The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Oh boy. Tenants... I have a number of friends who keep rental properties and wow do they have stories. Sadly, sounds par for the course.
So true. Many people have bad tenant stories...

As a result of the way the carpets look, I now have a born-again attitude to vacuuming and will now be warning people about the reprecussions of not vacuuming.

No-one tends to tell their good tenant stories though. My folks have a place which they've rented to the same people for about 18 years and about 90% of the time everyone is happy.

Of course, there was the time (now sounding like a scene from Fiddler on the Roof) when I dropped over to the rental house to visit and took a sizeable chunk of the gatepost while backing out. That was embarrassing-not only did I have to tell and show the tenant my handiwork. I then had to ring my folks and tell them. The responses were as follows:

Casi: (very embarrassed-I'm really sorry. I've taken a chunk out of the gatepost)..

Tenant: I told your father not to put that gatepost there.

Later on the phone.
Father: Oh, you can't drive either.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh Casi I missed that completely - SO sorry.

Warch, I honestly mean about being a tour guide.
I'd just need dates to plan ahead (approximate ones for saving really - as you know I'm on a budget and public transport here is reliable but not cheap).

But if you want suggestions just give us some more details in this thread.
I can certainly recommend for London - as can Cyclefrance (he still around?) and Limey. I probably have the most recent info, but any of us can point you to relevant websites to get the most up-to-date details.

I can give you ideas for the South East and Midlands if you let me know your hopes and expectations. No point me telling you that it's imperative you go to St Albans for the Roman ruins if you'd rather see Elstree Studios (original Star Wars filmset - demolished but a site of pilgrimage!)

You have to visit London of course.
Sez me, daughter of Londoners on both sides and having lived there myself.
Even if I can't meet you I couldn't recommend London Walks highly enough. Go for the headline walks though - which mention places/ people/ themes you recognise ie Jack the Ripper, Ghost Walks etc. I've been on the others and although they interested me they migh be too obscure for someone passing through.

Go to the famous one-off departments stores if you like shopping. Head for the food halls. Fortnum and Mason, Harrods, Selfridges. You can kill an hour there.

Take in at least one park. Find at least one bus route through the centre of London (again, am happy to advise!) Go on a bus tour if you can afford it, but for 1/10th of the price just get on a normal bus and WATCH out the window. London is crammed with sights which aren't actually important.

Go on the London Eye. Or just go across Waterloo Bridge - Wordsworth never got the chance and believe me the views are better than Westminster Bridge. The Houses of Parliament one way, St Pauls the other.

Ack - the 'rents have just come home and I have to vacate the computer! More later!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Oh Casi I missed that completely - SO sorry.
Thanks SG. That's lovely of you.

Today we pulled up the carpet (initially because the guy who came to give a quote for new carpet said that given that the source of the black marks was unknown, his people would not take it up-OH & S and all that). Anyway, we had all the carpet out of the house in the space of an hour and the floorboards have great potential for being polished. Then, we spent the next the rest of the morning pulling up staples and the batons. Still loads more to do, but it's on its way and the house is starting feel like it did 18 months ago-i.e. a pleasant place to be.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-30-2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: fix quote
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #19
warch
lurkin old school

So generous SG!
There is so much to possibly do that I am a bit overwhelmed with it just yet. I'm doing research on my end and as I get a bit closer to travel time I'll have more specific questions that I'd appreciate advice and perspective. I am all for hopping on buses and watching.
For sure on the list are trips to visit Warwickshire (ancestral poking around) and Leicester (to check out the university there).

And Walks... yes!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote