The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-12-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

World Reaction part 4

Canada
Pedestrians stop to read notes of condolence and leave flowers outside the American Embassy in Ottawa.

Canada 2
Mark Harris (L), from New York city, is overcome with emotion while viewing cards and flowers placed by well-wishers outside the United States Consulate building in downtown Toronto.

Poland
An unidentified person prays in front of candles placed outside the U.S. embassy in Warsaw,..

Argentina
A mourner holds a card which reads "My condolences from Argentina" during a praying ceremony in Buenos Aires.

Brazil
A security agent of the U.S. Embassy reads a card that was left with flowers in memory of the victims of the terrorist attacks on the United States, in front of U.S. Embassy, in Brasilia, Brazil.

Macedonia
Unidentified girls light candles in front of the U.S. embassy in Skopje, Macedonia.

Indonesia
A police officer looks at flowers of condolences outside the main gate of the United States embassy in the Indonesian capital Jakarta.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:11 AM   #2
kaleidoscopic ziggurat
Coronation Incarnate

that is -directly- across the street from where i work. our whole building had to be evacuated tuesday morning...
kaleidoscopic ziggurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 07:50 PM   #3
Count Zero
Colloquialist

Everything that happened in NY last week is of course dreadful, and, as should be expected, everybody in this forum has expressed grief or anger, or a mixture of both.

But, for someone who lives far away from the whole mess, the emotions are not as intense... I know that the pictures of this thread tend to show otherwise, and I personally felt terrible seeing on TV the people that were falling from the twin towers and the other stunning images, but I have been getting *jokes* emailed to me about the whole situation...

For most people that don't live in the US, despite the fact that these attacks may affect the whole world in a way or another, the people that were killed in NY are no different than those killed anywhere else in the world, where the number of deaths are sometimes much higher. In fact they are of course no different, but Americans feel it much more intensely because it's their own people.

I'm writing this because since a lot of non-Americans (by this I mean Brazilians) don't feel as much grief as most Americans do, and there always was some anti-American feelings due to the American government's attitude toward the third world countries and it's truculent and arrogant ways of dealing with foreign affairs, people are starting to satirize the whole issue, as I already said before.

I have some images that were sent to me, and I want to know if it's OK for me to post them, without anyone becoming deeply offended or starting to flame me.

I want to reiterate that I in no way sympathize with those deaths, and I don't think the people that made those (mean) satires really do.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 08:44 PM   #4
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
I have some images that were sent to me, and I want to know if it's OK for me to post them, without anyone becoming deeply offended or starting to flame me.
I think our gracious host, the Undertoad, has always made it clear that Cellar Dwellars are free to share just about anything on this forum. And goodness knows we've taken him up on his offer!

Speaking only for myself, I would not be offended to see such things here. It might be instructive to see how recent events look to other, less sympathetic societies. Sympathy from friendly foreign nations has been just about the only foreign reaction we've seen on the news here in the US... a leavening of sarcasm might be bracing.

Quote:
I want to reiterate that I in no way sympathize with those deaths, and I don't think the people that made those (mean) satires really do.
Relax. Anybody who's ever told a Helen Keller joke understands what you mean.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 08:51 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm not surprised at all, nor does it upset me. It wouldn't surprise me if some Americans were satirizing about this...they're probably all in hiding for fear of being tied up with an American flag, beaten, and scorned.

Bring it on Count Zero...I'm all for it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2001, 09:02 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, yes, please post them ,and I'm sure that people will understand - if not, we can just explain.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:08 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Feeling satirical

Actually, the Count has given me a satirical thought...

What if one day a year, the United Nations had an Insult Day, where countries could flame each other, all in the name of fun...it would similar to telling "Your mama..." jokes.

For example:

--Brazil to the US: "You treat the third world like pieces of meat to feast upon."

--US to Brazil: "Sao Paulo makes Los Angeles and Houston look spotless."

--France to Germany: "You dragged the world into two world wars."

--Germany to France: "Maginot line. Enough said."

It's either this, or let sworn enemies whack each other with funnoodles. Imagine...Pakistan and India slapping each other silly. You could charge admission for that one!

After all the seriousness of the past few weeks, we need some more humor...after all, Dubya wants it that way.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 08:54 AM   #8
Count Zero
Colloquialist

Re: Feeling satirical

Ok, I've posted them...

Quote:

It's either this, or let sworn enemies whack each other with funnoodles. Imagine...Pakistan and India slapping each other silly. You could charge admission for that one!
Reminds me of Dr. Strangelove... Specialy the alternate ending that was cut out ( it involved a food fight ). :p
Old 09-21-2001, 08:57 AM   #9
dave

Re: Re: Feeling satirical

Quote:
Ok, I've posted them...
and they are where?

Food fight ending was cool. Would have kinda not gone as well though of course, that's why Kubrick cut it...
Old 09-21-2001, 09:12 AM   #10
Count Zero
Colloquialist

Re: Re: Re: Feeling satirical

Quote:

and they are where?
I started a new thread... "Here goes nothing... (World Reaction Part 5?)".

Quote:

Food fight ending was cool. Would have kinda not gone as well though of course, that's why Kubrick cut it...
The actual ending is perfect... But the idea of a pie fight is superb. I think it could have been a difficult decision for him. That's why he shot it.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Bump part 4