The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #31
afrayedknot
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I have no soul... I act as if I do. You can look but touching will cost you a trip to the Caymans.
Its hard for me to find suitable mates these days. -Signed Souless in Tampa
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #32
rkzenrage

I live near you in Winter Haven.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #33
afrayedknot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I live near you in Winter Haven.
You can look, but touching will cost you a trip to the Caymans
Old 06-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #34
rkzenrage

Dang.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #35
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyVixen
...One of the questions they actually had the inclination to ask was, "If you were at a party, and everyone left, would you help clean up?" My response was "depends on how good the party was." Nevertheless, I didn't get the position...with hindsight, as it always is, I am glad that I didn't.
"Well, if everyone left, I wouldn't be there to help clean up, now would I?"

That is why I am self employed. At one of my last jobs workin' for the man, I went right into his office and said "I hear there is gonna be drug testing at this place. If that's the case, I'd like to test the mushrooms."

Turns out it was a rumor and there wasn't gonna be any drug testing, but he knew where I stood.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #36
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Congrats, you're in a database if you took one of those tests.

WaPo Article
Rense
Underreported cache

Almost makes you want to support small business doesn't it?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just located this very nice personality test.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:46 AM   #38
NoBoxes

Thanks for the effort wolf; but, that test states "(do not draw outside the frame!). Clearly, it would not be an appropriate diagnostic tool for NoBoxes!

Seriously though, as managerial and human resources positions are increasingly being filled by people with generic qualifications (degrees and/or licensure without industry specific experience) they become more reliant upon outsourcing their recruiting evaluations to professional profilers. Many people in hiring positions lack the assessment skills necessary to ensure good job to people matches.

The corporate assessments I've seen appear to have been geared towards determining how many additional responsibilities, outside of their primary position, salaried workers would be willing to accept and how much work hourly workers would be willing to do off the clock. This information is elicited in questions that seemingly address team spirit and customer service. The profiling almost always seems to reflect management's perspective (providing for the bottom line) rather than that of those in the disciplines/jobs being profiled (aptitude and personality match).

I've been through only one assessment that seemed to be geared towards both management and the discipline/job involved: that was for a specialized assignment in the military. I went through an extensive battery of psychological exams (incl. Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Profile) and personal interviews by both the immediate supervisor for the position and the unit psychologist who himself had to be interviewed and approved for his position by the psychologist to the President [there was a psychological chain of authority just as there is a medical chain of authority in hospitals]. I've not yet seen such an interdisciplinary approach to hiring in corporate America. I suspect that most corporate profiling is easily defeated by anyone with experience in the work force.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Most jobs don't give you the ability to launch a nuclear strike. I understand the military's desire to be careful. Or did you carry the football?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Except for the technical positions in "Corporate America", they're only concerned with finding cooperative serfs. They plan on instructing every employee exactly what and how they want them to perform. It's my way or the highway, so uncooperative people are a waste of their time and money.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 PM   #41
afrayedknot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Except for the technical positions in "Corporate America", they're only concerned with finding cooperative serfs. They plan on instructing every employee exactly what and how they want them to perform. It's my way or the highway, so uncooperative people are a waste of their time and money.
My situation is the opposite. It basically says I will resist authority and clash with traditional processes. I want to do things my way and I lack basic tact. These things don't seem to bother them. In fact, as a small update to my original post..Not only do I have the position they are paying to relocate me. I'm ecstatic about this.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #42
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

The company that relies on this sort of test is not the company that deserves the benefit of my experience.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #43
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

The corporations have a lot of power when they can micromanage the life of the average worker in such ways.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:27 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrayedknot
snip~..Not only do I have the position they are paying to relocate me. I'm ecstatic about this.
Congratulations, you must have skills, maybe they want someone to lead them.
Where ya moving to?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #45
afrayedknot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Congratulations, you must have skills, maybe they want someone to lead them.
Where ya moving to?
I'll tell you after it happens. I'm slightly superstitious.