The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #271
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Wouldn't the radio have cut out if the battery cable was loose?
No for at least three reasons. Current required to maintain engine operation means voltage can drop too low to maintain the engine. Current required to keep the radio running would be so small as to not cause the same voltage drop. Radio will also operate for a short period of no power without interruption.

Of course that means the cable is loose only to the point that is it disconnecting (partially) with higher temperatures. However, by the time this question was posted, that suspect could have been identified or eliminated. This suspect only discussed to demonstrate how many more reasons could create your symptoms.

Suspects are not limited to fuel. Also as likely are problems with the ignition system. Or with a MAP. Significant number of suspects quickly diminish if the problem trips a check engine light. If you cannot, that also diminishes the number of suspects.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #272
glatt

What's the resistance value for "continuity" in a relay? The manual says to check for continuity, but the meter reads 0.9 ohms when I test the meter by touching its leads, and reads 118 ohms when testing the relay's prongs. When I apply battery power to those same prongs, I hear the relay click, and the other set of relay prongs go from no continuity to 0.9 ohms. Seems like it's working, but I'd expect "continuity" to have a far lower value.

By the way, I checked the battery cable, and it felt secure, but I was able to tighten it up considerable. There's a little rubber gasket between the two sides of the clamp, and it barely squeezed before. I tightened it up until the gasket was bulging a bit.

Tried to get the check engine light to come on by driving hard, including up a hill. But it's still off.

The only thing I've found wrong is the fuel pump doesn't come on for two seconds when key turned to "on."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #273
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Less than .9 ohms. A fingerprint will give you .9 ohms, that's nothing. Sounds like the relay is cool.

Homeland security saw you were speeding and punished you by sending a signal on skynet for your car to hiccup, you know, just to scare you a little.

Sounds like at this point, without throwing a ton of money at it, or making it a possibly fruitless quest, you'll have to wait for a solid failure, or at least less intermittent symptoms.

As far as the pump not giving you that two seconds, it doesn't matter as long as it's starting right up when asked.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #274
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Not the right thread, but maybe the car guru's can help me...

Each year I spray our metal heat register covers with a "refresh" coat of black paint.
This year, I used a can from last year.

The problem:
The paint on two covers are still sticky after overnight "drying" in the house.
The paint does not transfer to my hand or paper, but I'm concerned that
walking on the register may end up tracking paint onto the floors.

Any suggestions for hardening the paint now instead of later ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #275
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hair dryer? Coat o' clear?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #276
glatt

Will it fit in the oven? A gas oven can be moist at low temps, but an electric would be good. Set it for 175
Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #277
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Thanks Griff and Glatt.
I tried the oven thing overnight and things are much improved
... still a little tacky, but it looks like it will be OK after the house heat has been on for a while.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #278
glatt

Same issue with the car today for about 10 minutes. Then it got better.

Never stalled, but almost did.

Last edited by glatt; 10-26-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #279
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fuel.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #280
glatt

It's so bizarre that it's intermittent. It's running perfectly now. If I took it to a mechanic, I wouldn't be able to show them the problem.

My first thought was a dirty fuel filter, but I wouldn't expect that to get better.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #281
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You could show someone familiar with that type of car the video clip. They may have previous experience with that syndrome, or at least a clue where to look.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #282
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's so bizarre that it's intermittent. It's running perfectly now. If I took it to a mechanic, I wouldn't be able to show them the problem.

My first thought was a dirty fuel filter, but I wouldn't expect that to get better.
Pfffft. Fuel filter could easily be intermittent. Do you think the crud the filter collects is uniformly fine and uniformly distributed? Unlikely. It could easily be mostly crapped up, but still have a small passage for the fuel. Then with the vibration of the engine shake loose some crud opening a wider path for the fuel.

Seriously, why not just SHOTGUN the situation and replace the fuel filter? (you're welcome tw). Worst case, you have a new filter and twenty fewer bucks. Or, it could fix or ameliorate the symptoms.

Plus tw will berate you.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #283
glatt

Ok. I have obtained a fuel filter. And I should have time tomorrow afternoon to install it. We need an oil change too, so I'll do that at the same time.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #284
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Seriously, why not just SHOTGUN the situation and replace the fuel filter? (you're welcome tw). Worst case, you have a new filter and twenty fewer bucks. Or, it could fix or ameliorate the symptoms.

Plus tw will berate you.
He is gonna blow his top.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #285
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quick, put on your safety glasses.
Attached Images