The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
SamIam

Thanks for the explanation, Lookout. And BigV, I'm glad I was able to bring some amusement to your day.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post

name the movie: "certain special something" was the beginning of a song and win two points!
How many points do we need to accumulate to win a blow job?

[What's wrong with 'er? She's beautiful, she's rich, she's got huge ... tracts of land...]
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Lookout,
I can relate to your feelings about parents and their ego involvement in their kid's sports-and-everything-else lives. There are parents who understand what the real value of the game and the awards are about and there are the parents who are in it for the power and prestige.

I'm sure you saw that in the service; the disparity between the people who will use the system to further their own goals and the ones who honor the spirit of their oath.

It is a shame that parents will use children as pawns to further their political and financial goals, but those people are like weeds. It's a never ending struggle; at best you keep them at bay, but there will be a couple of kids you will nurture and help grow and impress with your values and they'll benefit from your effort, however uninspiring it may seem to you at the time.

If you think back to all the people who've helped form your character over the years, I bet very few of them even know how much they meant to you.

So, don't let the bastards grind you down.

(but for the record the bastards are asswipes)
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post

name the movie: "certain special something" was the beginning of a song and win two points!
MP's Holy Grail of course.... but Prince Herbert doesn't actually get to sing his song at that point.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
How many points do we need to accumulate to win a blow job?
One.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
(IMHO) People don't want to see exceptionalism anymore. Everyone is the same, everyone gets a trophy for showing up. If other sports are too hard then we will import or invent a sport that every kid can play. We don't want any kid to ever think they're not good enough. What is wrong, however, if Charlie is good at baseball and Louie is good at trumpet and Mark bakes a mean apple pie? With the loss of exceptionalism goes individualism.
Sounds like the attitude of what some people want for America - everyone equal regardless of how hard some work or don't... The entitlement mentality. Sickening, well to me anyway.

My brother is a lot closer to this situation with this boy as he lives right there. MANY parents are pissed off that "the league" is pushing for this kid to be ostracized. There are some who are even willing to back him up if this gets any worse. They are clamoring for the boy to play and to play against their kids - thankfully.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

40 mph? If it was 55-60 mph I could maybe see a problem but 40?

When I was 9 (4th grade) I was in a league with 6th graders and some of them threw in the mid to high 50s.

I think this is just plain stupid...
Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 AM   #23
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Once everybody is special, nobody is...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #24
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was very proud of my younger brother this summer. He coached his 8 year old daughter's baseball team. He said at the onset he wants them to enjoy themselves, and perhaps walk away with some knowledge of the basics. He accomplished that, and got kudos from many parents for his approach. Believe it or not, he did encounter a team that was all about winning (they're EIGHT!) At a couple points, kids would be away on family vacation, and he would bring my 6 year old niece and a couple other kids up from "T-ball" to play. Yes, my friends, the 6 year olds were going to the Show!

That to me is what sports for the younger crowd are all about. If the child finds he has mad skillz and, most importantly, enjoys playing then he now has yet another option in his quest for who he wants to be.

But if Johnny stands in left field catching butterflies and documenting sightings for his journal, that's OK too.

Not every child is cut out for sports, just as every child isn't cut out to be a rocket scientist. My family is all about sports and very competitive, but my brother didn't bring that to his coaching experience: Molly could be Molly and Sherry could be Sherry and no one was expected to be anything they were not...just get out there and see if you like it!

On the other hand, I feel we should encourage kids who show a real aptitude, whether it's on the field or in a classroom, but not at the exclusion of kids who just enjoy participating.

And if Johnny is in High School and is still chasing butterflies in left field, perhaps Johnny should be allowed to pursue other interests.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #25
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

That to me is what sports for the younger crowd are all about.
But as an adult, it's all about the money.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #26
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

And that's too bad. True, but too bad.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Not every child is cut out for sports, just as every child isn't cut out to be a rocket scientist.
I'm trying to teach Lil Lookout that one right now. Actually I've been trying but with only mild success up until this week. He came home in absolute awe of a girl in his class. He saw her drawings and he spoke about them for two days straight (might have something to do with the girl too). Her dogs look like dogs, her houses look real, her trees... you get the point. That night he pulled his own drawings out and just set them on the table. Mrs L promptly walked by and said, "wow, that's a nice shark you drew." Nice praise, but the problem is that he drew a California Sea Lion, not a shark.

That led to some tears about how he stinks at drawing and there's something wrong with him. Now up to this point if you handed the kid a pencil and blank paper, within minutes you'd see a very detailed soccer field and a game appear before your eyes. He isn't the most creative kid - his mother says he gets his one track mind from me.

Anyway, it really upset him that he was deficient in this area. I think it finally clicked for him when I asked if the girl could score a 30 foot goal with either foot. He quickly answered, "no, she doesn't like soccer but she probably could if she'd try". *dingdingding* By the end of it he had accepted if not embraced the idea that she excelled at art while he did at soccer because that is what they were interested in enough to practice in their free time.

i still think the whole thing was about the girl, though.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #28
Flint
Snowflake

Her tits look like tits...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #29
lookout123
changed his status to single

ah-tah
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #30
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

classicman, I moved from the New Haven area last year but had not heard of the kid before this posting. Good to hear that the community is supporting Scott more than the news story would have us believe. That is more consistent with my (limited, especially about sports) experience with the people.