The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2002, 03:45 AM   #31
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Well, you could do worse...one gram of caffeine is about 6 cups of coffee.
I try not to go over one, it varies. At the moment i usually wake up with a coffee, one just before school, one at lunch, one after school, or maybe an energy drink, then they get randomly dotted with cups of tea thoughout the evening. I"m going to try and cut it right back in the hols so its more effective during the exams. A guy i know doing law had a friend acutally OD on caffine, not pretty.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:31 AM   #32
juju
no one of consequence

You can OD on caffeine?? What happens?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #33
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
You can OD on caffeine?? What happens?
Death and other not so deadly side effects
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:45 PM   #34
Tobiasly
hot

Thanks for the insights Robi. He actually did do a little research first, and heard (from who knows where) that children's Robitussin DM was supposed to be the "right" one to use, since they don't dope up the children's version with as many other drugs. Guess he was wrong though.

If the experience is as you describe, it's curious that this hasn't become more popular, or that DXM isn't regulated.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 05:00 AM   #35
robi
Person Who Has Posted

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
Thanks for the insights Robi. He actually did do a little research first, and heard (from who knows where) that children's Robitussin DM was supposed to be the "right" one to use, since they don't dope up the children's version with as many other drugs. Guess he was wrong though.

If the experience is as you describe, it's curious that this hasn't become more popular, or that DXM isn't regulated.
Most of the 'DM' varieties contain gauifenesin, which is supposed to make you vomit in case of overdose. Also, the children's version has a much lower concentration of DXM, meaning you need to drink even more of it. You can drink a whole bottle of the lower strength syrups and hardly feel anything... However, take 2 bottles of the maximum (and pure) syrups, and your level of existence is drastically altered!

DXM actually has been getting more regulated recently. I no longer use it, but once in a while I check out the 'flavors' available in stores to see what's around. I don't think Wal-Mart supplies the correct type anymore. Used to be able to get 8oz mega bottles (family size ) of the max strength, but that's rare these days. Though I'm worried that changes like that will make it more dangerous for those who try it in the future, because having less pure syrups around will cause more people to ingest the wrong chemicals. Research of people who have tried it shows that about 95% or more of all the problems that have occured from DXM is from taking the wrong syrups.

DXM isn't very popular for several reasons. First of all most people don't find it appealing to consume 8oz of cough syrup. Second, lots of people probably won't believe that you can buy such a powerful psychedelic over the counter. Third, a majority of the drug taking population is more interested in 'getting fucked up' or party drugs rather that a serious trip into the inner core of your conscious. ( Some people have told me they thought DXM was stupid - because they took it and tried hanging out at the mall or playing video games - which completely misses the point of where DXM can take you. I would mentally prepare for each trip sometimes weeks in advance, so that I would get the most out of it. Most people would rather party and not worry about stuff like that.) Fourth, as with any drug, DXM effects different people in different ways. The actual psychedelic properties come from when your body converts DXM into DXO. Only about 30% of humans have the correct enzymes in their body that allow the DXM - > DXO conversion, so your neuroreceptors can get the full effect. For those that can't achieve the complete effect, they will dismiss DXM as bunk and not worry about it again.

Anyway, I need to get back to my programming instead of rambling on about DXM.
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 03:53 AM   #36
jaguar
whig

popped up in a fark thread.