The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #16
garnet

So why, technically, was this individual banned? Because he insulted wolf? I thought his stories sucked, but that's not the issue.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #17
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You didn't read the fine print on the back of your admission ticket did you, Garnet?

Nontransferable; must be used by the same person on any and all days. The Cellar is not responsible for misplaced, lost, or stolen items. The Cellar may change operating hours, close temporarily due to refurbishing, capacity, inclement weather or special events; and may otherwise change or be discontinued without notice and without liability to the owners of The Cellar. Not valid for special events requiring a seperate admission charge. It is agreed between the others of The Cellar and ticket users that all claims for injury or loss arising incident to presence on owner's property shall be litigated in Pennsylvania. Nonrefundable. Void if altered. Revocable. Admit One.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #18
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
So that's what insufferably annoying is.
The Penthouse Letters school of journalism isn't putting out the quality of alumni it used to, is it?

I'm no netiquette expert, but wouldn't posting a bunch of unsolicited links to your fiction also be spam? Would the guy have been better received if he had simply said "I'm submitting my creative writing for your perusal, let me know what you think"? Is he merely clueless, or does he get off on negative feedback?

Also, ever notice that there's never more than one insufferably annoying new guy at a time? I sometimes wonder if someone's doing a psychology experiment on us, pretending to be a moron and then gauging our reactions. ("us" referring to newsgroups in general, not just the cellar).

[/paranoia]
Old 12-29-2004, 02:30 PM   #19
garnet

The "fine print" has nothing to do with it--UT can run his site however he sees fit. I'm just curious why this person got booted when there's been WAY worse stuff said here than what MickGinny said about wolf.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:39 PM   #20
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Y'all didn't see the post in the brief four-minute period before UT edited it.

Trust me.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:44 PM   #21
BannedMick

"Y'all didn't see the post in the brief four-minute period before UT edited it.

Trust me."

you are right beestie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
One would appreciate either fresh bait, or links to old material.

Yes, it seems it is just one.

It also seems like you have no idea what spam is.

You are quite the snoopy detective...in fact i think i will refer to you as snoop hoggy hog from now on.

on a side note this is the error message i got when attenoting to upload the original. I had to resize the photo so it would fat.
snoop hoggy hog.jpg:
File Too Large. Limit for this filetype is 122.1 KB. Your file is 147.2 KB.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
The "fine print" has nothing to do with it--UT can run his site however he sees fit. I'm just curious why this person got booted when there's been WAY worse stuff said here than what MickGinny said about wolf.
Usually folks here get attacked for their ideas, not for just being. We've had some ugly incidents but usually you can trace it back to a breach of trust.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is the registration message that everyone acknowledges they agree to.

Quote:
There are only three RULES of the Cellar.

1. Do not try to break the law using the Cellar.
2. Do not try to break the Cellar.
3. Do not be "intolerably irritating".

The meaning of that last item is of course open to interpretation. But basically, if you are a troll, attention whore, moron, spammer, single-issue hammer or otherwise non-community oriented, know ye that ye may be removed and banned and whatever else is required to keep your ass away from the place.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #24
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
This is the registration message that everyone acknowledges they agree to.
OK, but it's definitely open to interpretation. I don't think posting re-run stories here is spamming, but hey, that's just my opinion. And yes, he seemed to have irritated a few people, but those people are the ones who attacked him with a vengeance as soon as he set foot in the Cellar. It just seems like some people are oddly threatened by newcomers here, and I just don't get it.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #25
Fudge Armadillo
What's the matter with you?

Quote:
It just seems like some people are oddly threatened by newcomers here, and I just don't get it.
I think the bannination occured because of the stupid personal attack rather than the annoying content. I agree with UT.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #26
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge Armadillo
I think the bannination occured because of the stupid personal attack rather than the annoying content. I agree with UT.
And stupid personal attacks are grounds for getting banned around here? If that were the case 99% of us would be gone...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, I'm the one who interprets it and that's undemocratic and not fair. But have a heart; after 20 years at this, I'm good at it. I know who is here to be a part of things and who is here because they spot a place they think they can take a big steaming dump for their own enjoyment.

It does my heart little good to see that, given a second chance [before IP-banning], this troll took exactly the same dump in exactly the same place, requiring the exact same cleanup. It does my heart no good because even though I know that, given a third and fourth and fifth chance, he will do the same thing, if I ban him I am the one who has to answer for it.

And yet I am the one who has to clean up the mess. If you can think of a better way please let me know.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:22 PM   #28
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

It was immediately obvious to me that MickGinny had no intention of becoming part of this community. Anyone can fit in here. But first, you have to want to.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #29
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
It was immediately obvious to me that MickGinny had no intention of becoming part of this community. Anyone can fit in here. But first, you have to want to.
He probably didn't want to "become a part of this community" because a select group of people attacked him after ONE post. How can you possibly know what he's thinking or what his intentions are?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #30
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by BannedMick
However, if the skin of the average cellar user is as thin as yours then thank you for banning me before I developed any friendships. I make it a point to surround my self with strong, confident and tolerant people.

Quote:
He probably didn't want to "become a part of this community" because a select group of people attacked him after ONE post.
He's got some nerve talking about thin skin around here. How many of us here have been nearly roasted alive shortly after arrival and then again on a fairly regular basis and are STILL here? If he didn't have the strength, confidence and tolerance to tough it out, perhaps he doesn't belong here anyhow. No skin of our backs, hey?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote