The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #136
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Jesus died for somebody's sins...

But not mine.

Name THAT song&artist!
OMG, people, it's Patti Smith, "Gloria"!

Honestly, the fact that nobody got that is the most offensive thing in this thread. At least in the top five most important rock albums of all time.

For the record, I do think we need more people out there saying "hey, I don't believe in God." But I'd rather have it be "Hey, I'm a good person, I love my parents and work hard and give to charity... and I just happen to not believe in God" than "Hey, I'm an atheist and I think religion is stupid! Watch my video about it!"

It is wrong and stupid that there is such a stigma against atheism, and it isn't fair that the atheists are the ones who have to do the work to change it, but honestly, nobody else is.

(for the record I'm an agnostic)
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #137
rkzenrage

I thought I did say that I work to be a good person and I'm an atheist.
In hindsight, I should have said "I try to be the best person I can" instead of what I did say... it is what I meant.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #138
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Grrr.....I really am rubbish. I should have fixed my blasted computer long ago. Am still farting about on the Council laptop so cannot use youtube yet.

I just never have enough free time to dedicate any of it to formatting the harddrive and reinstalling windows et al.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #139
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I thought I did say that I work to be a good person and I'm an atheist.
In hindsight, I should have said "I try to be the best person I can" instead of what I did say... it is what I meant.
I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing the whole "Blasphemy Challenge" idea. I really can't see it doing a lot of good for atheism in general.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #140
rkzenrage

Knowing there are others out there that feel the same way you do is huge.
Again, it is not for the religious.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #141
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
True. I seriously don't know many other people that share the same religious views as me.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #142
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
I know that -- I just don't like the snarky tone of the whole thing.

I personally am tired of people assuming that those who don't believe in God have no moral compass, and wish that more people who choose to be public about not believing would do so in a way that would create more goodwill.

Lately I'm realizing that for me, a kid who grew up on the internet, the standard online discussion tone of "I'm smarter than you because I don't care about your feelings" just doesn't impress me anymore. I would rather see prizes given for carefully considered arguments rather than for making the most offensive statement possible.

And as I said, I'm more offended by no-one knowing "Gloria" than anything else. :p
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #143
rkzenrage

Tone?
I agree with Marilyn Manson, "if more people raised their kids with the teaching of Christ, in their homes, with no Church involvement, this would be a better world".
A true statement, but, for me, only a slight improvement and an unnecessary one. Mysticism and the supernatural are not needed and get in the way of science and reality and I feel children and the world would be far better off without it all together. But, it would be a VAST improvement on the insanity visited on us by organized religion, to be sure.

One of my favorite songs... what drives me nuts is that most kids today think it's a U2 song.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #144
Toymented
Without Explanation

Are Atheists overly sensitive?

Sounds like some here are ultra-defensive about their atheist beliefs. Why do you feel the need to brandish them in such a manner?
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #145
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Tone?
I agree with Marilyn Manson, "if more people raised their kids with the teaching of Christ, in their homes, with no Church involvement, this would be a better world".
A true statement, but, for me, only a slight improvement and an unnecessary one. Mysticism and the supernatural are not needed and get in the way of science and reality and I feel children and the world would be far better off without it all together. But, it would be a VAST improvement on the insanity visited on us by organized religion, to be sure.

One of my favorite songs... what drives me nuts is that most kids today think it's a U2 song.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one -- apparently my experience is very different from yours.

By "tone" I mean the whole faux-provocateur, piss-folks-off-on-YouTube deal. Not you specifically.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #146
rkzenrage

I can't figure out what you are reading in my posts.
It is not for the religous... so no one is to be pissed-off. There is nothing in my video to piss off an atheist.

Quote:
Sounds like some here are ultra-defensive about their atheist beliefs. Why do you feel the need to brandish them in such a manner?
I am upset about the separation of church and state's degradation in this nation, our children being at risk of being held back on the world stage of science because mental Neanderthals want to teach them pagan superstitions in school instead of actual science, because I must use money with god on it to live, because it is accepted for people to flaunt their religion but when I complain about blue laws and laws making it illegal for people of my beliefs to hold public office I am called names like whiner and extremest, our news stations pander to the metaphysical during the "holidays" with stories about things that have no bearing on the actual realities of this nation and world, our government is now using tax dollars to support religious causes in defiance of the founding notions of this nation and when speaking about it people seem to think it is not an issue worth discussing or doing anything about, the list is long and each is valid.

However... and AGAIN, which so many seem UNABLE to read... this is not for the theists, it is for other atheists alone. For us to feel and connect to our community.

IT IS NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE.

Why are you unable to read this?

Last edited by rkzenrage; 04-06-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #147
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
I can't figure out what you are reading in my posts.
It is not for the religous... so no one is to be pissed-off. There is nothing in my video to piss off an atheist.
If it is on youtube, it isn't private. Do you think that there aren't religious groups searching for terms like "athiest" on YouTube?

And I keep saying that I'm not talking about you and your video, I'm talking about the contest in general. Maybe I'm missing the point, but to me the word "blasphemy" refers to behavior designed to offend or shock others. Like on DailyKos it would be blasphemy to say that Bush is an excellent president, or on Fark it would be blasphemy to say "I don't like boobies."
Old 04-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #148
rkzenrage

So what... who cares if the religious don't like what we call it or how we say what we say? Fuck-em.
Good night, get it... it is not for them.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #149
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymented View Post
Defensive isn't the right word. Perhaps ornery or uppity. Or unapologetic.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #150
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
So what... who cares if the religious don't like what we call it or how we say what we say? Fuck-em.
Good night, get it... it is not for them.
I really don't understand your use of both bold and italics. Do they mean different things?

And I don't understand this preoccupation with who something is "for." When you post something on the internet, it is for the internet. It's like posting something bitchy about a friend and then being surprised when they find it and get mad.

As I said, I'm not religious. But I am annoyed by the constant attempts on the part of non-religious people to perpetuate every annoying stereotype that the mainstream has about us. I'm tired of every political/ideological group I belong to being misrepresented by shrill extremists.