The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 01-26-2004, 08:12 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And post partum mothers are easy marks.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 AM   #17
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Perhaps it could be a more general forum than "parents". I mean, I'd love a chance to gripe about all the silly people I see with children. But I'm not sure a whole forum is necessary.

Perhaps it could be called, "Pediatrics and Pets". There're a lot of dog lovers here, right?
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

Of course, Juju could always use his old place as the starting point for such a forum, since he's not using it at this point...
Good idea really, just bury it under juju. He could mention it in his subheading. To me, its like the gaming stuff under entertainment, a few folks are gonna be passionate about it but the cellar hasn't become a gaming forum. We want to maintain our broad appeal so we keep getting interesting folks who want to participate widely.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:15 AM   #19
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunks
Perhaps it could be a more general forum than "parents". I mean, I'd love a chance to gripe about all the silly people I see with children. But I'm not sure a whole forum is necessary.
I'll set up a new thread in the Manifestos for such gripes.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #20
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

In my opinion, the organization of threads into different topics and forums has always been highly informal. Topic drift and thread hijacking have always been facts of life in The Cellar. The lack of a parenting forum will not prevent those who are parents from raising any issues they have that they feel will benefit from airing here. The presence of a parenting forum would not attract new folks in large numbers, and anyone it did attract would probably be somebody who fit in with the rest of the place.

(Although I do wonder if the very fact that this is coming up means we have an older membership than we did back in the early 90s? I mean, obviously, those of us who were around then are now older. But is the Cellar population as a whole older?)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:34 AM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I've only been around for 3 months actively, and my perception is that people are generally 25+ yrs old...the younguns seem to either lose interest, or get flamed out. the things we discuss are generally more mature topics, and when someone posts a bubblegum thread, it gets met with large doses of sarcasm and april references.

a parenting forum might bring more people that are initially interested in child rearing tips and topics, but they would also share many similar life experiences as the like aged child free members. I say it can't hurt, so why not?

it's not NEEDED, but if more members are a desired result, it could only be a positive. IMO. I mean, who'd leave the cellar just because it included a forum that didn't interest them?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Does someone want to put it up for a vote?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #23
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Voting shall now commence.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:31 PM   #24
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
So our user base would swing towards fresh parents from here on out, and I think some of us would be uncomfortable with that.
Why? Could you further explain this reasoning? Just under one month ago, you said:
Quote:
I've always thought that the Cellar would be a nice thing for new parents in any case. Because it allows you to be social, but on any schedule you prefer, 24 hours, and it's always willing to wait through any distractions.
The implication seems to be that new parents would not have anything in common with Cellarites, which is completely ridiculous.

Quote:
Of course, Juju could always use his old place as the starting point for such a forum, since he's not using it at this point...
I don't want to carry a forum all by myself. That's too much work. So if there is no interest in it, then so be it.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I do think it makes sense as a social approach in one's life. Be social 24x7 on your own terms; put a conversation on hold for a half day if you like; alt-tab to your workplace, or get up for nappy-change, nobody gets pissed at you for ignoring them.

I just don't think we should filter for any particular category of people.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

WTF. Throw it up and it will sink or swim. Nobody is forced to participate in it.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #27
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
you may be wrong there. Those of us with no children always seem to know best how others should raise them.

That's just my observation.

That said, I tend to dislike children, although I'm full of advice on what you should be doing with them.

Brian
for me, it's teenage girls. i hate teenage girls.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #28
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
And post partum mothers are easy marks.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #29
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Rho, being the childfree militant, thinks that a childfree forum should be created, but we already have that (more or less) in the Manifestos.

If enough people are interested in a parenting forum, then have at it...more people for me to poke fun at.
I wouldn't say "militant" but just for the sake of equality, because not everyone here has kids, likes kids, wants kids, etc.

Sure, we don't have to read that forum, but that's just my two cents.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote