is a criminal and therfore can be prosecuted on demand after exercising "rights" objectionable to politicians.
I've heard the gun folks make this arguement. The drug users have a claim to it as well. Everyone who has a complicated Federal tax situation could be added... Its headed that way in health care... food production large and small with FDA and enviro regulation. Toilet flushers... home builders...educators trying to balance state and federal standards with reality... folks who cut or burn wood... downloaders of music...folks who use free speech before an election... people who pick on Johnny

Last edited by Griff; 09-29-2003 at 06:15 AM.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:09 AM   #11
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Taken from Ep's link:
"Public trust in law enforcement has grown. I think you've felt it - I hope you have," Ashcroft told the officers. "I've felt it - that the respect in the American population for the law enforcement community is on the rise. . . ."
      I've felt that I was going to win the lottery, I'm still broke though.
      I guess he bases this off his 'feeling'. Anybody see any evidence for this 'rise in respect'? 'Cause all I'm seeing is people on both sides of the fence getting nervous about the expanding powers from the patriot act and such. Spooky stuff that. What's even more spooky is an AG that would base his beliefs off of his 'feelings', especialy when he seems to feel that anyone not like him is bad.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:20 AM   #12
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
The above link points to but one of many stories online telling about Johnny "Holier Than Thou" Ashcroft's recent 'pat myself on the back' tour promoting the goodness of the Patriot Act while urging for the revocation of even more civil liberties.
The man's like a male Janet Reno.

Quote:

The article notes [snip] that Mr. Ashcroft has handed down orders to Federal judges to hand out the stiffest possible sentences in all Federal criminal cases.
Mr. Ashcroft, a member of the executive branch, has neither the authority nor, more importantly, the power to issue orders to Federal Judges. If I were an appointed-for-life federal judge, I'd treat such "orders" from a tinpot dictator over in miniluv as particularly low-quality toilet paper.

Quote:

Is Ashcroft trying to make criminals of every citizen in this country, or what?
"Did you really think we want those laws observed?", said Dr. Ferris.

"We WANT them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against.... We're after power and we mean it .... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one MAKES them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted--and you create a nation of law-breakers-- and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with." --Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote