The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Well summer is finally here :(

I think summer has finally come to Houston. We have a clock with outdoor temperature that projects on the ceiling at night, last night it was 78 at 3AM. Today it is supposed to be 90 and I noticed the few single pane windows I still have were fogged up this morning from the AC in the house and the high humidity outside.

Typically by Memorial Day our AC will be on for the duration of the summer, actually until mid September or so. I hope we can do some traveling to cooler climates during the next 100 days or so.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

When we lived in Dallas, in the summer, we said we could tell which way the wind was blowing by the mosquito-bites.

Dallas mosquito-bites did not hurt/itch much, but bites from mosquitoes that
blew in from Houston (the south) hurt and then itched for hours afterward.

One of our favorite jokes was along the lines of...

The first mosquito says: "Shall we eat him here or take him back to Houston"
The second mosquito says: "Here ! At home, the big guys will take him away from us."

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post

Dallas mosquito-bites did not hurt/itch much, but bites from mosquitoes that
blew in from Houston (the south) hurt and then itched for hours afterward.
Hours? Try days...

And yes, summer is definitely here.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Was 38 F this morning, and is currently 46. High is supposed to be 60. We'll be lucky to break 55.

I love the mild months here. Never too hot or humid, even at the height of summer. If I could only figure out how to avoid the soul-destroying winters.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

My dad just called wanting to know of a good place near here (Tampa) to take his kids (half-sibs, ages 5 and 7) on their first camping trip this weekend.

"Maybe somewhere north of the Mason-Dixon?" I replied.

Kitsune and I just shook our heads in horror as my dad insisted they were up for an adventure. The heat, the humidity, the bugs, the crowds of a holiday weekend.

"Don't do it," I advised solemnly. "Just don't do it."

My dad doesn't own a tent or any camping gear. His plan is to go pick it all up tonight and break it in tomorrow night. Kits and I have informed him his kids will spend the rest of their lives hating camping after this.

Campfire to roast marshmallows? No need! Just hold them up to the blistering sun...
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

He made a reservation down near Naples, FL.

Day time temperatures: 90F/32C with 63% humidity which means it feels like 101F/39C.

Night time temperatures: 72F/22C with 75% humidity.

If you wouldn't sleep with your windows open, why in the world would you go camping?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Mr. Clod thinks we're going camping during the first week in July. He's insane, just like your dad.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
My dad doesn't own a tent or any camping gear. His plan is to go pick it all up tonight and break it in tomorrow night.
The heat and crowds are bad enough, but this seems the real flaw in the plan to me. You don't want the frustration of the first-time putting up a particular tent when you need to sleep in it shortly after. Almost guaranteed to have a mishap that leaves you putting it together by flashlight, in wind, rain or all of the above.

Then you get the fun of forgotten items (tent stakes that come with tents are generally worthless, gotta buy decent ones) or missing items. Want to try to return to the outdoor store at 9 pm to get replacements? Good luck.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Agreed, Perry. I explained that to him, but he said I was being dramatic.

"It won't be that bad!" he said.

I also recited the temperatures to him, and he said "Oh, a bit humid, but it won't be that bad at night."

YES. YES, IT WILL. He has lived in Florida for most of his life, so I just don't know what he's thinking.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
glatt

Heh! I've been trying to get the family camping for a while, but scheduling the damn thing is pretty hard with how busy everyone is and the various obligations they have. I thought maybe we could do something on Sunday night this weekend, but a quick search a couple days ago showed that all my favorite campgrounds are booked solid. After this weekend, it will probably be too hot to bother. It's supposed to be highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50s this weekend. That would have been perfect camping weather. Oh well.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You would not want to fuck outside today.

The rain is sheeting against the windows.
Showers?
They got that right, it's like being outside a shower cubicle that's running full blast.

Bank Holiday weekend. Quel surprise.
It means nothing to our household in terms of having time off, we're all a permanent fixture at present. But I'd at least like to walk.
Even if I offset the 3 mile round trip to big Tesco by buying a cheese pretzel or cheese twist sometimes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Be sure not to check out my restaurant website clients in nearby Bonita Springs.

http://manhattan1steakhouse.com/

http://molinosristorante.com/

I have no idea whether they're good restaurants... but the owner shorted me on development of one of the sites and I had to eat about $600.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Surprisingly, my dad & co. had a good time camping and were actually *cold* part of the night. I'm glad it went well and that the little ones had fun -- the biggest calamity was an ant bite within the first hour.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Choc, if I lived in Australia I would scoff at the ant bite. Because everything there is genetically engineered to kill you. And your party survived.

But as someone from a more hospitable country (one where we've had centuries of annihating what we don't like) I know an ant bite can be ow, shit, bloody hell, itchy, OMG is that really just an ant bite?, OW, OWWWW!

Okay, I carry the "ridiculous physical reaction to any bite, scratch or sting" gene from my mother's side of the family. Ant bites can ruin a week.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

The pool is open. And no thunderstorms. which is weird. Instead, it was only marginally above freezing and we couldn't heat the water due to boiler issues.

But I have sunburn. and so does Hebe after rocking the bikini for the first time. it's gonna hurt like shit when she puts that new guard suit on for the first time tomorrow.... yup summer's here