The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

View Poll Results: Old or new Testament God at parties: Who's more fun?
New Testament 6 27.27%
Old Testament 8 36.36%
No God is any fun at parties. 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Old or New Testament God: Which is more fun at parties?

I was just reading the Virgin Treestump thread over in IOTD and I got to thinking, "Ya know, that Old Testament version of God would sure be a hell of a lot more fun at a party." What with the smiting and casting out and such. On the other hand as I recall, the New Testament gives us Jesus turning water to wine, that's gotta be the ultimate party trick. I guess it depends on what kind of party. Old Testament would definately be better if there's a mosh pit involved. New would be far better if the muchies run short. What do you guys think?
Old 11-15-2003, 12:47 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Got to go with New Testament. Water into wine is cool but joint into brick amuses me. Stoning the sinners takes on new meaning.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

well ... I voted, but the choice I would have preferred was not available.

I think it would be totally happening to party with some of the pre-christian gods.

Come on ... Bacchus bringing the wine, Zeus livening things up with a coupla chicks and some pyrotechnics, and Loki catching people off guard with a whoopie cushion ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 03:43 PM   #4
God
Not half the God I used to be

No God is any fun at parties?! Fuck you! (flips the bird)

I hear a lot of alcohol inspired prayers at parties dammit. Ususally early in the morning and while someone is hanging over the toilet bowl.

See if I save your asses after a long night's over indulgence again.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

"giving thanks"

Quote:
Originally posted by God
No God is any fun at parties?! Fuck you! (flips the bird)

I hear a lot of alcohol inspired prayers at parties dammit. Ususally early in the morning and while someone is hanging over the toilet bowl.

See if I save your asses after a long night's over indulgence again.
Thank you God for not having the cops bust down the door of any dwelling that I partied at where there was weed, A-freakin'-men!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Wolf, you are right in that I probably should have had a "Non-Christian God" option. Didn't think of it. I will say, however, I wouldn't be for that scenario. As a single male the last thing I need is a bunch of gods in the room. Talk about a sure way to kill my chances of meeting someone...

God, sorry dude, but it appears the Cellarites won't be inviting you to any big parties. Not my fault, I thought you'd be fun...

Rho, Philly cops must be different from cops around here. If the cops show up it means they brought the good stuff. Unless they're in uniform, then they want half your bag for free...
Old 11-16-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I don't think I could invite God for a variety of reasons. I mean, what if God is an angry drunk? I bet its really tough to convince him to leave once he gets going, too. Witnessing the "miracle of turning wine into urine" is not something I'd enjoy happening at my house, either.

And as for the responses I've gotten from praying, "oh, God, please make the room stop spinning", "please, let me throw up", and "please, make the throwing up stop" I do not want to see what his sense of humor is like at a social gathering.

Last edited by Kitsune; 11-16-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
.... won't be inviting you to any big parties. Not my fault, I thought you'd be fun...
I can be. The reality is though, there isnt enough time to go round partying. Trying to save this planet from it's own governments is a full time job.....weekends are especially busy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune
.....what if God is an angry drunk?
Thats not normally a problem although I might chase your wife.

Last edited by God; 11-16-2003 at 11:58 PM.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 10:41 PM   #9
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
God said:
Thats not normally a problem although I might fuck your wife.
      Really? This surprises me God, 'cause I thought you were into virgins?
      By the by, Kitsune's right, you've got a sick sense of humor.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:21 AM   #10
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

Seems like you aren't voting for what god you'd like at a party, you're voting what party you'd rather be at. I voted old time god, but we'd have a theme going. Pimps and hos or some such. God would dig it. Any new testament parties would have jesus, who we all know would be the stoner. He'd set up the holy hookah, we'd all get baked off our holy asses. Or we could have an acid trip party. Enki and Athena would show up and start talking about interesting shit. People would have mind-blowing epiphanies.
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
Rho, Philly cops must be different from cops around here. If the cops show up it means they brought the good stuff. Unless they're in uniform, then they want half your bag for free...
Ah, but I was living in Baltimore at that time, so I must have been REALLY lucky, eh? LOL.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I think it would be totally happening to party with some of the pre-christian gods.

Come on ... Bacchus bringing the wine, Zeus livening things up with a coupla chicks and some pyrotechnics, and Loki catching people off guard with a whoopie cushion ...
We call this the Heartland Pagan Festival 'round these here parts...

If we're talking which version of Jehovah, though, I've gotta go with the NT version. My behavior at parties has often required extreme forgiveness, and the OT version wasn't big on that. If I end up puking in God's lap, I want him to excuse me for my sin.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 AM   #13
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Rho, a decade or so back a guy I knew got pulled over. Now normally this is a pain in the ass but as he had hot boxed his car he knew he was screwed. Especialy when his dad, a police captain, found out. Anyway, the cop comes up and says, "Sir did you realize that you... Have you been smoking pot in here?"
      Knowing probable cause had been established the guy says, "I'm not going to lie to you sir, yes I have."
      The cop says, "Do you still have a bag with you?"
      The guy answers, "I'm not going to lie sir, yes I do."
      The cop orders him to give up the bag, which he does and goes back to his car with it. The dude is sitting their waiting to get hauled off when the cop returns with the bag, with only half the contents from earlier, and says, "I don't want to see you around here anymore boy."
      The guy says, "No sir, thank you sir." And get's the hell out of there.
      Ah, Arkie cops. Lovely bunch.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 PM   #14
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Have you guys heard that parody, "What if God smoked Cannibis?"

I have it in mp3, if anyone wants it.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote