The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #166
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Perhaps.

Seriously, though...when I watched those videos, I was like, "Wow...what a fucking nerd." And I suspect that that's how many people viewed him. No wonder he just finally lost his mind. He was fine on the surface, but raging underneath...and he decided to finally let loose Monday. The two Columbine shooters came across the same way to me.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #167
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
Perhaps.

Seriously, though...when I watched those videos, I was like, "Wow...what a fucking nerd."
Have any links to the videos? I heard they aired on television but haven't caught them floating around the net, yet.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM   #168
elSicomoro

Scroll down to the video section on MSNBC.com...make sure you're using IE or FireFox.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #169
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Aside from my well-known opinions on guns, this guy should never had been able to get a gun.
You might be correct.

Quote:
On the same day as the second complaint, a person told campus police that they were concerned that Cho might be suicidal. Police did not identify the person, but two of Cho's roommates have said they communicated this concern to the resident advisers in the dorm and to campus police. Campus police spoke with Cho, and asked him to speak with a counselor. He was sent to New River Community Services, a counseling center off campus, and then was detained at St. Alban's, a mental health center near Radford, Va. Police said they don't know details of his treatment at New River, and on Wednesday they applied for a search warrant for his medical records. The officials didn't say how long he was treated there, but his roommates have said in interviews that he was gone for one to two nights. If his detention was involuntarily, it should have shown up on background checks when he bought two guns in the 10 weeks before the shooting, officials said.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #170
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
After watching some of the videos, I think I might understand why he finally snapped...because he's a fucking tool, and everyone that knew him probably felt the same way.
Has anyone seen my liberalism? I know I must have left it somewhere. I TOTALLY agree with your statement, Sycamore. Ill? Yes he was. An angry fuck that no one would want to be around? Yes he was.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #171
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Mental health "mechanisms" cost money. Who wants to pony up? My guess is that themercenary doesn't want his taxes increased to pay for someone else's mental healthcare - until there's a shooting spree, of course.
Ha, ha, ha.

Damm tootin. There is not enough money out there to fix the problems with the mental health system in the US.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #172
elSicomoro

When I was in high school, there was this guy that nobody liked...and people tortured the shit out of him. At one point, he said he had a list of people to kill...apparently, I was in the top 10 at one point. My friends and I would joke around that he'd exact his revenge at graduation. He didn't...and I just saw him a couple of weeks ago working at a BP gas station.

We all thought it was funny in 1994...in 2007, the guy probably would have been expelled...and maybe followed through on his threats.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #173
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Ha, ha, ha.

Damm tootin. There is not enough money out there to fix the problems with the mental health system in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Observation:

A lot of the pundits on the tube keep hanging their hats on the fact that this guy was found at one time to be "a danger to himself, and a danger to others." Further, he was at one time committed for this behavior, against his will. This is a snap shot of how our system works and how it is broken. He was committed one time for that behavior at that time. He was obviously released, because he was "no longer a threat" or he never would have been released. And so goes the revolving door of mental health care here in the US. Most people with serious mental health issues end up in jail, not getting the help they really need. We have closed the asylums and hospitals and replaced them with prisons. It is no surprise that this guy was out and about.
Well, complaining isn't going to fix it, either.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #174
TheMercenary

Quote:
Well, complaining isn't going to fix it, either.
Ok, then quit your bitching.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #175
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Aside from my well-known opinions on guns, this guy should never had been able to get a gun.
Given my well-known opinion on guns, this guy should never have been able to get a gun.

The information on the Cho's 2005 hospitalization is that it was involuntary.

He was not a U.S. Citizen. I went looking for the 4473 online, and the BATFE has taken it off their website, so I can't see the wording on it. I know that it asks your citizenship status, and I thought that 'no' resulted in a denial.

Please, everybody stop trying to regard this guy as normal, a geek, a nerd, whatever ... none of those things bear any relation to the kind of serious mental illness that's a play here. You will not succeed in making any kind of sense out of what he says and does.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #176
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Scroll down to the video section on MSNBC.com...make sure you're using IE or FireFox.
They wouldn't play for me off MSNBC. I watched these two videos at LiveLeak: 1 2

Its just gibberish, random. Talk of Jesus and the wealthy, martyrs and torture (being set of fire?) I assume he never had to endure. The one thing that interests me the most is that as he reads out these aggressive and violent words to express his anger, his voice doesn't once change pitch. Completely flat tone, emotionless.

He was very mentally ill.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #177
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Given my well-known opinion on guns, this guy should never have been able to get a gun.

The information on the Cho's 2005 hospitalization is that it was involuntary.

He was not a U.S. Citizen. I went looking for the 4473 online, and the BATFE has taken it off their website, so I can't see the wording on it. I know that it asks your citizenship status, and I thought that 'no' resulted in a denial.

Please, everybody stop trying to regard this guy as normal, a geek, a nerd, whatever ... none of those things bear any relation to the kind of serious mental illness that's a play here. You will not succeed in making any kind of sense out of what he says and does.
Well said, and more importantly the TV needs to stop giving his picture, video, and manifesto so much air time. The time should be given to those who died.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #178
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
They wouldn't play for me off MSNBC. I watched these two videos at LiveLeak: 1 2

Its just gibberish, random. Talk of Jesus and the wealthy, martyrs and torture (being set of fire?) I assume he never had to endure. The one thing that interests me the most is that as he reads out these aggressive and violent words to express his anger, his voice doesn't once change pitch. Completely flat tone, emotionless.

He was very mentally ill.
At work we call that "fucking nuts."

I was taught to identify schizophrenia by using The Four As. (it's a distillation of the work of Eugen Bleuler, a 19th century shrink).

Affect - flattened or inappropriate. (Cho is as flat as a pancake)
Associations - loose or strange ones, making odd, often nonsensical linkages between things
Autism - inability to relate socially to others in one's environment, living in your own enclosed perception of the world.
Ambivalence - the ability to hold two concepts in complete logical opposition to each other in your head, and not see the conflict

four for four.

They don't teach identifying schizophrenia this way anymore.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #179
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I'm not sure what exactly you're saying here, Wolf. If he was schizophrenic, it certainly could have been a result of environmental and/or psychosocial factors.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #180
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
When I was in high school, there was this guy that nobody liked...and people tortured the shit out of him. At one point, he said he had a list of people to kill...apparently, I was in the top 10 at one point. My friends and I would joke around that he'd exact his revenge at graduation. He didn't...and I just saw him a couple of weeks ago working at a BP gas station.

We all thought it was funny in 1994...in 2007, the guy probably would have been expelled...and maybe followed through on his threats.
Yeah my grade school days I can remember at least 3 times where kids were caught with "hit lists".
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote