The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1411
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Hunger Games - Could have been better, even considering that I wasn't overly fond of the series. I thought they blew an opportunity by explaining the Hunger Games with a series of title cards, and they made a couple of plot changes that I didn't like.

Snow White and the Huntsman - Very cool. Interesting special effects, although you could tell it was tainted by Avatar.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #1412
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
...and the kid who played the little boy was darling.
Deleted scene

Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1413
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Resurrect The Dead
Documentary about the Toynbee Tiles. Thank you netflix instant!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #1414
glatt

Any good insight into the Toynbee Tiles? It's been years since I've seen one. They have all been paved over around here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #1415
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Close brushes with insights, typical documentary, but definitely interesting. A new Toybee tile showed up in the crosswalk at the Valley Forge Shopping Center, near Kinkos last year. I think I posted about it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #1416
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
The hungry rabbit jumps.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1417
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Documentary weekend, watched a new one on the Manson Murders, a 2009 NBC news thing on Jonestown, and a Sundance winner called Facing the Habit, also a documentary, about a heroin user who goes for ibogaine treatment.

Okay, there were some non-documentaries too ... Doctor Who and the Pyramids of Mars and xxxHolic (entire series),

Old 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1418
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

The Hunter with with William Defoe. My husband rented it thinking that it would be more an action type movie....I mean it does show a picture of Defoe with a gun, so I dont blame him for being fooled. But Im glad he was. I like slower paced less obvious movies, but I cant get him to watch them with me. LOL.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #1419
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I hated the ending of "The Hunter". Hated it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1420
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I was ambivilant about the ending. Yeah, it was sad, but it was also good in a way too.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #1421
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've been watching the anime series, Full Metal Panic!

It's kind of a combination between magical girl, high school, and military mecha anime. I'm not sure that I get it, but I'm having fun with it.

Netflix often recommends stuff based on my recent watching. Not necessarily the best way to find something I'll like, since recently I watched a lot of anime, MST3K, and documentaries on the Manson family and Jonestown ...

So, the recommender offered me an hour long "web series" called The Confession, which turned out to be pretty amazing. It stars Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt, and was quite unexpectedly good.

I'm also watching Place of Execution, which is a Masterpiece Theater mystery based on a book by Val McDermid (but isn't part of the Wire in the Blood stories).

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #1422
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We've recently figured out that "How I Met Your Mother" is actually as funny as people say it is.

Also, "Big Bang Theory" is funny, but not as funny as the above. Pacing and line delivery are too slow. But everyone I know loves Sheldon, for obvious reasons.

Also also, we started watching "The Walking Dead," a moderately high-budget zombie drama. It's been predictable so far, but we're only a couple of episodes in, so hopefully things will branch out soon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1423
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Heh, I'm watching reruns of HIMYM right now.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1424
infinite monkey

I got a 5 dollar copy of Platoon. I haven't seen it since it came out.

Also does anyone remember the show The White Shadow? I have the first season on DVD. That was one of THE shows when it was on. I can't wait to see if it's as good as I remember it. I'm sure it will seem a bit dated but that's to be expected. Of course, all my girlfriends LOVED Salami (Timothy Van Patten) and there was a guy who played basketball at a school in our district who looked a bit like him and I had the hugest crush...he was pretty famous in the basketball around here, he was really good.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #1425
infinite monkey

And: I just read that Jackie Cooper won an emmy for his direction of The White Shadow. Interesting.

I also see that Jackie Cooper died last year. I don't remember that being noted anywhere?

Tags
movies