The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
breakingnews
Q_Q

I had a fantastic time, much better race than I expected, despite it the gun going off at 6:45 am.

Oh, I got a new camera, too. Totally loving the thing.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Yeah - those are some good pix.
Well at least you have the rest of the day to nurse your injuries, or to buy a new wheel.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Sorry to hear about the mishap, that sucks. But great pictures...whad'cha get?
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
breakingnews
Q_Q

I got me a Nikon 8800. I've been debating between an SLR or an advanced P&S, but then I realized that I just couldn't justify spending all the $$$ on SLR and lenses, more or less for recreational use. Got a great deal on the 8800, and there's a Nikon summer rebate too.

It works beautifully - once you actually figure out how to use the thing. Major learning curve - took me almost 150 shots before stuff started coming out remotely close to how I wanted it.

Otherwise, it's built like an SLR, fully programmable with plenty of functions. The nikkor lens is great, but a little slow to focus beyond, say, 150-200mm. Sadly, many of the "cons" that were posted to dpreview.com are VERY prevalent with the 8800 - but with a little tinkering, I've been able to work around some of the shortcomings.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That little dent means buy a new wheel? Don't they have vice-grips where you live? Is is still circular? Sheesh.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That little dent means buy a new wheel? Don't they have vice-grips where you live? Is it still circular? Sheesh.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
breakingnews
Q_Q

Come again?

Bike shop is doing its best to fix the wheel, but it's now a training wheel from here on out. Ordinary riding is fine, but for racing, it's too dangerous.

- No way they could make the rim wall (braking surface) level again, which could lead to braking problems
- It's already 6 years old, with some 8,000 miles, and the bump likely caused more spoke problems than I already have (3 loose spokes)
- If the clincher edge isn't straight, lateral pressure could pull the tire off the rim

It's probably fine, but I don't wanna take chances. Just gonna order a new rear wheel, which is only $125 with Ultegra 9-speed hub.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Sounds like you definitely got your money's worth. Choose a safe path.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Could've sworn I congratulated you on not being very dead following your mishap. Man that must have been hairy!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Just bought a 12 speed 23" Raleigh technium. Used. ($100)

The rear wheel had a broken axle, and it was a Campagnolo freewheel, so I replaced that ($140), plus chain, and moved up to 2x7.

The brakes and limit screws need some fiddling, but it looks to be a significant improvement over my old Mongoose mtb with bent handlebars and hanger.

(The photo's from the craigslist posting that I bought the bike from; I've since put pedals on.)
Attached Images

Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

How's she treating you, Skunks?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 PM   #12
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks
Just bought a 12 speed 23" Raleigh technium. Used. ($100)

The rear wheel had a broken axle, and it was a Campagnolo freewheel, so I replaced that ($140), plus chain, and moved up to 2x7.

The brakes and limit screws need some fiddling, but it looks to be a significant improvement over my old Mongoose mtb with bent handlebars and hanger.

(The photo's from the craigslist posting that I bought the bike from; I've since put pedals on.)
Sorry for the late reply Skunks - still finding my way around all of this site. Your bike looks remarkably similar to my Raleigh Record Sprint (pics on website via profile - try cyclefrance2005 calais page for best shot) - campag brakes & gears, Reynolds 501 frame, 700 cm wheels. Mine cost me £70/$130-ish six years ago and have since spent probably five times that uprating it for touring, although have tried to keep to original parts wherever/whenever possible. Have thought occasionally about changing it but like the ride too much and is now family!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Pete and I did the MS150 Figer Lakes Tour this weekend. They moved the base of operations to Canandagua, so we road some new roads. As always, the volunteers took great care of us. Lisa Peck had a very inspirational message for everyone. She and a teammate from Rochester (I think it was Tiffany Pezzulo) rode with us or I should say greeted us as they blew our doors off! Thats one way to meet everyone, pass them all. They broke up the ride differently this year doing either 90 or 45 miles on Saturday followed by 60 or 30 on Sunday. We did the 90 mile loop Saturday that included 6100 feet of climbing. One of the guys had a onboard computer that could give a printout of the ride profile based on altitude. Apparently they run a tour called the Highlander out there every year that is 100 miles with 10000 feet of climbing. Petes got the bug now so expect her to train for that one next year. It was raining in the morning for day 2 and I didn't trust that my eczema was done so we waited for the sun and did the short loop. Riding the short loop was pretty impressive because many folks on that ride suffer from MS and really made me feel like a pussy for whining about my skin condition.

Canandagua is a really lovely lake and if you like to see big neat farms and wineries its worth the trip.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

After 2 years of yearning, I finally got a bike! I had been pretty religious to attending indoor cycling classes at my gym and really wanted a bike because riding outside is nothing like riding inside... so I saved up all of my graduation money and bought a bike yesterday. It's a 2004 Trek 1000 and I really think it's a good starter bike. I really wanted a Cannondale r1000, but I didn't have $2000 and the sales guy at that shop kept pushing me to finance the bike - no thanks.

I took it out yesterday for a five mile spin... just to get a feel of it. Today, I'm going to take it out a bit farther and possibly participate in an organized ride this evening. The weather is so nice today - it's going to take a lot to keep me off of the bike.

I might do another organized ride this weekend... not sure at the moment.

I love my bike... what can i say.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
I love my bike... what can i say.
Make sure you get a good saddle - otherwise you'll have short romance with your bike and elsewhere...!! This one's off a UK web site but it gives you an idea...