The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #16
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthebox
I'm not pushing anything on her right now.
Good. Give her some space. When you do see her, be nice and be friendly.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Let her go and feel her way through this thing - be nice, but NOT too nice! She knows you are there if she needs you - don't keep asking or offering - just let her be. She's got a lot of shit to work out in her mind and then MAYBE, just maybe, she might want something more. Then again, maybe not. The balls in her court now not yours. I just wouldn't push anything or go out of your way to say Hi or stop by to chat - she'll probably think you are being too pushy or stalking her.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #18
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065
Let her go and feel her way through this thing - be nice, but NOT too nice! She knows you are there if she needs you - don't keep asking or offering - just let her be.
I must agree. If you make it too easy...why should she even try? Any relationship begun in this manner will be unbalanced and most likely doomed to failure. Half way, then let her come the rest. If she doesn't, then you haven't committed everything, have you?
...but it sounds to me like you already have, in your mind. Get over the "she owes me a hug or at least a thank you", I don't think she owes you anything since you willingly offered yourself up as a doormat. Get out of doormat-mode and make her stand on her own two feet. If she's standing on yours, she won't respect them, she'll just wipe the mud off of her own feet onto yours.
hh
Old 08-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
rkzenrage

Unfortunately, the guys that get the chicks are the ones that ignore them.
Ladies will tell you I am wrong... I'm not.
She knows you like her, now blow her off.
I hate games, but you bungled it, you got into her space without her permission.
So you have to recover. Just back off and wait to see if she does anything... if she does not, chalk it up to experience.
My .02
Old 08-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #20
maninthebox
eats paste

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was actually kinda kidding around with the hug thing from her. Just knowing that I can make her smile and laugh through the rough time is good enough for me anyway. Maybe I should tell her that? I know she appreciated it though. Yeah, the ball is in her court now. We'll see what happens over time. You guys probably thought I was out of my mind! haha
maninthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #21
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
You guys probably thought I was out of my mind! haha
No, but I was wondering about desperate. :p
Keep being you and allow her to appreciate who you are when she is ready to really see you. I think her vision will be too clouded at this juncture.
hh
Old 08-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #22
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Unfortunately, the guys that get the chicks are the ones that ignore them.
Ladies will tell you I am wrong... I'm not.
She knows you like her, now blow her off.
I hate games, but you bungled it, you got into her space without her permission.
So you have to recover. Just back off and wait to see if she does anything... if she does not, chalk it up to experience.
My .02
I wont say youre wrong. This is how I work unfortunately.

If I dont have to work at all and know that the offer of a future/relationship is on the table, I'm kinda like "eh - whatever".

But the chase is always appealing.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #23
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I can't really say what she is thinking as I don't know her. But I know when I was in high school and had just broken up with a serious (relatively) boyfriend it was very uncomfortable when a guy friend wrote me a letter saying he liked me. I didn't want anything serious and since we were friends I couldn't see us just having a fling, which is all I wanted. She might think that since she likes you as a person, any relationship with you would get serious and she isn't ready for that. If you make her think that she owes you something (even if you are kidding) then that would be enough for her to run the other way. She probably thinks it would be too awkward to say "thank you" to you at the moment. Or she thinks if she does say "thank you" it means she likes you more than she does and you will expect more from the friendship.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #24
Lucy
Colloquialist

She was engaged after knowing the guy for a month??

RUN! Run like the wind!
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #25
maninthebox
eats paste

It may have come across I was desperate, I didn't mean it that way. lol I did tell her in the letter that I know she needed some time and I will respect that. I did apoligize to her today. I did tell her I was kidding about her owing me a hug, and just knowing I made her laugh and put a smile on her face during the whole event was enough for me. I didn't mean to come across as a jerk or anything, I guess I'm just not good at this whole realationship thing. I guess I'll see what happens. Right now I'm just going to lay low and take one day at a time. Thanks everyone for your help in this!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #26
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

I was kidding when I made my comment, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
FWIW, I think you're on the right track, now. Slow and easy...
Heidi
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #27
maninthebox
eats paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted
I was kidding when I made my comment, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
FWIW, I think you're on the right track, now. Slow and easy...
Heidi
Oh gosh no you didn't hurt my feelers! I really do appreciate everyone's input. I wish I could buy you all a round of beer! haha I'll let you guys know what happens. Yeah, she was engadged about a month after they met. That's what happens when you're young and stupid! I'm young too, but not that dumb! But, thanks again for all the input! Oh, I really never said what my name was officially yet - it's Patrick.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 PM   #28
The 42
I'm not lurking, I'm stalking YOU!

My two cents here: rkzenrage was only half right when he said that brushing her off is a good move. It's true that at this point if you try and get closer to her actively she will only push you away, but at some point she may (not will, might) come around. At that point, don't brush her off, because us gals tend to overinterpert things- we try to squeeze meaning out of every little gesture and facial expression- there's no way of knowing what conclusions she could draw.

Deep down almost every woman in the world is a hopeless romantic- we love being spoiled and having sweet nothings whispered in our ears when no one else is looking, and red roses will melt our heart every time around. Just wait until you've been dating for a while before you start- otherwise you will come accross as overeager.

And if she doesn't come around? Then she's just not good enough for you! You seem like a great guy, the way you supported her through her crisis, and there are plenty of girls out there who would love to date a guy like you.
The 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #29
Flint
Snowflake

tail-post

Quote:
She seems to be kinda advoiding me now after what I did for her, and after I wrote that letter. I also heard from one of my friends that works with us that she would love to have his brother come over for a night!?!?
Probably been said before, but you might take this a s a good sign, that she doesn't want to immediately get involved with you, because, as nice a guy as you are, she doesn't want to waste you on the rebound fling...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #30
maninthebox
eats paste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 42
And if she doesn't come around? Then she's just not good enough for you! You seem like a great guy, the way you supported her through her crisis, and there are plenty of girls out there who would love to date a guy like you.
If I could only find a girl around here that likes nice guys! lol As of now though, I'm being totally nice and understanding toward her. I'm not ignoring her, but not going out of my way. She knows I like her and always have. She's been nothing but a sweetheart to me as of late now. But, I'm patient. If she dosen't come around, it's fine. Like I said earlier, knowing I was there for her makes me happy!