The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #16
warch
lurkin old school

I live in Minneapolis/st paul (on the border between) and have a car, but could easily survive without one. I bike, walk to work.
Longer distances are more of a challenge, but light rail is starting to root. Ive lived elsewhere but wanted to move back here. I like it quite a lot. It is not too hard to find excellent public schools in either twin city and you have choice within the districts. If you'd like more detail, feel free to PM me.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Don't completely write DC off...it just depends on where you live in the area. There are several nice neighborhoods on the east side of the red line--particularly Brookline in DC, Takoma Park on the DC/MD border, and Silver Spring in Montgomery County, MD. The green line will give you Hyattsville and College Park in Prince Georges County, MD. And the orange and yellow lines will give you Arlington and Alexandria in VA, which are still decent price-wise (though not as cheap as the other two).

And you could probably do NYC--Queens or Staten Island.

Chicago has an excellent public transit system: CTA subways and buses, Pace suburban buses, and Metra regional rail. Cost of living is decent, though I don't know about the job market there right now...I would imagine it's pretty decent.

You may also want to consider Baltimore. Decent transportation access in the city, low cost of living and easy access to Washington via MARC.

Now, let's talk about Philadelphia.

The cost of living here is pretty good, compared to most cities. Job market seems to be picking up again. SEPTA is decent for getting around. Lots of history and culture. Good healthcare systems.

Now, the drawbacks:

--The City of Philadelphia has one of the highest wage taxes in the US. For city residents, it runs at about 4.7%; a percent or so less for those that just work in the city.

--SEPTA is one of the most expensive transit systems in the country. $2 for a ride on the bus or subways, 60 cents for a transfer. Tokens (which you can buy at many places) are $1.30. Regional rail fares depend on where you live: I pay $127 a month to ride one of the regional rail lines from the edge of the city to Center City (3 zones according to SEPTA)...and that also lets me ride the buses and trains as often as I want (up to 3 zones).

--SEPTA is threatening to make substantial service cuts unless it gets more state funding soon...if the proposed cuts go through, it's going to be ugly: 4 regional rail lines within the city will be slashed as well as several bus routes. Fares for the rails will go up, and the number of trips the transit vehicles make will probably decrease.

--The El and Subway are horrible. Disgusting. Stay away from them as much as possible. Try to do regional rail close to home or a bus/rail connection.

(Incidentally, FNF...SEPTA is supposedly talking about doing away with that guarantee.)

--Thank God you won't have a car...car insurance in this state is ridiculous, especially in the city.

--School system is improving, but currently under state control. Not recommended unless you live in one of the better neighborhoods...and even then, I'd be leery.

--In some neighborhoods, you're damned near an enemy to the residents, especially if you live in an apartment. It may take some time for people to adjust to you, if ever.

So, having said all this, where are good places to live in the area that might meet your needs?

City of Philadelphia:
--East Falls
--Mt. Airy
--Torresdale/Morrell Park (where I currently live)
--Holmesburg
--Modena Park
--Parkview
--Somerton
--Bustleton
--Eastwick
--Queen Village

Montgomery County
--Abington
--Glenside
--Jenkintown
--Cheltenham
--Bala Cynwyd

Bucks County
--Bensalem
--Langhorne

Delaware County
--Upper Darby
--Springfield
--Media

Camden County, NJ
--Mount Laurel
--Lindenwold
--Pennsauken

New Castle County, DE
--New Castle
--Claymont
--Newark
--Wilmington (some parts...not many, but some are nice)

I would recommend checking out philly.com, which covers our two local daily papers, our main weekly paper, and our ABC affiliate. Also good to look at is Digital City's Philadelphia page.

Rho and I have lived here for 3 years now, all at the same place here in the city--it's not paradise, but it's not bad.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #18
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I'm in Minneapolis too. The buses are pretty good here, and if you've seen the website, you know they have a nifty online trip planner, which I've had a lot of success with.

It's true longer distances are a hassle. I took the bus to school once (from NE Mpls to Mendota Heights) and it took three transfers and two hours. It is normally a half hour drive. I see you're in Louisiana... it gets cold here and most of our bus stops are unsheltered. I'm really wimpy for a Minnesotan, so I don't use the buses very regularly.

The Twin Cities are catching up to the rest of the modern world. Soon there will be a light rail system spanning from downtown Minneapolis to the Mall of America and the MSP airport. Also a commuter line is planned to go from St Cloud MN to connect with the light rail. This commuter line will go straight through my neighborhood (NE Mpls) and connect up with the Light Rail. So one of these years, I'll be able to take the train system all the way to Mall of America or the airport. Pretty cool.

Also, I think DC is definitely the cleanest Subway system I have ever seen (well, it would tie with Singapore). I also like the Boston train system, and Chicago is pretty good too.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:08 PM   #19
dave

We're clean here on the DC Metro because they will ARREST you for eating, drinking or chewing gum on it. I kid you not.

(There was an uproar a few years ago 'cause they detained a five year old girl for eating something. They are ruthless.)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #20
elSicomoro

The only real problem with Metrorail right now is that the original system is starting to show its age...there were quite a few broken down trains, elevators and other issues when I lived there in 1999-2000.

I have a few horror stories, but nothing compared to SEPTA. I love Metrorail...one of the few things I miss about DC.

Rho and I tried twice to cover all 87 stations (at the time) in one day...the one time, we only missed the last 3 stops on the green line to Greenbelt b/c at the time, Metrorail still shut down at midnight on the weekends. The second time, we wound up stopping at this great Chinese sit-down restaurant in Arlington, then said fuck it.

I'm going to have to try it again soon.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #21
dave

The funniest thing about it is that you can do it pretty freaking cheap, so long as you get on and get off at the same stop.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:44 PM   #22
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
[b]
So, having said all this, where are good places to live in the area that might meet your needs?

I can add a few to syc's list . A very nice list, might i add. You know, no one writes a list like sycamore....except maybe george carlin....and Santa. any way:

City of Philadelphia:
--East Falls
--Mt. Airy
--Torresdale/Morrell Park (where I currently live)
--Holmesburg
--Modena Park
--Parkview
--Somerton
--Bustleton
--Eastwick
--Queen Village

Montgomery County
--Abington
--Glenside
--Jenkintown
--Cheltenham
--Bala Cynwyd

Bucks County
--Bensalem
--Langhorne

Delaware County
--Upper Darby
--Springfield
--Media

aston
clifton heights
newtown square

*Chester County
**exton
**downingtown
**paoli
**malvern
**Thorndale/Coatesville(stay east of 13th ave)

Camden County, NJ
--Mount Laurel
--Lindenwold
--Pennsauken

New Castle County, DE
--New Castle
--Claymont
--Newark
--Wilmington (some parts...not many, but some are nice)
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #23
tonksy
100:10100

thanks everyone. it's a pretty daunting decision but i think that it is now between philly and boston....minneapolis is a little too far from where my mom is living...not that i want to be close...just not far. i don't know anything about the areas of either. i suppose i have alot of research to do but i do appreciate anything you want to pass my way i've been looking for a ranking of the nations public schools to see were PA and MA fall but i am not having much luck. thanks again for the info.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:06 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

MA is expensive. Very expensive.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:11 PM   #25
elSicomoro

That's true, Dave, though I'd rather buy the all day pass for $5 (or whatever it costs now), so that I can leave the stations and take breaks when needed.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 11-14-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:14 PM   #26
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

do yourself a favor and go visit both places fiirst

the people in boston are nasty! worse than NY

i have a theory: the further north east you go, the nastier people get....i've traveled across ctry a few times and have noticed a marked pattern...arizona, colorado, kansas all very nice......the actual corelation might be between elbow room and nastiness.

what brings someone to move to another city based on its public transportation and schools? do you have a stalker? got a lot of unpaid parking tickets? wanted by the INS?
it's best to come clean right away and save the embarrasment of futile resistance to the truth.

vee haff vays of makking que taalk
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #27
elSicomoro

I disagree with you, Jim...most of the people I've met in Boston are rather friendly folk...nicer than here.

NYC isn't quite as bad as some folks make it out to be...crazy drivers though.

Some people just want a change of scenery...that's why I moved to Washington, DC, then here. And since she'll need to get around by public transit and put her kids in school, those issues are going to be critical factors in her decision.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:20 PM   #28
tonksy

i am seperating. i don't drive. i have two girls. no family really *shrugs*
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #29
elSicomoro

Go for it...Rho and I will probably make at least one more move...hopefully to Chicago in the next 2-3 years.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #30
tonksy

also, jim? visiting isn't really an issue. kinda can't.