The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-02-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

In Praise of The Breakfast Taco

I miss being able to wander down any street and get a terrific, cheap, tasty breakfast taco and a good cup of coffee. Texas *sigh* has that going on. Up north here, its slow to come. (too slow for me cause I'm hungry!) Sure McDonalds tried the breakfast burrito thing- lame, mushy, processed, no wonder it wasnt a big hit. We have Chipotles springing up unable to handle the lines out their doors, and a number of smaller mexican groceries and restaurants. But as of yet, there has been no freshly made,quicky, tex mex breakfast taco stand.

To curb the cravings, we make them at home, a Sunday breakfast treat, But the real gem is being to grab one when you need it, any morning. Ahh.

So I know if some enterprising sort would just open a little storefront, hell, a booth, somewhere near the U campus here and start offering simple, fresh breakfast tacos and coffee, damn! Only open from 7am to 1pm, it would be a gold mine. You just need a grill, ice chest and a cash box. Touted as a hangover aid, The rabble would line the street for their fix. (I would take this enterprise on myself, but I cant get to work by 7, and it would involve serving people. I would be the rabble.)

What is the ultimate breakfast taco? For me its fried potato, scrambled egg, and white mexican farmer cheese on a fresh corn tortilla, with lots of jalapeno laced fresh pico de gallo, touch of cilantro and lime. I'll take two. Other swell combos include crumbly chorizo (gloriously orange)mixed with the egg, or migas, or black beans. You can build an assortment. Oh, and let the people put on their own salsa.

There is a young guy that has taken over an old bar down the street and has been trying all sorts of stuff to bring the people. He has started to offer morning coffee and baked goods. I might but this bug in his ear: Breakfast Tacos baby. and NO JAR SALSA!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

When I worked in Bethesda, MD, there was a Mexican joint that served awesome breakfast food. Cheap too.

Of course, breakfast taco to me means going to Jack in the Box at 7 in the morning for 4 monster tacos.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I ate all manner of breakfast burrito last week. They were fabulous. The best was at a farmers market where the vendor wouldn't /couldn't say what the meat was in the scrambled eggs. I don't care whose pet it was it was good sausage.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
When I worked in Bethesda, MD, there was a Mexican joint that served awesome breakfast food. Cheap too.

Of course, breakfast taco to me means going to Jack in the Box at 7 in the morning for 4 monster tacos.
Ahh, Jack in the Box. Back in the mid-70's when I was in high school, we had a Jack in the Box near us. I came in second in our taco eating contest with I believe 12 tacos.

Jack in the Box shut down in PA 10-20 years ago. I recently went on a business trip to CA and tried a Jack in the Box taco again. I guess Taco Bell has spoiled me, because it really did taste a lot less appetizing than I remembered.

I still cannot understand why Jack in the Box sells tacos in California, where there are so many Mexican drive-thrus and mom & pop restaurants that sell them. Yes, convenience counts for something but quality wise a JITB taco tastes less like a real taco than even the cheapest McD burger tastes like a burger from a good diner.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:31 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The closest Jack in the Box to Philadelphia now is in Charlotte.

Jack in the Box has been around since 1951, and is based in San Diego, so it's probably been around as long, if not longer, than some of those mom and pop joints.

I don't know what's wrong with you Rich, but those tacos are fantastic. You KNOW it's a greasy unhealthy taco, with limp lettuce and sliced cheese...but it's still so good.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote