The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I had a helluva dream last night. I dreamt I had the world's tightest hat stuck on my head...
Only fair. I had the worlds biggest dick in my ass.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Only fair. I had the worlds biggest dick in my ass.
That is the only time in recorded history the phrase "biggest dick" has been used in reference to The Gravdigr...(on second thought, maybe not...)

Thank you.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Blue, I don't like drink driving, but this time I'm calling you a lazy bugger for taking the car on a 1/4 mile round trip. You could have walked - well, staggered - that far.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

.08 is stupid.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Not to the lives it has saved, it isn't. Year after year the percentage of fatalities due to drunk driving have steadily decreased.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bullshit, .08 hasn't saved any more lives than .1 would have. All it's done is ruined peoples lives and raised money.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #22
blue
Operations Operative

agreed, it does nothing to keep the really bad repeat offenders off the road, and although you can't measure stupid, it's way aboove .08
yes I could have walked, I should have, hooch is heavy tho
Old 08-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #23
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bullshit, .08 hasn't saved any more lives than .1 would have...
Yes, it has. Since it came about in '02, the reduction in deaths has increased at a greater ratio than the years prior.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What they need is a heavyweight license. A friend of mine got booked at .10, but he's a serious alcoholic and a part-time bartender at Philly's Rum Bar. .10 is probably his walking around level. He should have a license for .13 or something.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
Yes, it has. Since it came about in '02, the reduction in deaths has increased at a greater ratio than the years prior.
No, it wasn't until 2005 that all states had .08. You're attributing the reduction of deaths which happened for many reasons, to the reduction in BAC. Also the way they now gather statistics, if a sober driver hits a drunk on a bicycle, it's an alcohol related death.

Driving drunk is bad, no question about it, but the drunks on the road are well over .1 BAC. The social drinker who is not impaired, is not a menace, is being harassed and financially raped, by this .08 bullshit. This is not an attack on drunk drivers, it's a thinly disguised attack on drinking at all.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #26
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My friend said he basically had a choice between paying 3 grand for a lawyer or going to jail for a weekend. He was poor so he chose B.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #27
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Aren't the DUII laws are based on greater than 0.08
and/or field sobiety tests by a LEO ?

link

The effects of alcohol intoxication are greatly influenced by individual variations among users. Some users may become intoxicated at a much lower Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) level than is shown.

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

P.S., The author in this link makes a (dumb) common mistake when setting ranges.
0.02-0.03
.................<--------- what happened to 0.031 to 0.040 ?
0.04-0.06
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #28
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, it wasn't until 2005 that all states had .08. You're attributing the reduction of deaths which happened for many reasons, to the reduction in BAC. Also the way they now gather statistics, if a sober driver hits a drunk on a bicycle, it's an alcohol related death.

Driving drunk is bad, no question about it, but the drunks on the road are well over .1 BAC. The social drinker who is not impaired, is not a menace, is being harassed and financially raped, by this .08 bullshit. This is not an attack on drunk drivers, it's a thinly disguised attack on drinking at all.
The rates have still gone done even when accounting for the date and impaired driver. I cant for the life of me find the link I got the chart from, but this site posts similar statistics)

Its true that serial DUI offenders have much higher bacs and are responsible for nearly 50% of the fatalities, however, my husband and I are both much less inclined to drink if we are going to drive because of this limit, and I'm sure we are not alone in that regard. Its had an impact.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pico and ME; 08-27-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

For me it's not about the death/crash statistics--I've seen video of a dozen people who believed they would be fine at .08, took a driving test on a closed course, drank until they blew exactly .08, and then took the test again. They were all impaired to some degree (despite being familiar with the course the second go-round,) and most to the degree that they accidentally "hit" something on the course.

Some people may be fine at .08. But many definitely are not. Unless we work out a program involving UT's heavyweight/lightweight boozer license designation, the state has to go with the safest common denominator.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
snip--
P.S., The author in this link makes a (dumb) common mistake when setting ranges.
0.02-0.03
.................<--------- what happened to 0.031 to 0.040 ?
0.04-0.06
Easy question (and you already know the answer). This is simple rounding. The precision of the values in his ranges is set to the nearest one-hundredth. Which means that your question about what happens to the values from 0.031 to 0.040 is that they're rounded to the nearest hundredth and categorized accordingly. Values in the range 0.031 -- 0.034 are declared to be 0.03. Values in the range 0.035 -- 0.040 are declared to be 0.040. Obviously you could repeat this same question with the range "what happened to 0.0340 to 0.0350" ad nauseam. I'd rather have a Pepto instead.