The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Review thread

Your quicky reviews go here

I Love You, Man (theatre) - Really enjoyed it. Paul Rudd finds true bro-mance with Jason Segel. Many men have to answer this question, how to balance life with your best bud against time with your significant other. Segel does a remarkable job here, playing the man every 38-year-old wishes he could be, but with a precise level of restraint. Well done.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (on demand) - Basically, a high school fantasy flick: you wish your life was their life. That kid Michael Sera, who played an awkward teen in Superbad and an awkward teen in Juno, here plays an awkward teen. You separate his characters, I can't. The film is pretty formula, and I kept being taken out of it by realities. If you have the gear to play a club in Manhattan, you don't drive a Yugo and aren't Yugos just museum pieces by now? If you're an awkward teen how do you even drive into Manhattan at night, much less to play a club? Your friend is lost, drunk, in the city, and is your responsibility -- and you can still do light comedy? You found a parking place in the city??? I may be too old to enjoy this movie.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
glatt

Hancock (DVD) - I knew from reviews that this was about a skid row bum who happens to have super powers and meets a PR guy who tries to get him cleaned up. And then there was supposed to be a crazy plot twist that critics weren't sure about. Well, I enjoyed this movie. The plot takes a path that is slightly different from the formulaic Hollywood movie I expected, and overall, it's a good one. As it's unfolding, I wasn't sure who/what to root for. You end up liking everyone in the movie, and enjoying the show. Charlize Theron looks different in just about every movie I've seen her in. She's a chameleon. Maybe I'm getting too old, but the special effects and stunts of the climactic battle scenes in movies are getting so elaborate and visually busy that they bore me now. The effects and stunts that lead up the the climax were good though. Speaking of climaxes, Hancock ejaculates with the force of a shotgun, which presents a unique challenge.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cheating a bit as it was ages ago:
No Heroics.

ITV (our third channel out of five) isn't known for its comedies.
When it makes a good one, the celebrations rock the island.
This didn't seem to happen with this one, and yet it was the funniest thing I had seen in years. And Dani had to tell me about it! To my shame.

Every single episode had a laugh-out-loud moment, and given that I rarely laugh out loud at the TV (I do in person, or at books, or the theatre, just not at the dead screen) that's a big selling point.

Great character development. Reminded me of the stories I told my sister as a teen. And then told myself.

A bit of man on man (always yummy).

Some wonderful set pieces, and mostly verbal comedy (usually over a pub table).
I could imagine it as a radio comedy actually.
And that's my favourite sort. Blackadder, The League of Gentlemen (which was on radio to be fair, though it started as stand-up), Black Books etc etc etc... All very British, but I'll add Frasier to the mix. Every character in it does not have to be seen to be believed (I hate Friends though, because although the same applies they are caricatures, not characters).

Look it up on YouTube. If you can, watch it. It's funny.

BTW, I'm a word pervert. Wervert.

Last edited by Sundae; 03-23-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I like this thread. It has a good beat and you can dance to it.

Ohhh..not review thread, review thread. :p
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It's kind of stiff to knit with and borderline scratchy as you unwind it, but it's soft and extremely durable after washing. Oh sorry, review thread.

SG, the one reason I recognize "ITV" is that their logo used to appear at the end of The Muppet Show!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Dexter.

Ok, I read aboutthis and thought it sounded a bit of a reach. Mainly that's because I had only skim read and had completely missed the point. I thne further missed the point when i caught a random five minutes of what looked remarkably like any other cop show.

Then i saw Michael C Hall in an interview and remembered who he was (from six feet under) and that actually he's a bloody good actor who rarely does screen work, mainly does theatre, and is highly unlikely to be in a project that doesn't have some artistic merit.

So, ok, I gave it a go. Watched the first episode and was very pleasantly surprised. Watched the second and thrid and it's now my favourite tv drama. I have to (have to!) read the books it was based on now.

It's deep, multi-levelled, beautifully written and directed, and the acting is stunning. It's dark and funny and tragic, hopeful and witty, and it gets under your skin like a good book. It demands something of its audience. It asks you to take a leap and then rewards you for doing so. It's one of the most intelligent programmes I've seen in a very long time.

The characters are 3 dimensional and varied. Structurally it is more novelistic than a serial usually is. One of the things I misunderstood about the show was its structure. It isn't a new set of the same things every week. It's an ongoing story, much like The Wire is ongoing. Much more engaging and compelling than a weekly case structure.

I'm now halfway through series two (about ten days after starting watching it) and my one fear after watching series one (that the premise wouldnt sustain across multiple series without becoming formulaic. or repetitive) has been more than allayed.

Stunning. I highly recommend anybody who hasnt seen it, watch this show. But watch it from the start, don't dip in because it builds in power and the shape of Dexter's internal landscape is important to understanding the show.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Hancock (DVD) - I knew from reviews that this was about a skid row bum who happens to have super powers and meets a PR guy who tries to get him cleaned up. And then there was supposed to be a crazy plot twist that critics weren't sure about. Well, I enjoyed this movie. The plot takes a path that is slightly different from the formulaic Hollywood movie I expected, and overall, it's a good one. As it's unfolding, I wasn't sure who/what to root for. You end up liking everyone in the movie, and enjoying the show. Charlize Theron looks different in just about every movie I've seen her in. She's a chameleon. Maybe I'm getting too old, but the special effects and stunts of the climactic battle scenes in movies are getting so elaborate and visually busy that they bore me now. The effects and stunts that lead up the the climax were good though. Speaking of climaxes, Hancock ejaculates with the force of a shotgun, which presents a unique challenge.
Watched this last night, my inital response, 'it's a story with a beginning, middle and end, just not the beginning middle and end of the same story'

Interesting idea, not too Hollywood formula, which is always a plus, plot pacing and character developemnet were poor and could have made it so much better.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Star Trek: as a fanboi, I was greatly pleased to see the renewal of these characters done so nicely; but especially Spock, possibly Roddenberry's greatest creation. The notion of a character that is 99% emotionless by nature of his race and culture is only permitted by the grace of science fiction, but has amazing implications for drama. The part of Spock that is emotional is the knife's edge inside the character, and they take full advantage of it in the film. Watching the actors "rebirth" the original characters is just fascinating, and the gritty action sequences are just a good enough canvas for it all to unfold. Couldn't be happier with the result, and bring on the next one soon please.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
DanaC

I can't wait to see it. I am so impressed with the actor they cast for Spock. The clips of him look eerily familiar lol.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

On the whole, I thought the new Trek was great.

That being said, I think the new Spock is a little too emotional. 'Specially with Uhura. No objection to Kirk being a little more wild; there is enough change to his backplot to explain it. Spock, however, shares the exact same history as his counterpart -- where is the rationale for such a recharacterization?

Can't really say more without spoilers, so I'll let it go at that.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
DanaC

The way I read it (in an article about the film) Spock struggled in his youth with his human (emotional) side. By the time we see Spock in the tv series, he's reached his compact between the two sides of himself, temporarily as it then turned out.

This is set before he has reached that compact. When he is still struggling with his human side.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was amazing. The casting was spot on. They did a great job of playing the existing characters in recognizable fashion without simply doing impersonations. I thought Bones' speech patterns were perfect.

I'm already looking forward to the new one.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Is Star Trek kid friendly for a 9yo who can handle a lot of action? I'd love to take li'l Beestie but don't want to spend half the movie holding a popcorn box in front of his eyes like I had to do in Beowolf. Boy, was that a mistake.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
DanaC

I havent seen beowulf. What was it that wasn't suitable?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The opening scene when Grendel dismembered about 20-30 Viking dudes complete with arms and heads getting torn off... Yikes - I was scrambling with that popcorn box I tell ya.

Tags
movies