The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dana, if he's a true Muslim and follows his religion according to the letter then he wouldn't be in prison in the first place. I don't accept the argument of religion as a good reason for a criminal to recieve preferential treatment. They should have listened more closely to their God in the first place before committing a crime.

As to diabetics etc, they are served diets suitable to the health requirements. As do vego's, although I disagree with that also. If they don't want the meat, then they can just not have it, and they can purchase a bag of lentils out of their weekly allowance.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #32
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'd accept that argument if he was asking for better food. But he's not, he's simply asking for food which corresponds to his (religious) dietary needs. It may not seem so important to you and I, as we aren't moslems, but for him it may be of paramount importance and being denied it may seem a greater humiliation than that inflicted on his fellow prisoners by dint of incarceration.
Delicate, needy, high-maintainence people need to either not break the law or break it in a place where the prisons are more to your specifications.

I bet they don't give the Catholics fish on friday but I don't hear them bitching about it.

And as far as humiliation goes, I think getting gang-raped probably outranks eating pig slop.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #33
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Dana, if he's a true Muslim and follows his religion according to the letter then he wouldn't be in prison in the first place.
I forgot Muslims aren't people and don't make mistakes...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #34
Aliantha

Pierce, my point is that if your religion means that much to you, then you don't do things like commit sexual assault. It cannot be used as a justification for one thing and then on the other hand to say, "oops, I slipped up". You can't have it both ways.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #35
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I agree with you on that but I think it is extremely hard to make every desicion based on religion. Everyone is human but, yes, sexual assault is more extreme then a common mistake, unless their is some hidden reason but that is unlikely.

I forget who brought it up but I like the idea that prisoners can earn points and then they can choose to eat according to their religion for a little extra price. It won't deny them of their customs and it also makes them work for it to make sure they don't expect getting special treatment without a sacrifice.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #36
Aliantha

Over here prisoners can get paid up to $70/week. I'm sure if having a specific food is so important to them, they could use that money to buy said food instead of a dvd player for their cell etc.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #37
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

My religion dictates I must not be locked up. If incarcerated I fully expect any prison to honor my religion.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Give it a shot and get back to us with that, Jebediah.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #39
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
I bet they don't give the Catholics fish on friday but I don't hear them bitching about it.
For the record Catholics can abstain from another food type or perform another kind of penance on Fridays - they do not have to specifially abstain from meat.

I'd be all for refusing prisoners TV or cigarettes as I see those as non-essential and as privileges. I don't see allowing them to adhere to their faith is an abuse of the system or a special treat. I also don't think you can decide whether someone should practice their religion on the basis of previous behaviour. Otherwise no-one in prison should have access to spiritual guidance.

I guess people just see religion and faith based dietary constraints differently.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #40
chrisinhouston
Professor

Peyote, that's all I would need for my religion! Oh, and some barnyard mushrooms.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote