The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #76
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
You obviously don't know how American news works. These stories make networks. It's not like China where the government HIDES all their scandals and dirty laundered money.
You would be suprised on how much the US hides.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #77
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
You obviously don't know how American news works. These stories make networks. It's not like China where the government HIDES all their scandals and dirty laundered money. Not too mention communist gov't and how they "intervene" with people who don't believe in what they want. You want to talk about violence? How many police beatings happen A DAY in China? I have mannnnnny Chinese friends. I know what happens there. They visit China so I get the stories. Maybe in your utopia of Hong Kong there is no violence (shyeah right, Triads anyone?) but here in America there is freedom of PRESS where stories are heard, especially the BAD ones that make networks get coverage. Please keep your American bashing to yourself before you know the whole deal with this country.
I can't speak for mainland china because I have never lived there, I can only compare hong kong to america. In fact you can compare any major american city to hong kong sar and you will see the violence in the american city much more higher. And of course there is violence in hong kong, there is no such place on earth where people live that there is no violence. But the crime in hong kong, especially violent crime, is extremely low compared to america and hong kong is one of the freest places in the world to live. So tell me what is hong kong doing right and america doing wrong?
duck_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #78
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
By the way, before you pull the race card, I'm Asian too, like yourself. Filipino to be exact. But I know your opinions are full of holes and I have a lot of respect for my country, it's outrageous that you can come to this forum and just blantantly say America is a dangerous crime ridden country.
What does race have to do with the discussion?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #79
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
I can't speak for mainland china because I have never lived there, I can only compare hong kong to america. In fact you can compare any major american city to hong kong sar and you will see the violence in the american city much more higher. And of course there is violence in hong kong, there is no such place on earth where people live that there is no violence. But the crime in hong kong, especially violent crime, is extremely low compared to america and hong kong is one of the freest places in the world to live. So tell me what is hong kong doing right and america doing wrong?
Show me the stats, I refuse to degrade American cities based on a 16 year olds opinion. Are you one of those rich fobs who has never seen violence and wear aeropostle and american eagle because it looks really American? I know because I know what fobs at my university are like. I don't think you know a thing about American cities. I'm from Chicago and have been to NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Orlando, Miami and Atlanta. Please don't try to act like you know all about "major american cities." And you didn't even address what I said about American press. Since you didn't say anything I'll assume Hong Kong people are all out of the know. Well it's different here.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #80
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
You would be suprised on how much the US hides.
A significant amount less than China.
Who are we kidding. My friend went there on a missionary trip and heard the nighlty police beatings of civilians in the village. Nightly! I don't think that was in the newspaper the next morning.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #81
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
What does race have to do with the discussion?
It doesn't, I just didn't want you pulling out that card.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #82
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Show me the stats, I refuse to degrade American cities based on a 16 year olds opinion. Are you one of those rich fobs who has never seen violence and wear aeropostle and american eagle because it looks really American?
Ok I'm not sure what any of this means but here are your statistics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_murder_rate

Quote:
I know because I know what fobs at my university are like. I don't think you know a thing about American cities. I'm from Chicago and have been to NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Orlando, Miami and Atlanta. Please don't try to act like you know all about "major american cities." And you didn't even address what I said about American press. Since you didn't say anything I'll assume Hong Kong people are all out of the know. Well it's different here.
What about the american press? Hong kong has free press too. If there is a murder it will be reported just like in america so I don't see your point.
If you think I'm just america bashing then take the crime rate of your favorite american city and compare it to hong kong and see what you find. See what the comparison in murder, rape, armed robbery, kidnapping is. Maybe you should pay attention to what goes on in your country instead of letting pride color your opinion.

"Hong Kong SAR has a low crime rate. Travelers should exercise caution when in congested areas and pay particular attention to personal belongings while in crowded markets and while traveling on public transportation. Violent crime, though rare, does occur."
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1136.html

That is from your own state department regarding hong kong. Can you honestly say violent crime is rare in any major american city?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #83
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee View Post
mmmmmm........ Guess just how much I care for your so-called bill of rights, yank.
I think that's one of the reasons why we're not your colonies anymore, Limey*.

* Used in the pejorative sense meaning a person of British descent, rather than the proper name of a Dwellar, limey, whose name is spelled with a lower-case l, anyway.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #84
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Ok I'm not sure what any of this means but here are your statistics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_murder_rate
Then why are you telling me this. I'm throwing it out the window if you can't explain it.

Quote:

"Hong Kong SAR has a low crime rate. Travelers should exercise caution when in congested areas and pay particular attention to personal belongings while in crowded markets and while traveling on public transportation. Violent crime, though rare, does occur."
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1136.html

That is from your own state department regarding hong kong. Can you honestly say violent crime is rare in any major american city?
Um, did you read the terrorist report as well? Listen, Hong Kong may resemble Singapore or Tokyo but I still will not degrade American cities. You can't just come and say we are the most violent country in the world. And plus your wikipedia bullshit you can't even comprehend. Therefore I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't know stuff about American cities, which is what I am talking about, not Hong Kong. You have not spent enough time in America to know what it's about. Save your judgements before you call us criminals. Violence happens everywhere and I refuse to believe it is this rampant bullshit that you say. I KNOW American cities, you do not. Do not judge something before you experience it.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #85
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Fresh, she is right, America is easily the most violent first world country in the world. We have the highest murder rates and the highest number amount of people in prisions.

Here is stats for murder rates:
http://www.newsbatch.com/gc-intgunsa.html

I'm not going to look for one with prision rates but I know for a fact that we are highest.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #86
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Then why are you telling me this. I'm throwing it out the window if you can't explain it.

Um, did you read the terrorist report as well? Listen, Hong Kong may resemble Singapore or Tokyo but I still will not degrade American cities. You can't just come and say we are the most violent country in the world. And plus your wikipedia bullshit you can't even comprehend. Therefore I'm done arguing with someone who doesn't know stuff about American cities, which is what I am talking about, not Hong Kong. You have not spent enough time in America to know what it's about. Save your judgements before you call us criminals. Violence happens everywhere and I refuse to believe it is this rampant bullshit that you say. I KNOW American cities, you do not. Do not judge something before you experience it.
Ok try paying attention. The part where I said i didn't know what any of this means was in reference to your statement I highlighted in bold which was this.
Quote:
Are you one of those rich fobs who has never seen violence and wear aeropostle and american eagle because it looks really American?
Also I not once said america was the most violent nation in the world.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #87
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If we'd actually punish our criminals rather than trying to redeem them, we might get somewhere on lowering the crime rate.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #88
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't know what you're arguing about anyway. Australia still holds the record for the most people killed by gunshot in one sitting by a crazy gunman, and we're not even a violent country.

Things like this wont be stopped by different gun laws although we've had no more here since the government took away all semi auto weapons. Mind you, we hadn't had anything of that magnitude before either.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #89
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I assume you're talking about Port Arthur? I have met some of the responders to that incident.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #90
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
If we'd actually punish our criminals rather than trying to redeem them, we might get somewhere on lowering the crime rate.
Yes true. America should make a concerted effort to get rid of judges like edward cashman who does not believe in punishing criminals.