The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
rkzenrage

More Hollywood Studios Say ‘No Smoking’

More Hollywood Studios Say ‘No Smoking’

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 30 — In the movie musical “Dreamgirls” last year, James “Thunder” Early, Eddie Murphy’s soul-singing, chain-smoking character, was so infuriated by a fumbled food order that he mashed his cigarette into a chicken sandwich that was supposed to have no mayonnaise.

Alan Markfield/Fox Searchlight Pictures
The film “Waitress,” where smoking is seen, was produced independently and acquired by Fox.
That portrayal and scene could still fly these days at DreamWorks, which made the movie. But if Universal Pictures were to produce the movie today, Mr. Murphy might consider having his character switch to chewing gum.
Fucking morons.
I'm so astounded by the level of stupidity that I'm speechless.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Will the scenes featuring peanuts be removed as well? TPGs everywhere are "dying" to know.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

There is so much smoking on movies that it became advertisement for Big Tobacco. It's time to remove the one large remaining source of recruitment left.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
rkzenrage

"Recruitment?" It is a representation of real life. People smoked in the 50s.
Making Dreamgirls without smoking would have been stupid, just stupid, only stupid. Smoking was more common than it was not.
We going to make Sherlock Holmes now without his pipe, Popeye how about some remakes of great noir detective films without tobacco?
I bet you are one of those nanny state morons that wants to make fatty food illegal, how about not walking to work, soda (ban those from film next?), french fries, large portions, toy guns?
You gonna' pad the world so no parent actually has to teach their kids about reality?
You want alcohol to be illegal and illegal to be represented in any form also?
Art is about the world and people smoke genius.
I smoke in public and don't hide it when kids are present and don't give a fuck if you or anyone else likes it or not.
Move to Europe... they are well on their way to a nanny state.
Your alias sure is accurate.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 10-01-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
rkzenrage

IT'S FOR THA' CHILLIN WE MUST CRUSH!!!!! Our rights are meaningless, parents are meaningless, teaching them about their own minds and choice is meaninless... RUN... RUNNNNNN!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
King
Conquistador

I hate smoking, but this kind of thing is absurd. Films need to be realistic, end of.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
rkzenrage

Making a film about the entertainment industry in the fifties without tobacco makes as much sense as making it with everyone underwater.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Move to Europe... they are well on their way to a nanny state.
Europe isn't a state. At least if you're going to insult us get it right.

[eta] I'm getting a little tired of your constant sniping attacks on Britain and Europe. It's one thing to point out that something is happening over here, but every time your own country does something you dislike you point at Europe or Britain like we're fucking bogeymen to fright the children.

I post stuff I see wrong in America, and I post stuff I think that we do better. But what I don't do is make nasty sniping comments about America and Americans at every given opportunity. If a Brit were to post something negative about the Welfare state, or the NHS, I would not respond by telling them to 'move to America, where you can be as callous as them and not give a shit if your fellow citizens live or die'. That, to me, is the equivalent of your constant sideswipes at Europe and Britain.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-02-2007 at 08:38 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I find the whole "movies must be realistic" argument laughable. I've seen very few movies that are truly realistic. And there's a lot of real life that doesn't need to be depicted in G and PG movies.

I suspect some of the posters above did not read TFA. It talks about restricting smoking in movies shown to kids.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

Don't feel bad dana. you just need to accept that he generally hates everything that doesn't line right up with his little thoughts. He just can't find enough things to be angry about in a 24 hour day.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
rkzenrage

Dana, I LOVE Europeans and Europe a great deal and can see how you feel this way.
The one thing I point out on a regular basis is the Big Brother aspect of European society, all of Europe, not just the UK and when I say State I know that you know what I mean. There is more than one definition for the word and the Euro-Union is a state in every sense of the word and all of them are doing their finest to be more Big Brother every day.
I will try to be more specific in the future.
Sorry.

Dar. I did not only make the point about realism, I made the point that the studio makes the film the screenwriter writes... a decent writer writes what happened, people smoked in the 50s, so a good one will put it in. It's called period.
Some are less literate than others... I know that... I forgot it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Don't feel bad dana. you just need to accept that he generally hates everything that doesn't line right up with his little thoughts. He just can't find enough things to be angry about in a 24 hour day.
I am not angry at all, I hate no one or nothing.
You know nothing, you sound like a moron.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
DanaC

Rk, how can you sit in a country that operates a system of Extraordinary Rendition and then tell me my part of the world is bordering on totalitarian?

There are differences in approach to things like censorship, true, but that's not because we are becoming more censorial. There was never a time when most Euro states weren't actively censoring material in the public domain. I'm not arguing this to be good or bad, just pointing out it's not a progression from a time of greater freedoms to a time of lesser freedoms. In terms of the 'nanny-state', I don't really see we're that different to America in many ways. Your approach to drugs use is way more draconian than in Britain, for instance, and certainly than in much of Europe (with tyhe possible exception of France). That is the State nannying its citizens and telling them the State knows best. I heard a story a few years ago about a Californian woman being prosecuted for smoking and drinking whilst pregnant.

In Europe, just like in the States, there are sometimes knee jerk laws responding to a perceived social ill. I rarely agree with these moves, but they are not something that Europe has a monopoly on.

I understand how you see Europe rk, but I completely disagree with your analysis of it. Part of the problem, I think is where the emphasis lies. In America a pop star accidentally shows her nipple and all hell breaks loose: in most european states that wouldn't even cause a flicker. We attach importance differently to different things. Our cultures are different to yours in many ways (and also similar in many ways).
Old 10-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #14
rkzenrage

Is pot legal in the UK?
Great argument, LOL!
I speak out against it in the US, many do... I rarely, if ever, see it in the UK and when I bring it up I only see defense of these measures.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
DanaC

Incidentally, since Scotland banned smoking in all enclosed public places, rates of heart disease have fallen by over 15%