The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #16
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs
*coughLeavenwoth.prisoncough*
Hall of Fame, right now!

But I reckon the upside is that the cellar wouldn't be blocked on the computers in the prison library, so, you'll have that goin' for you, eh?
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

cotse.net is worthwhile. You have to pay, but it's a good service. Tor (http://tor.eff.org) is good too and it's free, but you have to be able to install software on the computer, which may or may not be feasible. Cotse will run entirely through a web browser on port 443.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Oooh, I am screwed if this ever happens at my work, no internet at home. Ugh, I'd have to get a whole new computer, mine is WAY old, like, the HD is 2G. Totally ancient. Not enough oomph to run computer games for my 3 year old!!!
Even an ancient P166 will run Win98SE and Firefox (my home box) fast enough to surf the cellar. It's not this is one of those bloated flash navigation sites. Put behind a firewall/router like the WRT54G and with up to date virus definitions and your as safe as your ever going to be connected to the world.
mitheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #19
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Although one wonders exactly what it was that pushed cellar.org over the edge. (Maybe it was the woman with the silicone watermelons.)
Many of these blocking programs don't work that way. What they'll do is feed the firewall server logs thru the blocking program which then blocks everything that hasn't been previously marked safe. Then when you get the red screen you can choose to unblock it but theoretically one of your bosses gets a report summerising what you've requested be unblocked. If it isn't actually work related your boned.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:50 PM   #20
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

anonymiser is run by the Federal Government as I recall. They say they don't retain user or use records but I do not believe them.

Just find a site that uses frames to pull in other sites and the cellar URL never shows up in your transmission logs or browser history. The content is transmitted as content from the host site and if you can navigate to it then it is an OK site w/r to your nannyware. I used to know a few but forgot them all - if I remember or see another one, I'll post it but you should be able to find one though you can't really google for that.

And don't forget that you are not responsible for knowing that the Cellar is a blocked site - that would be a software failure.

Last edited by Beestie; 09-29-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #21
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
anonymiser is run by the Federal Government as I recall. They say they don't retain user or use records but I do not believe them.
I just can't believe that. Considering that they haven't even been able to get the FBI online in the last 20 years or connect all the fingerprint files to/from other law enforcement agencies, not to mention the agents having to use their home computers just to access stuff they need for their cases, I doubt anybody in our government is designing and maintaining a site like anonymizer. However, I wouldn't put it past them to force the site to turn over all records of the users to Homeland Security, who will then put them in an unsecured storage and lose them permanently.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 AM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
However, I wouldn't put it past them to force the site to turn over all records of the users to Homeland Security, who will then put them in an unsecured storage and lose them permanently.
As they're storing them they will find the box containing the Ark of the Covenant, however.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:23 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thaks a good thing. I'd love to see them all melt like candles.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 AM   #24
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
I just can't believe that. ? ? ? However, I wouldn't put it past them to force the site to turn over all records of the users to Homeland Security, who will then put them in an unsecured storage and lose them permanently.
Turns out you are correct. Anonymizer is not run by the government but, instead, works with the government to provide unfiltered access to the internet from within countries where access is limited by the foreign government. In any event, I think your last point is probably pretty accurate.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecurityFocus.com
A pact between the U.S. government and the electronic privacy company Anonymizer, Inc. is making the Internet a safer place for controversial websites and subversive opinions -- if you're Iranian.
Unintended Risks and Consequences of Circumvention Technologies: The IBB's Anonymizer Service in Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OpenNet Initiative
? ? ? It is curious to find the United States government promoting a tool to circumvent Iranian limits on freedom while imposing crude and, even by its own standards, widely overdrawn limits of its own.

? ? ? There is also the potential risk to users who think they are using an "anonymous" circumvention technology, which can, in fact, be traced and tracked.
edited to fix link

Last edited by Beestie; 09-30-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The second link...doesn't.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #26
Fleur
drama queen

I never worked in any place where you could get onto the internet because I worked mainly in hospitals or doctor's offices.

They are so tightly locked down, for many reasons, that one cannot ever see the light of an internet...just University E-mail as such.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #27
mitheral
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur
I never worked in any place where you could get onto the internet because I worked mainly in hospitals or doctor's offices.

They are so tightly locked down, for many reasons, that one cannot ever see the light of an internet...just University E-mail as such.
Did you know there are web -> email gateways ? Just send an email to the correct address with the URL you want to read and receive an email of the page contents in return.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #28
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitheral
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
... Ugh, I'd have to get a whole new computer, mine is WAY old, like, the HD is 2G. Totally ancient.
Even an ancient P166 will run Win98SE and Firefox (my home box) fast enough to surf the cellar. It's not this is one of those bloated flash navigation sites. Put behind a firewall/router like the WRT54G and with up to date virus definitions and your as safe as your ever going to be connected to the world.
This is posted from a 486 66 Mhz machine. However if I was running Windows98, the machine would run too slow. This machine runs Windows NT 4.0 which is why 66 Mhz remains sufficiently fast.

In another discussion was an assumption that their automobile needs hundreds of horsepower. 100 Horse is still too small? Tim Allen's Home Improvement was making a joke of these people: "More power". Amazing that without massive power, drivers start learning driving techniques. Same concept advocates teenagers have a horsepower restriction on their driver's license.

A computer with a 2G hard drive has more than plenty of computing power to access The Cellar. Also why pilots first train on low power aircraft. This is why better pilots are also glider pilots. Its called first learning your limitations; developing skills accordingly. First learning the skills of flying rather than use "more power" to mask bad piloting skills. A computer 'power user' would know these 'ancient' machines are still sufficient - and learn from the experience.

Over there is another 66 Mhz 486 from HP. It has one speed advantage over this 486 and a 500 Mhz Gateway running Windows 98SE - a significantly faster video subsystem. How can this be? They both have the same or less Mhz? Appreciate why so many clone machines are, in reality, less powerful.

Ask yourself if Tim Allen's joke about "more power" was pointed directly at yourself. Even 500 Mhz was more than sufficient power for most internet and other functions. Experienced computer users would know this ... and the reasons why.

Good reason why I went from DOS directly to NT - bypassed Windows 3.1 and Windows 9x. Learned from using what others 'assumed' were obsolete machines. Machines declared obsolete too often by hype rather than by fact.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #29
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Pass.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #30
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Anonymizer is not run by the government but, instead, works with the government to provide unfiltered access to the internet from within countries where access is limited by the foreign government.
Isn't it EXACTLY the spinning of lies which we have come to expect from our wonderful government? They are BENEFITING the world by supporting technology which permits veiled access to the internet! As like, SAUDI TERRORIST CELLS anywhere in hiding no longer have to worry about blocked access to their controllers from Islamic states who think the internet is a tool of the Great Satan? Oh, and in passing, we'll keep records of anybody who uses our service so we will be able to see who's library cards we need to be examining.

I liked it better when I thought it was just some geek kids who figured out how to beat the system