The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Tutku
Kinda New Member

why Georgia takes up arms?

why Georgia takes up arms?

hallo! my name is Tutku, from Turkey. the question i want to speak about is my country's neighbor Georgia. honestly, this backward country causes much concern. i'm speaking about Georgian president's constant notifications that the problem of reunification of Georgia and its breakaway autonomies will be solved only by means of negotiations and other peaceful means. how disingenuous of Saakashvili to say this! in this case why should Georgia so actively take up arms? according to various international news agencies, Georgia's arms expenditures have passed the $400ml mark! this is an all-time record in the region and Georgia does not seem to bringing to a halt this arms race of a single country. at the same time world agencies report, that Georgia is the poorest country in this region as well. this means that over 80% of Georgian population live below the poverty line. Underfinancing of educational system causes closed schools and higher education establishments. people go hungry and do not get their retiring pensions or wages. but at the same time Georgia receives tons of second-hand armament and munition from NATO novice members in Eastern Europe. by the way, why should "unaggressive" Georgia purchase Turkey-Chinese – made 320mm MLRS's WS-1B from my country? See the link http://www.army-technology.com/projects/ws1b it's said here that these MLRS have the maximum firing range of 80km which makes them very useful in offensive actions against targets deep behind enemy lines including military bases, massed armoured divisions, missile launch site, airports and airstrips, harbours and military industrial bases. i don't think Georgian autonomies have any military bases of their own. so why would Georgia buy these MLRS's? It is easy to understand that Georgia has become a source of destabilization in the Caucasus while European politicians keep up appearances as if it bore no relation to them. no, dear sirs, all this has a direct relationship to Europe as well. European countries will once have to pay for silent assent of US politics to turn Georgia into a staging area for invasion of Iran. mind it, very soon there will be terrorist attacks by Iranian gunmen in Georgia itself and Europe – both Eastern and Western too. i just wanted to warn you
Tutku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome, Tutku!

I'm not sure about the staging for invasion of Iran thing ... As far as we're concerned, Georgians are Russians (yes, I understand the difference, but well, there was this thing called the Cold War...) and we don't trust Russians.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Merhaba, Tutku! And has the Caucasus ever been stable or altogether quiet over the long term? The place is full of small, ornery tribes, about like Afghanistan, and for the same reasons -- and it would be likely to pose the same problems.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
child_of_fate
Kinda New Member

Freedom in Georgian way

Our “sage Micho Saakashvili became very brave politician, who announced that Georgia had made great leap forward democracy and to observance of human rights. He’s even so naive that continues to figure on EU membership up till now. That’s when we have got into the same list of countries with Sudan extirpating Darfour population, red China, fanatic Iran and dictatorships of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. Those countries put in force censorship in Internet. And our bright government made an exhibition of itself together with those “comrades”. But they at least don’t pretend that they’re the most democratic countries in the world. So that’s a great disgrace for us with our ambitions.
My blog and blogs of my friends in live journal is watched by Georgian special service. They’ve already made me two warnings with demand to remove my posts. That is why I decided to write here not in my blog. Seemingly they don’t care that the Occident considers Georgian laws to be “discrepant and rather vague” that creates restriction of freedom of speech in Internet.
Saakashvili defends himself weakly arguing that “Law about Internet” was passed during Shevardnadze in power. But it changes nothing for us. We can’t write what we think openly. At the same time nothing prevents our president from repeal of such draconian law. But he merely doesn’t want to.
child_of_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Welcome Tutku and CoF!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by child_of_fate View Post
My blog and blogs of my friends in live journal is watched by Georgian special service. They’ve already made me two warnings with demand to remove my posts.
Is that why you're posting from Japan?.... and tutku from Syria?