The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #1
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Original sin or original innocence?

Many of you are likely familiar with this debate. Are we born pure, only to have our spirits darkened by society or are we born with sin in our hearts striving to be better than our nature?
     It should be noted that 'Original sin' is an important theme in Christianity. Adam and Eve tainted mankind when they ate of the fruit.
     Others maintain that children are perfect in their innocence. Pure and untainted.

Thoughts?
Old 05-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Ooops...

I forgot to mention that original sin is not a purely christian idea. There's an argument that infants are utterly selfish. That they care about nothing but themselves and only develop any moral structure with age because it's taught to them. Sorry, 'bout missing that the first time around.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

We are born naked, screaming and hungry. For better and worse, we learn the rest.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't buy the original sin concept. That's like giving us an 0-2 count upon birth...nonsense.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:28 PM   #5
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

interesting thread, whit.

I think you can argue for the "original sin" idea in two ways.

The first is kind of implied in your framing of the question. If we are not born with some penchant toward doing evil, then where do we learn it from? If the answer is from society (as seems to be the common culprit), how do you account for the ethical impulse of the group being evil when the ethical impulse of each individual is toward good? Is there some latent evil in social behavior that is not evident in "natural man" (apart from social interaction)? If so, how is this different from the idea of original sin?

The second line of reasoning is, I think, more interesting. There seems to be several aspects of the human condition that are peculiar, for lack of a better term. One of these is the almost universal admiration toward, and desire for, ethical heroes. We inherently admire the Good, the True, the Courageous, and particularly those individuals that embody them, the Mother Theresas, the Martin Luther Kings, the Ghandis, etc.

If there is a (nearly) universal desire to achieve and embody these ideas, and yet a just as nearly universal complete inability of humans as individuals, and society as a collective, to achieve them, there must be something disconnected, broken, or incomplete in the transition from moral thought to human behavior. Call this whatever you like, but "original sin" seems to fit.

This may devolve the thread a bit, but collectively, these "peculiarities" of the human condition seem to indicate that humanity was (take your pick: created, conditioned, evolved, designed) to be something other than that which it presently exists as.

-sm

[ed: i's grammur is fer suck]

Last edited by smoothmoniker; 05-12-2003 at 08:31 PM.
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Since good and evil are concepts created by society, how could anyone be born either?
Good vs evil is the grading system society uses to measure how their training of a child (person) turned out.
Strictly subjective.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #7
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

When was the last time you had to teach someone to be bad?

It's inborn. We have no choice, only inhibition.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 12:03 AM   #8
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Is there some latent evil in social behavior that is not evident in "natural man" (apart from social interaction)? If so, how is this different from the idea of original sin?
     Um... If the logic is that evil is taught by society then you're talking about 'Original innocence.'
     Ya know, as far as the idea of the human desire to embody or aspire to good... I think people are generally more interested in symbolizing good than being good.
     It's easy to admire people that we see as good. Yet very few actually even attempt to live up to the standards of what we consider noble. For instance, people generally accept that honesty is "good". Yet being truly honest is virtually unheard of. I don't believe this is due to a great level of difficulty. I think that the convenience of a lie is to much of a temptation to pass up. Yet we all hate to be lied too. Obviously this is a double standard, and it's common in the extreme.
     As much as we admire those we believe live up to a higher standard most people accept that it isn't for us. Or as Hobbes, of Calvin and Hobbes, once said, "virtue needs some cheaper thrills."
Old 05-13-2003, 12:09 AM   #9
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Hey Bruce, of course it's subjective. If you can apply the terms after people are 'trained,' then why can't you apply the terms beforehand?
Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cultures that believe in reincarnation think that we enter the world with a certain amount of entries on the karmic balance sheet depending on one's behavior in past lives ... therefore each time around the wheel of life is spent both working off prior accululated karmic debt as well as generating new entries. While negative or bad karma is not viewed in the same way that Judeo-Christian cultures view sin, it's to some extent analogous.

This whole discussion, however, leads to the one about the existence of evil. (I'm pretty sure about that one, personally. Evil is quite real, tangible, and observable in many cases.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 02:28 AM   #11
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there some latent evil in social behavior that is not evident in "natural man" (apart from social interaction)? If so, how is this different from the idea of original sin?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*****Um... If the logic is that evil is taught by society then you're talking about 'Original innocence.'
No, the evil is still latent in the individuals, and only becomes apparent when they interact in society. This is what "original sin" postulates, that there is a tendency toward evil behavior within humans.

The burden is on those who oppose "original sin" to demonstrate how society, as constructed of individuals, can be evil and teach evil when each of the individual members is purely good.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Oh ok, Smooth. Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding. Hmm, okay I'll play devils advocate though. Don't you think the pressure society puts on us to "succeed" and have material things might lead people to stray from what they know is good?
Quote:
From Syc:
I don't buy the original sin concept. That's like giving us an 0-2 count upon birth...nonsense.
      Hey Syc, what about all the kids that are born retarded and/or otherwise disabled? They sure as hell started off with the score stacked against them. Why not start off a big ol' blackmark on the soul?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #13
dave

Here's the reason: because sin and Adam and Eve and all that shit is <b>made up</b>. Because babies <b>are</b> born retarded, and as Lewis Black says, if there was a just and loving God, he wouldn't allow that kind of shit to go down. It's all dreamt up for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it's nicer to believe there's a reason your kid is retarded instead of thinking that it was just dumb fucking luck and bad genetics. Unfortunately, religion (especially Christianity and Islam) has spread like wildfire, so we have billions of misguided people doing all sorts of crazy shit in God's name (again, most of which he wouldn't let happen if he really existed). The Holocaust has been traced directly to the fundamentalist Christian notion that all Jews, past and present, are responsible for the crucifiction. Then we've got the Crusades. And hey, most recently, fundamentalist Muslims crashing planes in to buildings to kill infidels.

Religion does a lot of good, but it does far more harm. I didn't want to step up and alienate at the time, but juju is right when saying that religion is a crock of shit. He just needed to narrow it a bit and say that any one that believes in a single benevolent creator has their eyes so fucking closed that it seriously isn't funny (as in millions and millions of people unnecessarily murdered not-funny).

So, this whole concept of "original sin" is a crock of shit. It's made up. Pray to the fairy fucking godmother for all I care but let's stop trying to intellectually discuss religion. It's like trying to find an explanation for Neo's flying abilities in the Matrix. It's a made up story. We're discussing fairy tales.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:56 AM   #14
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
Posted by me:
original sin is not a purely christian idea. There's an argument that infants are utterly selfish. That they care about nothing but themselves and only develop any moral structure with age because it's taught to them.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Oh and as far as the whole Jews killing Christ goes ever listen to Lenny Bruce? He said some really funny shit on the topic.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:41 AM   #15
dave

Infants, like other animals, are trying to survive. It's part of our instinct, because we have evolved by surviving. The ones without that instinct are fossils.

So if they're selfish, it just means that they're survivors. We didn't get where we are today by being generous and doing unto others as we'd have them do unto us. We said "hey, I am hungry and that guy is weaker than me. If I kill him, I can take his meal."

That's how babies are selfish. If you were going to argue that they had an inherent desire for money or jewels or something, I'd suggest you reconsider your argument after engaging your brain. But I don't think that's what is being argued.

Anyway, every living thing is selfish. Why? Because the ones that aren't already died by throwing away their chances.