The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeadelic View Post
AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd yesterday the big announcement: Sprint has bought a 33% stake in the music service Tidal (which I believe owns just about everything Prince ever recorded). Guess who can't even access Tidal any more? People who aren't Sprint customers!

This is EXACTLY what I think AT&T is going to do with content it now owns due to the Time-Warner acquisition being allowed to go through. THIS is why my stomach hit the floor when I read about said acquisition.
That doesn't make sense, Sprint didn't pay a shitload of money for a third of Tidal because they're Prince fans. They bought it to make money. If people can't access it, they lose money.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Tidal is a flaming piece of shit that has been failing since before its announcement. Sprint bought into it because they are incompetent. There are no actual Tidal customers. Not literally, there are probably about 300,000 actual Tidal users worldwide. (Spotify = over 40,000,000)

Tidal doesn't own Prince songs. Prince's estate and Warner Music owns Prince songs.

Prince, in a terrible mistake of understanding how the new media world will work, decided to limit his streaming to Tidal. Prince intentionally decided that his music should only be limited to a certain number of fans. A very very small number of them. You should ONLY be angry with Prince for making that decision. He thought it would make him more money but exclusivity deals are failing to do that...!

HOWEVER, that exclusivity ended when Prince ended, and Spotify will start streaming Prince in February. (That was also announced yesterday)

ALL music streaming services that will survive have a free ad-supported model, accessible by everyone.

NOTHING to worry about. N O T H I N G
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #33
Mountain Mule
Slacker

Another Question

One of the forums I frequent was hacked on election day. It styles itself as "the most active liberal discussion board on the Internet," a grassroots group with no ties the official Democratic Party (although it sure has a lot of ads asking for money to support various official dem causes and candidates ). That board descended into chaos and it took them a couple of days to get up and running once more. Members had to register all over again and lot's of concern about individual's privacy being breached. Needless to say, they're a paranoid bunch at the moment, and one question that came up was how hard would it be for Доналд Трамп hacker's to purge sites that don't wholeheartedly support the new administration. Sounds like an awful lot of work to me. Plus, would it really work? Couldn't sites that got "purged" just keep on setting shop all over again the way that one did? No one on the other site ever really answered that question and I'm just curious.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As long as there are backups, any site can be easily re-created.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But somebody has to put in the time to do it. In the mean time, the public clamors at the gate. Goddamnit, it's been Nine and a half minutes, where is he?