The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 04-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #1
Snakeadelic
Banned

Net Neutrality

Anyone else notice that the new head of the FCC is expecting to start handing off control of Internet speed, content, and access to AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, et cetera as early as NEXT MONTH? And has stated he expects them to voluntarily police themselves with regard to customer protections and access equality. Suuuuuure they will.

Been nice knowin' y'all. Once that handoff occurs, I might not even be able to afford the right access to post here.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It won't affect your access to the Cellar. But it may affect any high-bandwidth software or sites you use, depending on throttling aggreements they are able to reach with ISPs, and raise the barriers to entry for any new ones.

For example, Comcast could throttle Netflix during contract disputes, the way they take down cable channels during contract disputes.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
Snakeadelic
Banned

It'll affect my access to everything if it pushes our phone/net/cable bundle out of affordability. My household has to get by on about $1500 a month, of which a whopping $375 is mine to spend (which includes making payments on the $1200 I still owe my dentist). The news articles I read from around the world talked about things like individual websites having to pay 30% of their revenue to their carriers above and beyond what they may already be paying--and that includes sites like Netflix, Twitter, Ebay, Etsy, Facebook...all of 'em. You can bet those costs will be passed to consumers pretty much instantly. They're also talking about making it legal for a carrier, such as AT&T, to completely refuse its customers access to sites owned by competing carriers. It's going to be a messy, expensive disaster that will leave many thousands of individuals, organizations, and underfunded schools & states out in the cold, unable to afford to log on for anything.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Happy Monkey

Net neutrality has little to do with what the ISP charges you. As you say, eliminating it is bad for websites, and it may affect what sites are available, and what they individually cost, but your ISP costs themselves aren't affected by that. Broadband ISPs are frequently monopolies, or near enough, and are charging what the market will bear already.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
Happy Monkey

That said, it may well be the case that if you have a small, local, ISP, there could be a way they get screwed; I'm not sure.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I wonder what the effect on start-ups will be?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Happy Monkey

If it's a high-data startup, their barrier to entry will be much higher, as they'll have to pay not just their ISP, but all of their customers' ISPs as well.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
Snakeadelic
Banned

I think it's kinda weird that the main page lists over 600 threads in this area, but only like 6 show up when I actually come looking.

The FCC is planning to hand off control of pricing, speed, and access to AT&T, Viacom, Comcast, etc. They want to repeal ALL regulations that keep the internet considered a utility like electricity and phone. EVERYTHING will be in corporate hands by summer if Ajit Pai has his way.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Snakeadelic
Banned

This would mean, for us for example, that Charter (our cable and internet provider) could charge us an extra fee monthly to access each and every major streaming channel (Netflix, Hulu, Smithsonian, f*kkin PBS even), every cable channel, anything they want. Above and beyond the existing subscription costs. There are even strong suspicions that people will be charged to access Twitter, Etsy, Pinterest, and Facebook, either per login or a monthly fee NOT PAYABLE TO THE SITE. Payable to your carrier. THAT is the heart of the FCC's plan as I've read up on it.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
Snakeadelic
Banned

Oh, and their justification is that doing this will "encourage innovation and create jobs".

Yeah. I can see that happening as hundreds of small ISPs fold because their customers can't afford the carrier's additional charges and give up their accounts.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Snakeadelic
Banned

And it WILL apply to smartphone usage, by the way, not just home. You want to check Twitter on your phone? $5 per login, payable immediately. You want your grandma to stop nagging you to check her Facebook photos? "Grandma, did you know you have to pay $10 to your carrier every time you access Facebook now?"
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I'll make a wager with you.

If ANY of those things happen by the end of 2018, I will pay for your internet bill for a year. (Not phone or cable, just internet.)

If ANY of those things don't happen by 2018, you have to vote for Trump in 2020. (I will need video proof of the vote.)

Do we have a bet?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #13
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
This would mean, for us for example, that Charter (our cable and internet provider) could charge us an extra fee monthly to access each and every major streaming channel (Netflix, Hulu, Smithsonian, f*kkin PBS even), every cable channel, anything they want. Above and beyond the existing subscription costs.
No, the ISP will charge the content provider, who will pass on the price to you.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Paying per log in is not a viable business model...Are you a business school graduate?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
I think it's kinda weird that the main page lists over 600 threads in this area, but only like 6 show up when I actually come looking.

The FCC is planning to hand off control of pricing, speed, and access to AT&T, Viacom, Comcast, etc. They want to repeal ALL regulations that keep the internet considered a utility like electricity and phone. EVERYTHING will be in corporate hands by summer if Ajit Pai has his way.
scroll down, look at the Display Options box at the bottom of the page, make appropriate adjustments, you'll be able to see more threads. All of them if you so desire.