The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
marichiko

Mancos, Colorado, part II

Well, I've been off the board for a week thanks to the joys of small town living. First the guy at the telephone company didn't believe that Mancos even existed, then he stubbornly refused to believe that the previous occupant of my apartment had passed on to greener pastures. I had telephone service for a while then it reverted back to Mr. P's new residence in heaven, apparently. I called the phone company and asked if they wanted a message from beyond the grave or a letter personally signed by God attesting to the fact that Mr. P. is no longer among us, and I finally got my phone and Internet service back. Thank you Mr. P for enlightening QWEST when I'm sure you have better things to do.

Anyhow, in the absence of the Internet, I've been having to make do with real people for this last week. This has been both enlightening and terrifying. I have been getting to know the rest of the people in my little apartment complex. One was on the wait list for two years and another waited for a year to get in as did I.

Everyone seems very grateful to have their homes. We each have a small patch of front and back lawn that we can do with as we please, and everyone without exception plants flowers and tends their lawns. Our little complex looks quite swank if I do say so myself.

My next door neighbor is a Zuni Indian who worked on the oil rigs all his life until one blew up with him on it and he almost died and dislocated both his shoulders as well as suffering a brain injury from falling 60 feet and landing on his head. Another neighbor has severe fibromyalgia which often keeps her bedridden and a third is 83 and suffering from cancer.

We are quite the spunky lot, tending our patches of flowers and lawns. I am deeply grateful to the Rural Development's home program for helping us all out. Thank you USA!

Last edited by marichiko; 06-01-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Great to have you back with us! I can see now why Belle Starr's barking might get on a few of the remaining nerve endings in your complex
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
marichiko

Yeah, Tonchi, I'm going to have to try one of those no bark collars on Starr. Her bark is quite loud, and its natural for a dog to bark. I can't stop her completely from doing it, but when you have neighbors who are elderly and/or suffering from various disabilities, it makes it hard on everyone.

The people across from me keep a large flock of chickens and the crowing of their rooster annoys ME. The damn bird wakes me up at the crack of dawn whether I want to get up that early or not.

Most of the streets here are unpaved, and there's a 4 way stop sign at EVERY intersection. This took a while for me to get used to after speeding around on a big city's streets.

I love the quality of the light and the air, though. Everything seems so vibrant without the pollution of Colorado's front range.

The big, unpleasant surprise has been gas as high as $3.10/gal, and the closest supermarket, pharmacy, etc. is a good 32 mi round trip to the metropolis of Cortez and back.

My new Zuni friend has invited me to a pow wow that's going on in Shiprock, NM, this weekend. He promised fry bread and mutton stew and the best Indian market in the 4-Corners. He is fluent in both Zuni and Navajo, so I think he'll make a great guide!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Wow, that's interesting that he is involved with the Navajo ceremonies. From everything I have heard (mostly from Tony Hillerman), the Navajos and Zunis thoroughly dislike each other and the Zunis, especially, try to keep their activities secret. If he has free access to both cultures, he would be a very interesting person to know. Have fun!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
One was on the wait list for two years and another waited for a year to get in as did I.
I Thought that politician shortened that up for you?

The Zuni sounds like he could provide many, many moons of enthralling entertainment and a unique insight. Wonder if he knew Buster?

Glad you're happy with the digs. If you turn on a bright light at, say 3 am, you might be able to get that rooster to annoy everybody enough to make the Sunday dinner menu.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I Thought that politician shortened that up for you?

The Zuni sounds like he could provide many, many moons of enthralling entertainment and a unique insight. Wonder if he knew Buster?

Glad you're happy with the digs. If you turn on a bright light at, say 3 am, you might be able to get that rooster to annoy everybody enough to make the Sunday dinner menu.
My Zuni neighbor has a brother named Buster! Do ya suppose?

My politician friend DID put in a good word for me. I have been trying to get back to this area for a year. When I first came down last summer there were no openings, then magically one appeared this spring, here I am!

Tonchi, I've read Hillerman, too, and he does emphasize the animosity between the Navajo and the Pueblo tribes - especially the Hopi. The Navajo and Hopi have been working hard to heal the rift between the two groups and, although all is far from brotherly love, relations between the two tribes are better than what I've seen so far in my 30 year love affair with the 4 Corners area.

I am hoping that my new Zuni friend can get me into Shalako this coming December. That would be too cool for words! We'll see.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hey....I thought you got a band

Geez. I miss a few episodes and everything changes.

Hope you like your new cool place.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
marichiko

Errr... I'd watch it with those red letters if I were you. Actually, I think I may be getting a band - its called the Zuni. It looks as though I'll be introduced to it, anyhow. I love living in the Wild West again with cowboys and Indians and getting to play at being Ms. Kitty!