The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Vacation

Today is the start of my two week vacation. I slapped together 9 vacation days + 1 national holiday and came up with 16 non-work days including weekends. That is 1/2 a month.

This might be the longest vacation I have ever taken. Any more and I would qualify as French .

I was all set to indulge in the worlds longest slothfest, but unfortunately life intruded. So I have to tack on a financial planning meeting, a doctor's appointment, a dentist appointment, volunteering at the polls, and various errands. Of course a portion of the time will be spent in Las Vegas, where I am thousands of miles away from my doctors, dentists, and financial planners.

So here I sit unencumbered, with travel preparations perhaps the most weighty issue on my plate.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

sweet sweet jelly
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Day 1

Got up at 4am for no particular reason. I'm web surfing and checking the Cellar. I decided to download some Youtube videos for the plane ride.

Thanks to Oceans Edge, I grabbed a whole bunch of 8 Ball Aitkens videos.

Aussie slide guitar. Much appreciated, OE.

Today is a sloth day. Read book. Surf web. Watch TV. Plan on eating for dinner packaged gourmet raviolis that were marked down %50 yesterday because their use by date is today paired with Buy One, Get One Free Italian Beef Sausage (see How Cheap/Frugal Are You thread). Even though I'm generally a teetotaler would consider adding a bottle of wine to celebrate but can't find one in the dollar store.

Briefly consider whether doing nothing is technically still doing something, then slap myself for getting all Zen and reminding myself that I am on vacation.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 05-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Enjoy it Rich babba.
You deserve it.

Dreamed about you the other night - you came to Bucks without your wife.
It wasn't a saucy dream; both of us were worried about her because she decided to go to Halifax on her own instead.

You realise no vacation (or even staycation - a word I abhore) is complete without photos, right?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

You're very welcome Rich - saw him live in Newfoundland last year, picked up a couple CD's - he's based in Nashville these days but goes back and forth a fair bit - he's got more of a following at home (obviously) - but it's a fun sound a little blues a little country a little 'croc*a*billy" LOL - always a bit of a fun story .. good humour.

He's playing down our way again this summer - at the Stan Rogers Folk Festival in Guysborough ... but, having bought both Roger Hodgson tickets, AND John Cleese tickets this year, I think we'll have to pass on the festival this year. At least the festival will be back next year, and we're working on convincing the Wharf Rat Rally folks to have 8-Ball up for that next August. I think he'd suit this large family oriented Biker event really well.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Are you gonna go see star trek?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
Are you gonna go see star trek?
I completely forgot about it. I'll have to see who is interested. I might hold out for a 3D movie.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Day 2

Dropped Jeff off at work at 9am.
Dentist cleaning at 10:40.
Packed up empty boxes and delivered to my dad's place for moving.
Went into town on personal business.
Took the wife and son to Sang Kee in Chinatown. Jeff and I ordered the Peking Duck meal for two which was two duck entrees, house special won ton soup for two (stretched to three), and house fried rice. It was awesome. Leftovers are in fridge. Almost forgot mention shrimp fried won ton appetizers with sweet and sour sauce. Not included in the price of the meal but worth it.

Also went to the Lucky fortune cookie factory at 9th and Race and picked up 3 bags of fortune cookies - 1 regular, 1 chocolate, and 1 coffee.
Went to bakery and got assorted individual cakes and a kiwi smoothie. The cakes are flat round discs with filling. They were sort of thin moon cakes without any decoration. I got two cakes with some kind of green tea filling blend with two other flavors and two cakes that had sweet melon filling. Also picked up two curry chicken buns for tomorrow. Between the cookies and cakes I spent $15.

The entire outing for the three of us was less than $90 including parking (street parking was $4 for 2 hours).

Last edited by richlevy; 05-20-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

coffee fortune cookies?!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
coffee fortune cookies?!
They're pretty tasty. As with all extracts mixed in with dough, it's somewhat subtle. But being coffee, it has more flavor and smell than the chocolate cookies. Open a bag and smell and you can smell the coffee.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Day 3

Got up a 6am to volunteer as a poll watcher. Got a mild sunburn handing out literature in the front.

Took a lunch break and went home for an hour nap. Went back and stayed after the polls closed at 8pm to get a copy of the voting machine tapes for the local Democratic party.

My sweet wife is running in the primary for school board. I'm hoping she makes it.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Just got back in from Vegas at about 10:30 PM last night. Many pictures to upload. I promised Sundae to provide some food photos for comparison with her vacation photos.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

I am, at times, reminded of this: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08182003
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Day 4 5-22-13

Visited the Herr's snack factory for the factory tour. This is something that most schools in the area do. Mine didn't, so I was about 40 years late.

Everyone else was busy, so this was a 'me' day. The tour was very interesting. One high point was when the guide pulled hot potato chips off of the line and brought them out for the tour. Being midweek, my tour only consisted of myself and an older couple. We were behind a high school tour group.

While I was out, I got the word that my meat order was ready. Being away from home, I had to scramble to get the cash together and drove up to Gap, Pennsylvania to get my 1/8th cow. I was happy to do this since I was splitting with another couple and if I couldn't pick it up before I flew out to Vegas they would have missed having the meat for Memorial Day weekend. I got there first, and it turned out that everyone from the office who ordered meat chose the same pickup time.

The meat order was a lot of hamburger, since we requested that the cheap roasts be turned into hamburger. I didn't ask for organs or bones, but some of the others, who had pets, did. There was a decent number of steaks, a brisket, tri-tip, delmonico, etc. It was enough to fill about 2 shelves in my freezer. The total cost was $256.

Attached Images