The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Fudge Armadillo
What's the matter with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
Driving without insurance is and should be against the law because that action has the ability to impact many other people in very negative ways. Driving without a belt is the driver's problem.
Out of curiosity, would you still believe this if seatbelt use was not required by law?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Yep. All the insurance companies have to do is include a simple clause that the insured waives their right to medical compensation should they not wear their seatbelt. The evidence at a crash scene is easy to detect and is always noted, even today.

Really -- if you get smashed head-on and are ejected through the windsheild, you don't deserve to get anything for your choice. Seatbelt uncomfortable? It wrinkles your clothing? Maybe an insurance company would pop up that will insure you and they'd charge a fortune. Think of how much you'd have to pay in that event! Smokers already pay higher medical insurance rates, so those of a non-seatbelt wearer could be five or six times what seatbelt wearers pay and I think that is entirely fair. I'm sure people are eager and willing to line up to pay that much for their own comfort when riding in an automobile. If they're willing to risk serious injury and their lives in the name of convience, why not hemmorage money too?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #18
Fudge Armadillo

Should insurance companies also refuse to pay claims for people who were involved in accidents while talking on a cell phone?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Sure, why not? If its in the policy and you sign it, its valid.

Compared to a bare-bones policy, I pay a lower rate because:

I store my car in the garage.
My vehicle has airbags.
My vehicle has anti-lock brakes.
I do not own a sports car.
I've never gotten a ticket.

I'm much less likely to have my car stolen, to sustain serious injury, and even get into an accident. People who drive two-seater convertibles with turbo-charged engines are taking a huge risk, so they pay more. Elect to not wear a seatbelt? You better pay more. If its a clause in your contract and you get into an accident without wearing a seatbelt? You sure as hell better pay more to compensate. Any sane insurance company would tack on a massive fine for violating a basic safety policy.

(Note: My rates are higher than other people because of some other odd items. I'm single, I'm male, I'm under twenty-six years of age, I live in Florida, etc. Some of these aren't even my choice and I'm still included in a "high-risk" catagory, but I accept it and I pay for it.)
Old 01-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #20
Fudge Armadillo

Ok, let’s suppose a parent is driving his children to school, and is hit by a drunk driver. The parent was wearing his seatbelt, but while he wasn’t looking, his child removed his. The child is then ejected from the car and killed in the accident. Should the insurance company deny the claim?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #21
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Ok, let’s suppose a parent is driving his children to school, and is hit by a drunk driver. The parent was wearing his seatbelt, but while he wasn’t looking, his child removed his. The child is then ejected from the car and killed in the accident. Should the insurance company deny the claim?

That's a good question, actually. I don't have kids, so I have no idea how the policy reads for children passengers. I think most car seats have child-proof buckles, but once they're old enough to ride normally, there's no way to provide proof that the adult buckled them in beforehand. I thought kids in the car were under their parent's medical policy, not car insurance?

Interesting aspect of the law: I know in many states the driver is at fault if the passenger is found to not be wearing a belt. Sometime ago in FL, (and still currently in GA) when you could be pulled over for your passenger not wearing a seatbelt just as well as you could for not wearing it, I wouldn't even start the car if someone riding to lunch with me refused to put it on. I didn't want a ticket!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If the child is killed, there's no medical bills to pay for him anyway.

I wonder if that factors into the "more costly emergency room bills" statistic in general. It would seem that non-seatbelt wearers would be killed more frequently, and thus result in fewer medical bills than seatbelted people who required some amount of hospital care. But perhaps non-seatbelted folks, when they do make it to the hospital, require so much more care that it overshadows the total dollar amount of the seatbelted citizens.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #23
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

It's the responsibility of the driver to ensure all passengers are obeying the laws of the state. Period. "I didn't know" doesn't work.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #24
mrnoodle
bent

Clodfobble, the latter is true, I would think. Someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt is more likely to be seriously injured in a fender-bender, of which there are millions more each year than high-speed collisions/rollovers/etc.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #25
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
As bright as this kid supposedly was, I think he was a bit off with the concept of choice. The way his article reads is that people don't have a choice whether or not to wear a seatbelt and have lost the ability to make that decision. This isn't the case. You always have the choice to or not to buckle up. The only thing the law does is punish the ones who are caught, it doesn't make you unable to drive off without buckling up.

It's just like drinking and driving. After drinking, you have the choice to get behind the wheel or not. If you do, you run the risk of (at the least) getting pulled over and ticketed/jailed for drunk driving or (at the worst) killing yourself and/or someone else. Sure, you could get home relatively safe and sound but that's not the point.

Lack of choice isn't what folks like this guy are really crying about, it's the consequences of the choice made. He didn't want to live with the consequences, and that's exactly what ended up happening. The only way you would actually not have the choice to drive without buckling is if the vehicle you drive is set up so that it will not start UNTIL the driver's seatbelt is buckled.

Unfortunately, he chose the wrong chalice and was destroyed. Being booksmart doesn't mean you know what's good for you.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens

Last edited by Cyber Wolf; 01-12-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #26
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Yes, but a Libertarian would say do away with the (partially) socialized healthcare too, that way society wouldn't be paying for it.
Correct.

Also it really doesn't matter what the insurance company would do. What they will or won't cover is between you and them when you make a contract. If they make a stipulation in your policy that anyone killed while not wearing a seatbelt is not covered, and you agree to it, you shouldn't get paid.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #27
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
Unfortunately, he chose the wrong chalice and was destroyed. Being booksmart doesn't mean you know what's good for you.
He chose ... poorly. [love that line]
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #28
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

he made a choice and died as a result. personally, i wear my seatbelt because 1. it makes me feel more comfortable/secure and 2. i believe that it is safer. in the airplane, whether i'm the pilot or i'm on a major carrier as a passenger, i always wear my seatbelt, funny thing about turbulence......

anyway, he gambled and lost. sucks to be him.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:56 AM   #29
garnet

Smart kid, and I think he had good points. But I think he was off the mark on a few things, including the following:

"If one is doing the math, that is more than $138 million spent on seat belt laws. But the kicker is this: It is estimated, by researchers for Congress, that only 6,100 lives are saved per year because of new seat belt wearers."

Is he saying that it isn't worth $138 million to save 6,100 lives? It's pretty hard to to put dollar figures on a human life, but I personally think that's a pretty good investment.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Society feels it has the right to specify the use of seat belts because society also pays a price:

So the argument that society should not intrude because it only affects me is a fallacy.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are bureaucrats with next years funding as their prime concern. They'll lie their ass off to make themselves seem important. When the numbers don't add up to their story, they change the counting guidelines.
Car-A hits car-B and shoves it into parked car-C. The person in car-c has been drinking. That is an alcohol related accident, according to the NHTSA.
The NHTSA mandated airbags way to powerful. People started getting killed but it took years for them to change their position and allow 2nd generation bags.
The NHTSA claimed the best way to save gas was a 55mph limit, which would save 3% nationally when in reality having everyone inflate their tires to the proper air pressure would have saved 6%.
They fought tooth and nail against raising the 55mph limit because of the carnage it would create. When that didn't happen they started adding pedestrian and bicycle deaths in to bring the numbers up.

The NHSTA is a classic case of "Figures don't lie but liars can figure."

The The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is often quote in articles as the "Institute for Highway Safety" conveniently leaving the Insurance Industry connection out.

The Highway Loss Data Institute is another Insurance Industry baby.

Don't get me started on red light cameras and the heaps of horseshit they're piling on there.