The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Wheat Free living

In tonights episode, Griff will be eating vast quantities of steak and/or ribs at "The Texas Roadhouse." This chain features good food, dopey atmosphere, and humiliation a plenty for the waitstaff who have to stop and line dance according to some cue.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Pesto Polenta

2 cups water
1/8 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup fine ground cornmeal
1/2 cup pesto
1/3 cup grated parm cheese

Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. Remove from heat, whisk in cornmeal until smooth. Whisk in the pesto followed by the cheese. Allow to cool in a greased loaf pan. Can be served as is, fried, or grilled. yummy!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:57 AM   #3
staceyv
Lecturer

griff, are you gluten intolerant? i am...i'm just curious because of your post. i have a lot of info and advice on gluten free eating, if you have any questions! i've been gluten free for almost 5 years now.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

I self diagnosed my wheat intollerance, just like they tell you not to. I stopped eating wheat products and the gas and explosive diarhea stopped. Giving up wheat also has helped me keep off the usual winter weight and I generally feel a lot better.

Any food advice is appreciated. I don't seem to get in trouble with trace amounts of wheat in other grains, so I've been eating lots of corn tortillas and rice and quinoa pastas. My sister-in-law is terribly gluten intollerant so I've seen. My day usually starts with a breakfast tortilla scrambled egg cheese maybe ham, followed by a big green salad at lunch, and then I mix it up at dinner-time.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
staceyv
Lecturer

you're all set, then. it's good that you can eat all the other grains, you shouldn't have any problem finding stuff to eat. i am intolerant to gluten grains, as well as rice, corn..it's a pain!
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wheat free ginger-rye bread

I sent a letter in to the food editor at Inquirer because someone was looking for wheat-free bread.

Trader Joes sell Bussnik's Ginger-rye bread. It's a slightly sweet bread (like banana bread) made out of rye with sliced ginger sticking to it. It's wheat, gluten, and possibly egg-free.

It tastes like a cross between rye bread and ginger snaps. It's made in Norway or Sweden, which caused them some supply problems a few months ago.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:52 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Simple wheat free pizza crust

3 cups cooked brown rice
2 egg whites beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Press into greased pizza pan (thinner seems better). 400 degrees for 5 minutes.

Pete made Greek Pizza in this crust last night, yummy.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
I sent a letter in to the food editor at Inquirer because someone was looking for wheat-free bread.

Trader Joes sell Bussnik's Ginger-rye bread. It's a slightly sweet bread (like banana bread) made out of rye with sliced ginger sticking to it. It's wheat, gluten, and possibly egg-free.

It tastes like a cross between rye bread and ginger snaps. It's made in Norway or Sweden, which caused them some supply problems a few months ago.
That sounds really good.

Any online place you know of to purchase it?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:48 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

There is also a really nice gluten free bread over in the UK, dont know if you can get it over there, but well worth a try if you can. It's the "Terence Stamp" brand.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:38 AM   #10
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

How funny that Alan was talking about a gluten free recipes website today and then I stumble across this thread. Not being allergic to wheat I cant say how good any of the recipes on the site are but here is the site for those of you that want to try some of them http://www.gfutah.org/recipes.htm

Its done by the Wife of a Co-worker of Alan's. The co-worker was showing Alan the site today and thats how he found out about it. Hope you enjoy.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Mmmm...poison

Well I'm back on wheat for one week. The GI folks want to rule out celiac as we do the esophogus stretch and another more southern um procedure with biopsies etc.. I need to eat the wheat to see if my body develops antibodies which can be found in a blood test. If it is celiac, its much more serious than the intollerance that I'm assuming. If it's celiac, I'll need to avoid even trace amounts of wheat that show up in stuff like toothpaste and chap stick. I'd like to thank the American tax-payer for subsidizing wheat to the point where this toxic substance is everywhere. I stepped on a scale for the first time in a while 159 with my shoes on, I prefer to think that cycling and a proper diet are responsible, since I don't feel sick.

Okay, if you could only eat wheat for one week, what would you eat? Someone at work thought I'd best get my butt into Montana Mills.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Whole wheat sandwiches and Wheaties! Two things that I've curtailed for my own health. But I cheat once in a while

Brian
Old 10-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Cinnabon.

Or one of everything in Panera.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:16 PM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Somebody left a Long Trail Ale Blackberry Wheat in my fridge... had a slice of butterscotch pie at lunch.