FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Biden: when Obama is faced with a crisis in six months you gotta support him

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...to-suppor.html

Quote:
ABC News' Matthew Jaffe Reports: Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., on Sunday guaranteed that if elected, Sen. Barack Obama., D-Ill., will be tested by an international crisis within his first six months in power and he will need supporters to stand by him as he makes tough, and possibly unpopular, decisions.

"Mark my words," the Democratic vice presidential nominee warned at the second of his two Seattle fundraisers Sunday. "It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year-old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy."

"I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate," Biden said to Emerald City supporters, mentioning the Middle East and Russia as possibilities. "And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
glatt

wtf?

It will be interesting if he's right.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
glatt

And now that I've actually read the article, I have to laugh.

Quote:
After speaking for just over a quarter of an hour, Biden noticed the media presence in the back of the small ballroom.

"I probably shouldn't have said all this because it dawned on me that the press is here," he joked.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Audio-only YT of the remarks:

Are they going to support him through his correct decision to do something? Or are they going to support him through his correct decision to do nothing?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
And now that I've actually read the article, I have to laugh.
Quote:
After speaking for just over a quarter of an hour, Biden noticed the media presence in the back of the small ballroom.

"I probably shouldn't have said all this because it dawned on me that the press is here," he joked.
Thats typical Biden - speaking outta both sides of his mouth and then when caught.... "Oh I was joking"
FAIL
Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The YouTube audio stops before he tells the people in the room they're going to need to support him.

That said, I believe Biden's right, but I think it's going to happen regardless of who's elected. Things are very unstable right now in a lot of ways, and the new guy's going to get tested.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
classicman

McCain has already been tested - repeatedly. Not that it makes him more fit to be President, but then again maybe it does. That's a personal decision.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

McCain hasn't been tested as the guy driving the most powerful military machine on the planet. We know he handled himself when it was just him. We don't know if he possesses restraint. I'm going to try to support whoever it is to make the right decision. We know that maybe 1/3 of the country will not support anyone outside their party. They are the folks who are partisans not patriots. McCain or Obama needs the patriotic center plus the anti-patriots in their own party when crunch time comes. Let's hope they both know they own their partisans and serve the country not the base.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

McCain is pointing out that, during the Cuban missile crisis, he was a pilot waiting on the tarmac with a target in Cuba.

That's some pretty powerful mojo, right there, I don't care who you are.

Meanwhile, want to get spooky?, people are pointing out that this line was in the first moments of Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell
The problems will always be there, and there's going to be a crisis come along in the 21st or 22nd of January that we don't even know about right now.
Forget six months, this is one day into the Presidency! What do they know that we don't? Or is it just coincidence.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #10
classicman

No Griff, he hasn't, neither of them have. But McCain has the experience and Obama has virtually none. I'm not saying it is all that matters, but it is a definite plus for McCain. Of that there can be no argument. How important it is to you as an individual voter is another issue entirely. There were many things that Biden said during the primary season where he called into question Obama's readiness. Only since getting the nod as the VP has his opinion changed.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

McCain has what experience, being a prisoner of war? His options there were severely limited. "Waiting on the tarmac with a target in Cuba"? There again, his options were follow orders, or not.

Hopefully, the President will have several options, to any situation, and the wisdom and level-headedness to explore them all... and choose wisely.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

To me, experience doesn't count for much if you have displayed poor judgement through it. I'm sure Senator McCain was an excellent soldier, and has some stellar qualities, but the policies that have been most damaging to your country are policies he has supported overall. I know he's been a maverick and stood up to his party, but in the main he has supported Bush's neo-con agenda, and that includes the war in Iraq and the continued deregulation of financial markets.

More importantly, perhaps, his response when faced with an actual, bona fide crisis in the shape of last month's market meltdown, he showed little leadership, floundered for answers which, when they came, were disjointed, incoherent and unconvincing. The attitude he has displayed in discussions of his foreign policy have been dangerously bellicose and he has shown himself more than willing to play on Americans' darkest fears and most costly sacrifices in a deeply cynical campaign, at a time when Americans need something better.

I used to quite like McCain. This campaign has shown him to be empty of ideas. He is Bush with a few tweaks.

And as for Biden, I don't care how many sides of his mouth he talks out of, I would rather have him sitting a heart attack away from the Oval Office, than Sarah Palin, who frankly scares the shit out of me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'm not saying it is all that matters, but it is a definite plus for McCain.
I guess I put more weight on temperment. McCain will follow orders, as on the tarmac, but will he exercise good judgement? The hothead tag gives me pause.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think Powell said it best when he said Obama is the new generation. The current generation of politicos have had a chance to mould America, and it really is time to do things differently. Thoughtfully. Calmly. With more regard for the nation's most precious assets than has been shown by an administration wedded to international conflict.

[eta] Just because McCain knows what it means to send soldiers into battle, does not mean he won't still send your children to die needlessly, pursuing aims more appropriate to a previous era.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-22-2008 at 05:29 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

I don't know the usage in GB but using mould for mold creates a picture over here.