The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

I need a new laptop!

Well my 7 year old Sony Viao is really giving me problems. The battery died over a year ago and it's near impossible to find a decent one that doesn't require me to go flash the bios or something. I just use it when I travel where I can plug in to the AC power but the processor is slow and I can't increase the RAM so editing images is harder. I can only run Adobe LR 3 because the OS is Windows Vista and Adobe didn't make LR 5 which I have on my desktop compatible with Vista.

So while visiting my brother in law in California he showed me his new laptop, a really nice new Lenovo Y50 which is in their gaming line and well suited to graphics related image software. He's only had it a month or 2 and loves everything about it except the track pad which doesn't have the typical 2 buttons for right and left clicking. It's like you just push down on the corners of the tracking area and if you use a finger from your other hand while moving the cursor with the other (think cut and paste) it acts all crazy and the cursor moves around. He told me he would sell it to me if he can find something else he likes. It's pretty new on the market and he got it for $1500 and added an extended warranty. Be nice if I could get it for $1200-1300.

Here are the specs:
Lenovo Y50 4K UHD Laptop Computer - m#59421859
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
512GB Solid State Drive
16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" Ultra HD (UHD) LED Glossy Display (3840x2160)
JBL sound system with sub woofer
HDMI out port 1
USB 3.0 ports-2,
USB 2.0 port -1
NVidia GeForce 860M 4GB
Dual Band Wireless AC 3160
Windows 8.1

On the downside the SSD drive is a bit smaller then I would like, I could upgrade to a new Samsung 1TB SSD but they run around $600. Or I could just leave it as I usually carry a 2TB external for image editing and storage. The SSD is incredibly fast and boots up in like 12 seconds!

Also it has no optical drive but the one on my Sony is broken anyway and it seems like most software is now just downloadable and I have most of my music already on digitial files so I don't play CDs. Only other thing is the battery is internal, so you can't carry an extra and just pop it in. You have to remove the back cover. Not too big a deal, the battery is estimated to run for 4 hours if you aren't running some kind of high end video game.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
glatt

That sounds like a kick ass laptop with a fast processor and a fast SSD.

If you do get it, I'd just use the external drive for the photos. You don't need to spend the money for a huge SSD just to hold files you might only access once or twice.

Did you try the laptop out? Does it get hot with that processor?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Yes, I played with it. It is super fast and boots up in seconds. My desktop home system is an Alienware and while it doesn't have the SSD drive it is on a similar level with a high end mother board and processor.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Not really helpful, but may put a smile on your face:

Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I had a hard drive fail on my work computer recently, and replaced it with an SSD I had bought for my home machine. I built my home rig with one, but they were too small when I built it. It's always filling up...
Anyway, this is a 480G, and the difference is much more than boot up time. It prints faster, loads my huge excel spreadsheet faster, scans faster....

Seems like the advent of these drives should have been a bigger deal.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Yep they are very cool. I keep my music and pics on an older one.