The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #76
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

the words i have for those people, well, i'm just not going to say it here. i might actually offend people here that i care about.

here's a news article on it.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 AM   #77
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Some people around here find it odd that I include "ammunition" on my hurricane supplies checklist. I'm sad, however, because I was starting to think that item on my list no longer served much of a purpose and that we'd never seen the violent outbreaks like we saw with hurricane Andrew. What is happening in New Orleans is really eye opening.

Does anyone think New Orleans is a special case? We did not see this level of violence and anarchy during the 2004 hurricane season in Florida.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #78
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

no we didn't. the idiots in N.O. that are shooting are a bunch of uneducated stupid fucking neanderthals that don't even deserve to be with my ex wife.

edit: just to clarify, the shooters, looters, and no good doers.

Last edited by plthijinx; 09-01-2005 at 10:44 AM.
plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #79
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
hey lj, check out slide #29.
So, LJ, is that thing true about "never buy a car within 8 months after major flooding?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #80
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Els:

4 navy amphibious ships are en route from Norfolk now. I agree with your point. Also, hasn't this historically been a job where the National Guard steps in first? Same problem, different symptom.
[speaking for]The Guard's a bit busy right now fighting an unjust war in Iraq ... See, the disaster is all Bush's fault. First, for causing global warming and making there be more hurricanes, and now any errors related to the recovery (based on disaster plans that have been in place, but refined) since the 60s) is also Bush's Fault. Oh, and it's Bush's fault that all the money that was given to New Orleans over the last 35 years for preparation for such a thing was wasted (instead it went into the pockets of possibly the most corrupt municipal government in the country).[/the left]

I did not, incidentally, make any of that up. I was driving through New Jersey yesterday and about halfway up the Garden State could no longer pick up my radio station. So I ended up channel surfing and found Air America. I have never listened to Air America. I actually put up with about 15 minutes of the above crap before I surfed around to find something tolerable to listen to.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #81
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Can someone explain to me why in the hell people would be shooting at the rescue crews and fire departments? What is going through these people's minds?
We are all less than a paycheck away from savagery.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #82
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

a local radio station here is doing a Requestathon . any song you want as long as you pay for it. Here's the price list from their website:
$30 - Buzz Songs
$60 - Non-Buzz Songs
$80 - Way off The Buzz Path (example: Barry Manilow)
$200 - Local Bands
You say it ... and pay it ... we'll play it!! Call 713-212-KTBZ to place your request

y'all can listen here
Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #83
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! from CNN

BREAKING NEWS New Orleans hospital halts patient evacuations after coming under sniper fire, a doctor who witnessed the incident says. More soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #84
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wolf-the disaster isn't Bush's fault. His INADEQUATE response is his fault. He simply is not prepared to handle these things. It never came up while he was at Yale, skipping class and partyin' hardy! He is, however, very prepared should someone need a fourth at bridge.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #85
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx
a local radio station here is doing a Requestathon . any song you want as long as you pay for it. Here's the price list from their website:
$30 - Buzz Songs
$60 - Non-Buzz Songs
$80 - Way off The Buzz Path (example: Barry Manilow)
$200 - Local Bands
You say it ... and pay it ... we'll play it!! Call 713-212-KTBZ to place your request

y'all can listen here
We have a local station in KC that has this kind of fundraising every year, except they'll play anything for $25.00 minimum, even your own demo tapes.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #86
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

that's a pretty cool deal!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #87
Kitsune
still eats dirt

<a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/">Journal of a guy in a datacenter in downtown NO</a>, complete with webcam.

...and, if you can connect, point your WinAmp/iTunes to http://216.22.26.45:8002/ and give a listen. It is a police scanner feed of the EOC in the area. I assume the feed is packed and might bounce you out, but keep trying.

The atrocities I've heard so far are maddening. I've heard several "Code 4s" (homicides) this afternoon, including a the shooting of a ferry boat captain who was attempting to get people out of the area.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #88
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

http://www.scipionus.com/

FOund this on Nola....

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #89
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Wolf-the disaster isn't Bush's fault. His INADEQUATE response is his fault. He simply is not prepared to handle these things.
THAT is the point that everyone should grasp like a life jacket. When the top man, days later, still does not get it, then all those little heros without names are left to organize the impossible by themselves. Watch the news.

George Jr today said that no one expected levees to fail. Everyone with minimal intelligence knew breeches would occur with any storm above Category 3. Katrina was Category 5. Everyone knew days before; repeatedly discussing 'the bowl'. George Jr, mental midget, lives in another world. Four days later, George Jr still says no one expect levees to be breached. How do those little heros get support and organization they desperately require when the president just does not get it. Is he looking to blame this on .... Iran (as he also blamed 11 September on Saddam)?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #90
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My God, it's a quagmire.

first to say it: 9/1/05 7:03 pm eastern
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote