The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Dreams (sweet or otherwise)

I do not sleep well and when I do sleep most of the time I dream so vividly I might as well be awake. In short, my brain seems to work harder while I am asleep than when I am awake.
You may wish to make up your own jokes at this point

The dreams are rarely entertaining and are mostly just utter nonsense. However, I have one recurring dream. It isn’t the same in every detail each time but the underlying theme is the same. In short I am lost.
I usually know the starting point of a journey and where I wish to be, but I become lost en-route and never arrive before waking. I could be driving, walking or otherwise mobile but I never get there and it drives me to distraction.

Any fellow sufferers out there who wish to compare notes?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

www.radiolab.org/story/91536-dreams/

Well worth the hour spent. One theory is that the mind is reviewing the *possible* combinations to some puzzle encountered while awake. The segment with the rats comes to mind.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for passing on that link BigV, I'm grateful to you.
I'll listen to it tomorrow, or possibly in the middle of the night when I shall no doubt be wide awake in between dream sessions!

Carruthers
Old 03-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I used to remember my dreams clearly and indefinitely, but now I forget them pretty thoroughly within the first minute or two of waking. It's because I never wake up naturally anymore, and I have things to do as soon as my feet touch the floor, so I start thinking about those tasks instead and before I know it the dream is gone.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #5
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I didn't dream for the entire time I was in treatment, and for months after. Just dozed and woke. More recently I've begun dreaming again, but none of it is good. I put it down to the meds. I'd almost prefer to go back to dozing.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

I remember dreaming last night about using my big work shop vacuum to vacuum up a lot of sand and dirt on a floor. Ok, Ok, my house does need a cleaning but can't I get away from all of this when I sleep?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Last night I was in my local off licence, a place I shopped in every day, AND used their Internet service AND was a member of their forum.
I thought I was a familiar face, a bit quirky, a good and valued customer. As such I did chat to the staff, made suggestions, perhaps asked for a few favours like them getting stock out when I knew it was in the back.

I was catering for a work do, or a get-together, and decided after doing the rest of my shopping (because it was now a cash and carry) that I needed an extra bottle of red wine. So I apologised to the person on the checkout and went to get it. Only to find a copy of a report on customer feedback had been left out by mistake. Nosey old me, I read it. There, at the bottom, was a cut and pasted section I'd written, with notes by the Duty Manager, explaining why they weren't paying it any attention. Apparently I was "known to them" and was understood to be a difficult, demanding customer, overly familiar and self-important. The Store Manager agreed with this assessment and reassured the DM that she could ignore anything from me in future, and give me a *-* rating, which s shorthand for all of the above.

I woke up briefly, extremely hurt.
Drifted off again, playing with various scenarios where I confronted them, or waged guerilla attacks on them.

When I woke properly I was so relieved, because I finally realised it was a dream; even the location was bogus, being based where my childhood newsagent was. It was just a drink-guilt dream, mixed with the fact I have a complaint about my dot.com delivery from work which I am trying to find a reasonable way to raise, and that I was online here before I slept.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh that sounds horrible. I hate dreams like that.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Last night I was in my local off licence, a place I shopped in every day, AND used their Internet service AND was a member of their forum.
I thought I was a familiar face, a bit quirky, a good and valued customer. As such I did chat to the staff, made suggestions, perhaps asked for a few favours like them getting stock out when I knew it was in the back.

I was catering for a work do, or a get-together, and decided after doing the rest of my shopping (because it was now a cash and carry) that I needed an extra bottle of red wine. So I apologised to the person on the checkout and went to get it. Only to find a copy of a report on customer feedback had been left out by mistake. Nosey old me, I read it. There, at the bottom, was a cut and pasted section I'd written, with notes by the Duty Manager, explaining why they weren't paying it any attention. Apparently I was "known to them" and was understood to be a difficult, demanding customer, overly familiar and self-important. The Store Manager agreed with this assessment and reassured the DM that she could ignore anything from me in future, and give me a *-* rating, which s shorthand for all of the above.

I woke up briefly, extremely hurt.
Drifted off again, playing with various scenarios where I confronted them, or waged guerilla attacks on them.

When I woke properly I was so relieved, because I finally realised it was a dream; even the location was bogus, being based where my childhood newsagent was. It was just a drink-guilt dream, mixed with the fact I have a complaint about my dot.com delivery from work which I am trying to find a reasonable way to raise, and that I was online here before I slept.
My word, that was a remarkably detailed account, Sundae.

The only detail I remember from my dreams last night, was waking at 00.30 believing that my dad had was shouting for me. It was a minute or two before I realised that I had been dreaming, but I still got up and checked that his light wasn't on and ascertained, as far as I could, that all was well. Yesterday evening I was summoned in short order because I had forgotten to record a TV programme for him* and that was obviously at the root of things.

The trouble is that he uses the same tone of urgency, at the same volume, for a minor domestic matter as he does for a life threatening emergency. It frightens the living daylights out of me every time as I naturally expect the worst!

Nerves worn to a frazzle? Me? No... you must all be thinking of someone else.

*All is well. There's a repeat on late tonight. I am redeemed. I'm still worn out though...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I remember most of my dreams, and remember them in detail including the emotions they generate.
I can also track many of the images and issues back to their source during the day.
It's a talent

Sorry bout your Dad.
Grandad was the same. I remember Mum rushing round there once because he'd broken his bedside lamp. It was faux-Tiffany and had a glass cover. His tone of urgency had her expecting the worst - shards everywhere and Grandad with his feet cut to ribbons. No. Somehow the plug had worked its way out of the socket. Broken as in not working, not as in shattered. She was though, he called at ridiculous o'clock, despite the fact that one of his carers was due (Mum met her coming in while she was leaving)

Your Dad is lucky to have a decent son like you.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Your Dad is lucky to have a decent son like you.
That's the kindest thing anyone has said to me in years. Thanks, Sundae.