The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-17-2003, 05:34 PM   #46
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

When i get my own place i'm gonna only stock it with baby wipes, no wussy TP for me
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #47
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Ya gonna keep the plumber on speed dial too?

Dags

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 06:35 PM   #48
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

i thought you could buy water soluable ones now days
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:47 AM   #49
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

I personally thought Genuardi's got better after Safeway took over, though I know a lot of folks were unhappy with it. I always liked shopping at Safeway in DC, and I used to like the looks I got when I used my Safeway Club card at Genuardi's. Of course, that's gone now...got stolen with my wallet.
I agree. I loved Safeway too growing up in Baltimore. Nice selection, good service, etc.

I live 3 blocks from an Acme, so it's convenient. It's a small one though, and I've never met such unfriendly assholes. At first, I thought it was because Rho and I were a mixed couple, but then I started going in there by myself and discovered that they're just like that with everybody. Okay, that's not completely true. They're very friendly with ugly people with accents that scream "I'm from Northeast Philadelphia!!!"

Heh, I *still* think it's because of "us", but like you said, they seem to be equal opportunity assholes. Hmmm..wonder where that black manager disappeared to?

You forgot Pathmark, Jeff. Rho and I were going there frequently for a while, but quit going. For some reason, that Dateline special on their meat tactics scared us away--even though they also featured Super Fresh/A&P, Albertson's (Acme), and Safeway in that episode...and they were almost as bad.

Ugh, thinking of that still gives me the creeps.

I live near a Shop-Rite and a Giant...and I think there's a Super G by me too (DC/Baltimore folks: What we call Giant up here, though Giant of MD and Giant of PA are owned by the same company now.). I've only been to each of them maybe a handful of times.

The Giant on Street Rd. is cool.

As far as grocery shopping itself, Rho and I have not done a standard week's worth of grocery shopping in over a year. Not sure why, but we generally only pick up enough stuff for 2-4 days. We don't spend any more than we would in a week, but for some reason, I never feel a real desire to pick up that much stuff.

Ah, the joy of no kids to shop for, perhaps?

Maybe part of it is because I wind up having to do all the carrying. Rho can't lift anything heavy anymore, so if I buy it, I'm the one that has to carry it up to the third floor.

*swoons* My big, strong may-yan...lol!

I don't necessarily dislike shopping...sometimes, I quite enjoy it. I think I just get irritated by asinine employees, bratty kids and their stupid parents, and dumbass people that just gawk. Goddamnit, get the fuck out of my way.

I don't dislike shopping either, espeically if the store is neat and clean, has a good selection and the service is top rate.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #50
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I always enjoy reviving a dead thread when I think of something relevant...

I normally do my shopping at Acme, primarily because it's convenient (just up the street from the apartment). But I've never liked the service there...and it's a rather small store.

This week, I think I finally had enough of it. Two months ago, they installed 4 self checkout lanes...but they rarely open all 4 of them, they don't always work properly and the staff closes them up early (before 9pm in a store that's open 24 hours). And the store seems to be short-staffed lately...maybe they had to cut payroll back...

Fuck that. I drive right by Super Fresh on the way home from the train station at night, their prices for the items I buy have been cheaper than Acme recently and they have self checkout lanes that are almost always open...and no lines.

Tuesday night, Rho wanted me to pick up some chicken. I walked in, grabbed the box of chicken, walked up to the self checkout, scanned, bagged, paid with my debit card and walked out the door...total time was maybe 5 minutes. No muss, no fuss...just let me get what I want, pay and get the fuck out. Nice.

Too bad they're not open 24 hours anymore. That's alright though...I don't shop late at night that often anymore anyway.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #51
staceyv
Lecturer

i hate the ultra bright flourescent lights and the people who walk too slow in front of me... i am also strange in that i hate the cashier or the bagger to bag my stuff. I want to do it. i can't stand the way they bag things, as if i can't carry a bag heavier than 1.5 pounds. if i let them bag it, everythiong flies out all over the trunk of my car, i have hairspray and eggs in one bag, another bag will have ant traps and roast beef, another bag will have a loaf of bread and cans, another bag will have hot rotisserie chicken and ice cream...you get the point.
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #52
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Well, you don't want the ants getting on your roast beef, do you?

Followup report, nine months later:

* Clemens did pleasantly surprise me the other day by having wide-mouth Mason jars at one of their local outlets (three guesses who got a FoodSaver for Xmas). That saved me a trip down to KitchenEtc. in Delaware.

* Zagara's of Glen Mills -- RIP, which is a big bummer. They weren't the cheapest on anything, but they had a pretty eclectic selection, and were the only game in town for Jones Soda and Chile Today-Hot Tamale products. (Now I'll have to mail order the latter, as I'm not driving into New Jersey for groceries without a court order.)

* Trader Joe's picked up and then dropped my Spiced Apple brew. Feh! I've only bought one house-brand item that disappointed me there, however (their Jalapeno Pepper hot sauce, which was tasteless; their Tena Pepper sauce rocks). I bought a ton of stuff from there the other night.

Last edited by vsp; 02-05-2004 at 02:24 PM.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:06 PM   #53
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

More thread necromancy!

The former site of Zagara's in Glen Mills is becoming a FoodSource. The full title is apparently "FoodSource by Clemens," the latter part of which made me wary, but I checked out the Bryn Mawr FoodSource anyway.

Plusses:
* Very nice-looking produce.
* They had Jones Soda, including the elusive Strawberry Lime and Lemon Drop flavors, and carried the Joe Tea line (the lemonade of which is very good).
* Their "hot case" of prepared foods looked good, priced like Whole Foods with a bit more selection.
* Helpful staff.

Minuses:
* Generally high-priced, even on house-brand items. I'd have tried a jar or two of their store-label salsas if they hadn't been six bucks apiece. (Granted, this is a specialty store, and it's supposed to be high-end goods. But for $33.99 a pound, their Scottish Salmon ought to come stuffed full of savings bonds or something.)
* A bit scattershot on their snacks section, and I was hoping for Chile Today Hot Tamale products and didn't get 'em.
* Bad parking situation (small lot, hard to access). The Glen Mills store won't have that problem.)

When the new store opens, it won't make me forget about Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, but it'll be a nice alternative when I don't feel like driving all the way to Devon for the former.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote