The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-16-2003, 09:20 PM   #31
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Well I know that there is SOMETHING that lingers after the meatsack dies. I've had too many paranormal experiences that simply could not be explained by any other event.

In light of those experiences, I have to go with spirit. I think the spirit endures, inhabits a meatsack for a time, then when that time is over, it finds another one. Voluntary reincarnation.

Not to say the brain doesn't play a part. I don't think this is an either/or question. The brain imprints upon the spirit. Brain dies, spirit endures.

If I could type I'd get a real job.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 09:46 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
inhabits a meatsack for a time, then when that time is over, it finds another one.
The $64 question is whether the paranormal experiences are causeed by spirits after meat sack OR between meat sacks?
Old 06-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #33
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I find that interesting Onyx, especially since I've attempted repeatedly to seek out paranormal experiences. It hasn't happened for me yet. Heck I even lived in one supposedly haunted house where all the other 6 tenants reported a slew of things, mostly surrounding my room, but I never saw or heard anything.

Still, this is the first thing on this thread that has pushed me towards the idea of spirit, But I'd like more info. I'm willing to accept your words at face value, as you have no reason to make anything up. However, I need to understand why these experiences convince you of the realm of spirit. I'm assuming it would have to be pretty telling to have that effect on you.

I don't know Bruce, I started this thread pretty well believing in spirit but the idea seems to be slipping... I'm slmost convinced we are meatsacks at this point.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #34
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
Well I know that there is SOMETHING that lingers after the meatsack dies. I've had too many paranormal experiences that simply could not be explained by any other event.
This is a jump of logic that I just cannot do. If you can't explain something, you just assume a certain cause? If you don't understand something, you should look for more facts, not jump to conclusions.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My house use to belong to and old woman that lived alone in her later years. Quite often, when I'm in the cellar, I hear the front door then footsteps through the living room (hardwood, rug, hardwood) then into the dining room where they stop. The first few times I went up to see who it was...nothing. This has been going on for 25 years and I'm not the only one to hear it. Even the dog, laying on the cellar floor, would look up.

Years ago two friends and myself were looking to rent an old (150 yrs) house, We arranged to meet the Real Estate woman there one afternoon. I went there after work and my friends and the woman were already touring the house. Inside, I yelled and they responded from the second floor, so I went up the stairs and down the hall. As I passed one of the empty bedrooms I noticed a little girl sitting on the floor talking to her doll in a sing-song voice like kids do. When we finished with the second floor we went down the back stairs to the kitchen and did the first floor. Finished, we started to leave and I asked the woman, what about her kid, as she locked the door. Well she didn't have any kids. We searched the house from top to bottom. No kid. We rented a house across the street.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #36
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
As I passed one of the empty bedrooms I noticed a little girl sitting on the floor talking to her doll in a sing-song voice like kids do. When we finished with the second floor we went down the back stairs to the kitchen and did the first floor. Finished, we started to leave and I asked the woman, what about her kid, as she locked the door. Well she didn't have any kids. We searched the house from top to bottom. No kid. We rented a house across the street.
did you ever do any research and see if you could link the child to a past (and apparently present) resident?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:32 AM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No. A friends brother, who's a contractor, bought the house. He sent a crew in to remodel first then moved in with his wife and a bunch of kids. They never mentioned seeing anything and I didn't want to freak out the guys wife, so I didn't either.