The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #46
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

The US-Mexico border is less than half the length of the US-Canada border, without even including Alaska-Canada.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #47
sugarpop
Professor

The collapse of the Mexican political structure is apparently very possible in the near future. We should be concentrating on THAT border instead of worrying about Iraq and the border between Pakinstan and Afghanistan.

The National Guard was created for exactly that purpose, protect the Homeland, NOT to be fighting wars in some far off country.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #48
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Hopefully things will calm down by November. We've already booked our flight and hotel for two weeks in Puerto Vallarta.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #49
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
The collapse of the Mexican political structure is apparently very possible in the near future.
Another reason to BUILD THE WALL.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #50
sugarpop
Professor

Another reason to repeal the drug laws! If people could grow their own pot, or knew someone who grew it locally, which accounts for 60% of the illegal drug trade with Mexico, then it would take away 60% of their power and money and violence would go down. Not to say, it would really stimulate the economy!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #51
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Somewhere around 2/3rds of the people i know who do smoke grow their own here in the States, or get it from someone they know who grows their own. That said, the drug trade def. needs to be handled one way or another.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #52
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

The drug wars aren't about pot really. When people say drugs people jump to pot.............Out of a personal affinity maybe?

Drugs are bad mm'kay?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #53
glatt

But pot is the most common illegal drug, isn't it?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #54
Cicero

The term "illegal" is loose. My room-mate used to grow it legally in San Francisco. I have also talked to police that quite frankly, also are not concerned with it. It's the bigger fish they are after usually. Sometimes that includes pot but they really are irritated by all the cocaine. I don't blame them. It causes a lot of problems.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Oregon is looking at growing and taxing it. $98.00 an ounce, I believe.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #56
Cicero

A friend also uses pot for "medical" purposes in CO legally. It is legal sometimes.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #57
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
The drug wars aren't about pot really. When people say drugs people jump to pot.............Out of a personal affinity maybe?

Drugs are bad mm'kay?
Let me elaborate... every report I've seen, on TV or in print, has said 60% of the illegal drug trade coming in from Mexico is from pot. Not only that, Mexican drug cartels are now growing it on OUR public lands! So, repealing that ONE LAW for that ONE PLANT would put a serious dent in their business. (who outlaws a damn plant anyway?)

And only stupid people would buy weed from Mexico, or from some source where they don't know where it comes from or how it's grown. Gawd, can you imagine all the toxic chemicals it would be laced with? yuckaroo!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #58
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
A friend also uses pot for "medical" purposes in CO legally. It is legal sometimes.
Here's the rub. Medicinal marijuana is legal in some states, but federal law usurps state law. Eric Holder, the new Attorney General, has said he will leave it up to states how they want to deal with pot, and the DEA will no longer go after people in states that have legalized it. That, however, is new. The DEA most certainly would go after people in legal states before. In fact, they made an effort to rub it in in states where the people had voted to legalize it. And it just makes the crime worse.

When will we learn prohibition doesn't work? It didn't work back in the 20s with alcohol, and it doesn't work now with drugs. We will NEVER win the "war" on drugs. It is a big, fat waste of money, and it tramples on people's individual rights. All drug laws should be repealed.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
Cicero

Yah I totally agree with that. But I was just trying to emphasize the fact that the term, "illegal" was loose.

Yes I know a lot of the drugs coming in are pot. But people seem to think that the "drug war" is the "pot war"....

Legalizing "drugs" is a little different from legalizing pot. We have already discussed here the statistics on legalized heroin and other drugs....the reports coming back were not good and countries that legalized other drugs are now taking that back because of the ensuing violence and crime.

The Onion Headline that still makes me laff: "Drugs Wins War on Drugs."
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #60
sugarpop
Professor

ah, gotcha.

I just find it very disingenuous when people rant about illegal drugs, while TV is overloaded with commercials from pharmceutical companies pushing THEIR drugs.

I think ANY PLANT should be legal, including mushrooms, peyote, etc. I understand some drugs really ARE evil, like ICE, and heroin, and crack. But, I don't think people should be thrown in jail for using them. Confiscate them and destroy them on the spot maybe, I don't know. But, if someone is using drugs, but they aren't breaking any other laws, then I believe it is their right to do that. As long as they aren't hurting someone else.