The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
dave

mother fuckin' PAD GAI!!!!!!!

While we were at the Fitzwater Station this weekend for Undertoad's Surprise Birthday Party, I was asked a funny question.

wolf was sitting to my left, and she asked basically "So, what <b>is</b> mother fucking pad gai?"

Pad Gai, pronounced "pad guy", is a Thai food dish. It consists of a base of lettuce with flat rice noodles, chicken, bits of fried egg and "carrot noodles" (thin slices of carrot). I have only seen it served at one restaurant - <a href="http://www.busara.com/">Busara</a> in Tyson's Corner, VA. It is described on their menu as "Chicken and rice noodles stir-fried with egg and light garlic sauce". A very reasonably priced dish at around $6.75 lunch and $10 dinner, it is also quite tasty. The bulk of the goodness lies with the noodles, which are flavored in a manner that defies description. The chicken is also quite delectable, and should be consumed near the end of the meal with the noodles (as to go out on a good note). Both the carrot noodles and the lettuce should be consumed first, so that they are out of the way when the real eating starts. Alternatively, they may be discarded entirely.

Pad Gai should be eaten with chopsticks, as to get more of the experience of eating Thai food. It also takes a bit longer for most people to eat with chopsticks, which means the food lasts longer and therefore is a more pleasing meal.

It is most appropriately eaten following an appetizer of chicken satay, which is essentially marinated chicken cooked onto a stick and served with two pieces of toast and both a peanut dipping saunce (very tasty) and a spicier concotion (also for dipping and also quite tasty).

When referred to by Dave or his friends, Pad Gai is correctly pronouced "mother fuckin' PAD GAI!!!!!!", the voice getting deeper at the "PAD" and continuing throughout the "GAI", which is extended (think "GAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIII"). An exception is made when ordering, when the wait staff is told simply "Pad Gai" when they ask what you would like for your meal.

I have never met anyone that thought Pad Gai was anything less than superb.

Last edited by dave; 11-18-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Even though it would mean leaving the firearms at home, I believe a road trip may be in order.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

mmm yummy

By coincidence, I am at this moment sitting down with a dish of Thai stuff for lunch. Not authentic, but homemade. Stir fry some chicken... some onions and red bell peppers... boil up some store-bought basil-flavored pad thai noodles.. and top with Thai peanut sauce (Taste of Thai, thankyouverymuch). Authentic? No. Comparable to good Thai restarant fare? No. Superior to a peanut butter & jellly sandwich? Hell yes.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Pad Gai kicks all kinds of ass. I even found some good Pad Gai noodles one can cook at home, at Trader Joe's (their own brand). Cooked it up with some bean sprouts, chicken, and egg. Tastier than hell.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:58 PM   #5
dave

Actually wolf, Virginia is a CCW state. Maryland could be an issue.

Even if they weren't, I'd rather break the law and get charged with weapon possession than be dead from a mugger who doesn't care what the law says.

As far as road trips, Busara is quite the hot spot, so an early dinner is probably the best idea. A Saturday at or around 6PM is most likely ideal, and it leaves time for video games and the ~2 hour drive home. Bring Tony when you come. 95 South to 495 West, call me on the cell when you cross the Potomac into Virginia.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'm busy this Saturday and next, but December is mostly open.

I've been known to drive when other people pay tolls and gas.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Actually wolf, Virginia is a CCW state. Maryland could be an issue.
Maryland IS an issue, and Virginia does not have reciprocity with Pennsylvania at this point. (neither does Delaware, which is another pass-through state).

And while I agree, I'd rather be alive and explaining myself to the police, I also would, at this point, prefer not to do anything that would endanger my CCW status. I'm extremely careful about that. I'm also considering negotiating the paperwork for a couple of states non-res permits which would give fairly comprehensive coverage/access to many US states. In the mean time, I have a book of the transit and transport laws in the US, and pay pretty close attention to it (and I stay out of NY and NJ whenever possible).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 PM   #8
mwbEEf
Not a urine monkey

To make for a safer evening, I run a limo/bodyguard service for those desiring to partake in the mother fuckin' Pad Gai. My route runs from Dave's house to Busara at Tyson's Corner and back again later in the evening (you know, after food has been consumed). I have no kevlar though, so I'm only good for 1 - 3 shots depending on the aim of any persons attempting to get their "assault on".

As a side, I am also giving my full recommendation to the Mango with sweet, sticky rice (not sure of the official title) for desserts. Daver, you need to try this.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I'm in for December

let me know the details.

Brian
Old 11-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #10
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Hrmmmm something Mid Decemberish sounds good....there's another birthday to celebrate

*ducking*

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Pad gai is pretty good stuff, although I haven't had it in...almost 2 years...Jesus!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:29 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagney
Hrmmmm something Mid Decemberish sounds good....there's another birthday to celebrate

*ducking*
Oh yeah ... the 17th isn't it? (and I'll bet he thought nobody remembers)

Old 11-20-2003, 03:20 PM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Sorry, the NINTEENTH event has been cancelled due to lack of interest and advancing old age.

Brian
Old 11-20-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Shhhh don't listen to him Wolf....

I haf vays of changing hish mynd!

*evil chuckle*

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote