The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #31
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
On Wednesday night, the cruise line issued a new statement that said an "advanced safety and surveillance system operating on Norwegian Dawn, including cameras in the interior hallways and on the exterior sides of the ship, has confirmed that Mindy Jordan was in her stateroom alone at the time of the incident." The sequence of events was described as follows:
Jordan and Caputo dined at the Garden Cafe with the couple they were traveling with and then returned to their assigned adjacent staterooms at approximately 7:28 p.m.

At 7:36 p.m., Caputo left his stateroom and went to join his friends in their stateroom next door. From that moment on, Jordan was alone in her stateroom.

At 7:53 p.m., surveillance cameras from the exterior of the ship captured Jordan falling overboard from her balcony, straight into the water. Shortly thereafter, an emergency call was made from the friends' stateroom, and Caputo was seen exiting to seek help.

At 7:57 p.m., a man overboard announcement is made and the ship's crew began lifesaving operations, including the launch of two rescue boats.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #32
monster
I hear them call the tide

4 minutes is good, but that's still a lot of distance at that speed.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 AM   #33
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Assuming she ever got to the surface in the first place. From that height, you'd plunge a good 8-10 feet underwater. It would be very easy to get disoriented, especially if drunk, and never even have a chance to float to the top and hope for rescue.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:12 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

During the worse Nor'easter we've had in decades, just before dark. Odds are very bad, even for a strong swimmer, which I doubt she was.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #35
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Assuming she ever got to the surface in the first place. From that height, you'd plunge a good 8-10 feet underwater. It would be very easy to get disoriented, especially if drunk, and never even have a chance to float to the top and hope for rescue.
Her odds of survival get worse. First, falling from more than 30 feet into water can be deadly by itself. The ocean was only 54 degrees (last time I looked) meaning hypothermia would easily have overtaken her in what - well less than one hour. A nor’ easter was just starting to blow in meaning choppers could easily fly right over her and not see her in massively confused seas. And then those propellers are sucking in water to move the ship; could easily suck in a deeply submerged body. How long does it take just to turn a ship? 3 miles? 6 miles?

Most interesting are surveillance cameras outside the ship and a rescue response by two boats in only four minutes. Reports imply the ship's crew should be highly praised for their response. They had boats in the water before the ship could even turn around.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #36
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Most interesting are surveillance cameras outside the ship and a rescue response by two boats in only four minutes. Reports imply the ship's crew should be highly praised for their response. They had boats in the water before the ship could even turn around.
I must agree.

Note to self: do not climb on outside of ship while on cruise.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Thats SOP for any ship of that size because of the immense turning radius. They also remain on course to retain a reference point for the rescue vehicles. They also use the navigational systems.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
Flint
Snowflake

I think it's photoshopped.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #39
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
My sister was photoshopped on 9/11 you insensitve prick.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #40
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Thats SOP for any ship of that size because of the immense turning radius.
That was my point. Why repeat it?

Getting two rescue boats in the water in only four minutes is phenomenal - not SOP for most ships ten years ago. Exterior surveillance cameras are also new. I wonder if cameras could actually see her climbing outside the ship and therefore why she fell.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #41
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

:::KICKS TW IN THE CUNT:::
Old 05-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #42
Tree Fae
Major Inhabitant

That is very true. I wiped out on a fancy dive when I was a kid and knocked the wind out of me. That was only a 4-5 drop and I hit the bottom of a 12 ft pool. I didn't think I was going to make it to the surface. I had a lifeguard pulling me out when I got close to the top.
I can't imagine dropping the distance she did and not going so deep that drowning was the only outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #43
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they say she fell 60 feet to the water. i've jumped from 64, carefully landing feet first. it still hurt the soles of my feet. she most likely landed on her back and was knocked the fuck out on impact. blub blub blub.

poor jorge.