The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #406
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

what I said was that I don't follow your orders.

very libertarian of you
Old 03-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #407
glatt

I was undecided until I saw the CBS debates. I have decide I’m voting for Amy Klobuchar tomorrow.

She’s in last place the last time I checked, but she’s my favorite. So even though I am probably throwing my vote away, she the one who gets it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #408
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
very libertarian of you

One thing that has always puzzled me about libertarians is that they cannot accept that you can be a member of society and still maintain your individuality.

In short, I am going to do what's best for society as a whole. What UG wants in this thread is irrelevant to the general welfare of society, therefore I choose not to follow his orders.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #409
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I have decide I’m voting for Amy Klobuchar tomorrow.
Luckily it's not tomorrow yet... but now what?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #410
glatt

Well, shoot.

I actually liked her. Now I have to hold my nose a bit. And make a decision.

The remaining candidates really came across poorly to me in the debate. Trying too hard to seem aggressive.

And if she endorsed Biden, that means Sanders won't select her as a running mate when he wins. His running mate is going to be important since he will likely die in office.

Grr.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #411
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
One thing that has always puzzled me about libertarians is that they cannot accept that you can be a member of society and still maintain your individuality.
One thing that doesn't surprise me about non-libertarians is how they don't understand that libertarianism is an umbrella with a whole whack of differing ideas under it.

I've explained mine (which ain't got nuthin' to do with individualism and which certainly doesn't preclude cooperation).
Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #412
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
The remaining candidates really came across poorly to me in the debate. Trying too hard to seem aggressive.
I like Warren's aggressiveness; most of her attacks on Bloomberg would only need a name swap to apply to Trump.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #413
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:

And if she endorsed Biden, that means Sanders won't select her as a running mate when he wins. His running mate is going to be important since he will likely die in office.

Grr.
Sanders is likely to check mid-term out as well.

I assume Bloomberg is bribing folks to leave the race...
Old 03-03-2020, 01:38 AM   #414
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bloomburg is in their to help his billionaire buddy Trump by confusing the democrats as much as he can.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #415
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bloomburg is in their to help his billionaire buddy Trump by confusing the democrats as much as he can.
Because some rich people are corrupt, then all rich people are corrupt? Another blanket lie that fails to address reality.

Trump and Bloomberg have always been at odds. And for obvious reasons. Bloomberg got rich by making things. He comes from where the work gets done. He, like so many other rich and responsible people (Gates, Turner, Buffett) got rich by actually making something.

The evil rich got that way by only screwing others. Trump being the classic example of an evil rich man.

Only brainwashing calls all rich men good or evil. Good ones come from where the work gets done. William Clay Ford, for example, knew how to drive a car. His father did not even have a license.

Having money only means one must then ask "Did he earn it or pilfer it?" Why is Putin so rich? Thief. Why were Bill and Dave (Hewlett and Packard), Elon Musk, Larry Page, and Sergey Brin rich? They innovated like any patriotic American. They advanced America and its economy by making things necessary and productive.

Ask not whether the guy is rich. Ask how he got rich. That says so much about whether he is good or evil. The good innovate. The evil even stiff their contractors.

Bloomberg, like Biden, has a long history of advancing America. Neither go about throwing hand grenades at everything.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #416
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Wow, that escalated quickly.

I voted yesterday for Bernie Sanders. We'll see in six days how the rest of Washington voted.

I'm not going to miss the primary winner of American Samoa, Mike Bloomberg. This always felt like a vanity project of his. I think he sincerely detests the leadership of President Trump but the prospect of Yet Another Bazillionaire buying the office made me want to puke.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #417
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I'm not going to miss the primary winner of American Samoa, Mike Bloomberg.
The best thing he did was preventing Gabbard from winning anything.
Quote:
This always felt like a vanity project of his. I think he sincerely detests the leadership of President Trump but the prospect of Yet Another Bazillionaire buying the office made me want to puke.
He was pretty clear about why he was running - to prevent Sanders or Warren from raising his taxes, and when he entered Biden looked very weak. Now Biden looks strong, so he feels confident that his tax rate is safe.

[eta]Now he can begin the beneficial part of his campaign, and spend lots of money to specifically beat Trump.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #418
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
The best thing he did was preventing Gabbard from winning anything.He was pretty clear about why he was running - to prevent Sanders or Warren from raising his taxes, and when he entered Biden looked very weak. Now Biden looks strong, so he feels confident that his tax rate is safe.

[eta]Now he can begin the beneficial part of his campaign, and spend lots of money to specifically beat Trump.
I agree with you about Gabbard; pass, thanks.

I also agree with you about his most effective contribution (pardon the choice of words) to the most important goal of defeating Trump.

I don't know about his claim (which I didn't see) about keeping his tax bill low by blocking the advance of the campaigns of Sanders or Warren. I think that mistakenly dismisses the function of Congress when it comes to changing taxes.

Getting a different president come November and getting a dramatically different Congress, especially the Senate come November are not the same thing.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #419
Luce
Weaponized Funk

The bodies are starting to pile up.

Warren will quit in less than 10 days.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:02 PM   #420
Griff
still says videotape

I just heard Howard Dean suggest that Biden needs to embrace a number of Bernie's proposals. He said that after Trumps fucking nonsense someone low-key has appeal but he can't show up with nothing. smrt