The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #16
dkb218
Non-Newbie Sort

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
...you are simply jealous that you cannot understand the brilliance of european culture.
Yes, alas we the uncouth really can't wrap our brains around such wonderful, simulating European masterpieces such as this...
dkb218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

A bunch of sticks and twine stuck together with spit, glopped onto the side of a building with Gray Lesser Spotted Belgian doing a stop-motion swan dive out the spittle riddled opening is "brilliant"? Well then call me crap loving, since I prefer Renoir, Degas, and Ansel Adams to a bunch of twigs and saliva.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
warch
lurkin old school

well...ya gotta admit, that's a lot of spit. I'm a bit impressed.
Maybe he's trying to attract a mate.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #19
kerosene
Touring the facilities

And here I go with the unpopular opinion: I like it. I can't really understand why, but something about the nest itself looks pretty neat on the side of that building. Whatever the artist was trying to represent, he crafted something neat.

then again, I also liked the big pile of bananas in London. I would have liked to stand in fornt of it and smell it. Something about the physical aspects of that kind of art is attractive to me. Not so much the message, but the actual physical thing that is created (even if it is kind of stupid).
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #20
glatt

I like it too. It's neat. And different.

But I wouldn't want my tax dollars supporting it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #21
kerosene
Touring the facilities

There are worse things our tax dollars could (and do) support. I dunno. I guess I just liked the idea of a giant bird's nest much better than that of some of the other things our tax money goes toward, but that is a subject meant for another thread, I suppose.

Anyway, I like it. No I don't want half my income going to it, but it doesn't, so that's cool.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
Anyway, I like it. No I don't want half my income going to it, but it doesn't, so that's cool.
Not that you're directly aware of. We still hand out shitloads of foreign aid. Who knows what the foreigners do with it? And we're still owed for WWII, or was that finally determined to be unrecoverable?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #23
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Not that you're directly aware of. We still hand out shitloads of foreign aid. Who knows what the foreigners do with it? And we're still owed for WWII, or was that finally determined to be unrecoverable?

Correct.
Maybe we should just "shut up" and become "couth" enough to just forget the debts from the past. Let those idiots use their money to create substandard mockeries of nature instead of paying their goddam bills.
I'll chose uncouth over irresponsible anyday.
Even though these people don't have talent to produce real art, you gotta hand it to them: they still continue to submit these dumbass exhibits shamelessly. In most of their country I guess stupidity is accepted as the norm. If they keep trying maybe one day they can actually create some real art, and eventually come closer to the superior talent and intelligence levels that we americans enjoy..................
Old 06-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The piss-christ guy was an american wasn't he? And NEA funded? And the Virgin Mary Dung "painting" another American artistic triumph.

It's gotten so you can't get a good picture on black velvet any more. I really wanted that white tiger to go with the Elvis ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #25
warch
lurkin old school

Right on, Case!

Serrano's Piss Christ is actually a really fascinating image. It is provokative, personal, and there is a lot to discuss. It a beautiful photograph. I'm glad I helped to pay for part of his grant.

I'm a bit wary when governments get uppity about degenerate art. It has historically been bad.
And why should governments support the arts? Because they (images, text, drama, music) are our family pictures. You might not like the whole album, but when the house is burning down, its the stuff you race to save- its the stuff with meaning.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #26
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I reckon I just have this "thing" about the nest art.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
snip--
Even though these people don't have talent to produce real art, you gotta hand it to them: they still continue to submit these dumbass exhibits shamelessly. In most of their country I guess stupidity is accepted as the norm. If they keep trying maybe one day they can actually create some real art, and eventually come closer to the superior talent and intelligence levels that we americans enjoy..................
I'll bet they all have groupies.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #28
LCanal
I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Quote:
An example of superior American art which is a little knowm landmark in the City Of Spires (Oxford) also in Britain. It was erected in 1986. http://www.headington.org.uk/history/misc/shark.htm
Attached Images