The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #5326
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Maybe it is only mildly irritating, but it is pretty horrid right now.
Dinner recipe called for real onions, not red onions. I always buy red onions because they are milder, less likely to give me onion breath and they hust my eyes less.

Sweet FSM I was unprepared for the ferocity of white onions after all this time.
Wept copiously and still sore now.
Hurt worse than buggery, but with none of the delayed pleasure.
Well, maybe after 3 hours when my casserole is done, but I'm sharing it with the'rents so that similie is more inappropriate than ever.

I am all prepped, casserole in oven, hands washed and back up here. But still want to grind my fists into my eyes saying, "Ow! Ow! Stop it!"

If'n I ever get to go to a "What Scares You The Most" party (I may hold one for me & the Dizcat) I will go as a strong onion. Diz will go as Dinner Being Late, though I'm not sure how we can portray that. A very existential cat is Diz.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #5327
glatt

I've heard that if you cut them underwater then they don't bother your eyes. I wonder who first came up with that idea, and if they ever tried it. How in the world are you supposed to cut onions under water?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #5328
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh well. Just heard Mum say, "I didn't think that much of it, not seeing she'd been cooking it since lunchtime."
1) not true, it was in the oven for 3 hours is all. I was doing sweet FA.
2) ow
3) bet Nigel Slater's Mum never said that

ETA.
Maybe I misheard.
More likely Mum was saying one thing to me and something else to Dad.
But she called upstairs to say the meat was absolutely gogeous. Which makes me think it is the latter. She may not have enjoyed the sauce or other ingredients (she did say there was far too much onion) but she loved the pigs' cheeks.

Good enough for me. Happy again.
Esp bearing in mind they were about £1.20.

Last edited by Sundae; 10-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #5329
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Neighbors are adding a room onto their house, which they rent, how's that for a good landlord?

Sawing, hammering, and, of all things, grinding on something...ON SUNDAY. The mower should start in a hour, or so.

Inconsiderate morons...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #5330
limegreenc
shed door curio

A skunk just sprayed somewhere outside tonight and the entire house stinks.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #5331
glatt

My wife asked me to buy some Avett Brothers tickets since she doesn't have computer access at work. There is going to be a small pre-sale of 600 seats starting at 1:00pm today just for the fans on the mailing list. She sent me the email with the instructions.

So 15 minutes ago, I pull up the email to check out that I can get to the site. and it appears the tickets went on sale at noon. They were already gone.

She told me several times it was at 1:00, so I didn't read the email closely. Oh well. We'll be fighting the masses for the remaining 9000 seats in a week or two instead of the fanatics for the 600 seats today.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #5332
monster
I hear them call the tide

Sundae, contacts prevent onion eyes. So when you win the lottery and get some groovy Halloween lenses, wear them to chop. I used to cry with one eye chopping onions when I only wore one lens.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #5333
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Contact lenses concentrate the irritating chemicals underneath, against the cornea. They make any irritant or toxic exposure many times worse. When someone comes in with an exposure to fumes/aerosols/gases/airborne irritants, the first thing to do is to take the contacts out.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #5334
monster

but they work for onions.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #5335
monster

and chlorine fumes. But don't swim in them unless you wear goggles.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #5336
monster

oh and some people find they ease hayfever symptoms too, although others find they exacerbate them.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #5337
orthodoc

I'm glad your contacts work when you're cutting onions, but as a general principle, contacts concentrate any airborne chemical underneath. Typically this results in increased irritation. Chlorine fumes would definitely be concentrated, which explains your recommendation not to swim while wearing contacts unless you wear goggles.

Every airborne chemical will be concentrated between a contact lens and the cornea. Onions, chlorine, it doesn't matter.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #5338
monster

Yeah, I'm unique. lucky me When I win the lottery, I'm going to buy me a set of conformity.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #5339
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yeah, I'm unique. lucky me
Yeah, given that everyone else is by definition not unique, you might want to hold off on recommending that they all chop onions with contact lenses in.

It's not likely to end happily, is all I'm sayin'.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #5340
limegreenc
shed door curio

This wouldn't happen if you use sweet onions. They're more expensive but no more tears.

Tags
mild cheddar