The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

7/27/2004: PETA love-in for vegetarianism

It's the PG-13 version of the Norwegians sex on stage - PETA staged a 'Live Make-Out Tour' last Friday in Boise, Idaho to promote vegetarian eating.

The event is meant to demonstrate PETA's claims that vegetarians are better lovers.

full story
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Why did you post the link to the whole story?

There's nothing wrong with peta that a case of ammunition wouldn't solve.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #3
jaguar
whig

I really, really don't get PETA. That guy's haircut makes him look like a recently deserted marine.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

His boyfriend likes it that way.

It's only a faux love-in dontcha know...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

"There's nothing wrong with peta that a case of ammunition wouldn't solve"

Why? What's so terribly wrong about PETA?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I would like to support protests of this nature.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

looks like smoothmoniker was in on it:
Attached Images

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
DanaC

Clearly I am fighting for the wrong causes.......
Old 07-27-2004, 03:30 PM   #9
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
"There's nothing wrong with peta that a case of ammunition wouldn't solve"

Why? What's so terribly wrong about PETA?
Quotes From Animal Rights Activists

By Brian Carnell

Sunday, May 14, 2000

General Philosophy

"We feel that animals have the same rights as retarded children."
-Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA, New York Times, January 14, 1989.

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration."
-Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society of the United States, The Inhumane Society, New York, 1990.

Regan when asked which he would save, a dog or a baby, if a boat capsized in the ocean: "If it were a retarded baby and a bright dog, I'd save the dog."
-Tom Regan, Q&A session following a speech, University of Wisconsin-Madison, October 27, 1989.

Animal Experimentation

"To those people who say, `My father is alive because of animal experimentation,' I say `Yeah, well, good for you. This dog died so your father could live.' Sorry, but I am just not behind that kind of trade off."
- Bill Maher, PETA celebrity spokesman

"If the death of one rat cured all diseases, it wouldn't make any difference to me."
-Chris De Rose, Director, Last Chance for Animals

"An animal experiment cannot be justifiable unless the experiment is so important that the use of a brain-damaged human would be justifiable."
-Peter Singer, Animal Liberation: A New Ethic for Our Treatment of Animals, 2nd. edition, 1990.

"If abandoning animal research means that there are some things we cannot learn, then so be it ... We have no basic right ... not to be harmed by those natural diseases we are heir to."
-Tom Regan, The Case for Animal Rights, 1983

Meat

"Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The Washington Post, November 13, 1983.

Pets

"I don’t use the word "pet." I think it’s speciesist language. I prefer "companion animal." For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship – enjoyment at a distance."
-Ingrid Newkirk, PETA vice-president, quoted in The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223.

"It is time we demand an end to the misguided and abusive concept of animal ownership. The first step on this long, but just, road would be ending the concept of pet ownership."
-Elliot Katz, President, In Defense of Animals, "In Defense of Animals," Spring 1997

"Let us allow the dog to disappear from our brick and concrete jungles -- from our firesides, from the leather nooses and chains by which we enslave it."
-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of A Changing Ethic, PETA, 1982, p.15.

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear..... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."
-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

"The bottom line is that people don't have the right to manipulate or to breed dogs and cats ... If people want toys they should buy inanimate objects. If they want companionship they should seek it with their own kind."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, "Animals," May/June 1993

"You don't have to own squirrels and starlings to get enjoyment from them ... One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Chicago Daily Herald, March 1, 1990.

"Pet ownership is an abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, Washingtonian, August 1986

"One day we would like an end to pet shops and breeding animals [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild."
-Ingrid Newkirk, Chicago Daily Herald, March 1, 1990

Terrorism

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause."
-Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA

"I wish we all would get up and go into the labs and take the animals out or burn them down."
-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, National Animal Rights Convention '97, June 27, 1997

"Get arrested. Destroy the property of those who torture animals. Liberate those animals interned in the hellholes our society tolerates."
Jerry Vlasak, Animal Defense League, Internet post to AR Views list, June 21, 1996

"We have found that civil disobedience and direction action has been powerful in generating massive attention in our communities ... and has been very effective in traumatizing our targets."
-J.P. Goodwin, Committee to Abolish the Fur Trade, National Animal Rights Convention '97, June 27, 1997.

"In a war you have to take up arms and people will get killed, and I can support that kind of action by petrol bombing and bombs under cars, and probably at a later stage, the shooting of vivisectors on their doorsteps. It's a war, and there's no other way you can stop vivisectors."
-Tim Daley, British Animal Liberation Front Leader

"If a girl gets sexual pleasure from riding a horse, does the horse suffer? If not, who cares? If you French kiss your dog and he or she thinks it's great, is it wrong? We believe all exploitation and abuse is wrong. If it isn't exploitation and abuse, it may not be wrong."
-Ingrid Newkirk, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

© Copyright 1998-2002 by Brian Carnell. All rights reserved.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

all this time i just thought PETA was just silly... now it turns out that they are just plain f*!ked up.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
all this time i just thought PETA was just silly... now it turns out that they are just plain f*!ked up.
I remember when I was deployed in the Med, some of these (same type anyway, Red Flag I think) guys tried to board the nuclear submarine I was on to sink it.

Now I ask you, what exactly were they smoking to think they stood a chance of accomplishing that?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

How was he planning on doing that, pickaxe? Asking nicely?
I wonder if he had considered the environmental impact of sinking a nuclear sub
Old 07-27-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
How was he planning on doing that, pickaxe? Asking nicely?
I wonder if he had considered the environmental impact of sinking a nuclear sub
There was a half dozen of them. There is only one, 21" hole that allows access to below. We handled them with the firehose.

I'm not sure that they eve noticed the guy with the M16 on the bridge.

I wonder how he planned to deal with the two shotguns and the pistol that were deployed at the bottom of the ladder, the only entrance?

Fast attack boats are capable of carrying nuclear weapons, do you really think he would have made it off of the boat in one piece?

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 07-27-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Troubleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #14
DanaC

Oh good lord.....I mean....I am pretty far left on this issue but that's just fucked up

I think this one is my personal favourite ...""The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration."

If he has children and they survive childhood sane enough to read I bet that'll make em feel treasured
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Oh good lord.....I mean....I am pretty far left on this issue but that's just fucked up

I think this one is my personal favourite ...""The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration."

If he has children and they survive childhood sane enough to read I bet that'll make em feel treasured
There's hope yet...

Here's a view of the way down that they would have had to go to meet the greeting crew.