The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-14-2004, 01:22 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

There's no problem there. Make it a double feature with "Going Upriver".
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #17
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

A follow-up to the story on Las Vegas Democratic voter registration forms being tossed...
Old 10-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #18
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Jacksonville police fire pepper to disperse protesters

More news along the same lines.

Teachers' T-shirts bring Bush speech ouster

Last edited by dar512; 10-15-2004 at 04:33 PM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

well, i've stayed out of this one so far and don't really want to get in too deep because no one will be able to convince anyone of anything in this debate, but...

i happen to know Nathan Sproul and a little something about the charges about destroying D voter reg's. the first guy who came forward was terminated after repeated warnings for timecard forgery. he had to be physically restrained and removed from the office when he was fired. he might just have a little axe to grind.

the guy in oregon apparently was never on the company payroll.

what is happening right now does fall in line with page 54 of that ridiculous D gameplan to bring attention to vote suppression that has been made public in the last week.

Sproul filed a multi-million libel suit yesterday. he is pretty far to the right for my tastes, but fraud isn't exactly in this guy's bag of tricks. i know firsthand that the organization has been accepting D and independent or any other type of registrations with no malice.

just my $.02.

sometimes, not everything reported in the news is 100% true, even when it appears to be factually accurate.

edit: thought i should add that this is my take on the situation to this point from the info that i have received from those involved with the situation - not from media and blog reports.
nathan sproul is not a saint, and i make no such claim. he is a far right republican with all that that title entails. my knowledge of the man makes me question allegations of intentional attempts at destruction of voter registrations. i do not have video or audio tapes to support just a personal knowledge of the man.

Last edited by lookout123; 10-15-2004 at 10:19 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i happen to know Nathan Sproul and a little something about the charges about destroying D voter reg's. it's BS. the first guy who came forward was terminated after repeated warnings for timecard forgery. he had to be physically restrained and removed from the office when he was fired. he might just have a little axe to grind.
And Hitler was a friend of mine. Lookout123 posts as if he was citing proof. I expect this of slick salesman. Just because I knew Hitler, therefore I know those Gypsys were not killed? Same reasoning that Lookout123 uses in his latest post.

No matter what you may think of the accuser, the news reporters say in no uncertain terms that Democratic voter registration forms WERE destroyed. That is not BS. Lookout123 would have us forget that little fact. But then Lookout123 is a poster boy of right wing extremist propaganda - where supporting facts never need be provided. He still fears to say when we will go after bin Laden. Good extremists simply avoid hard questions. He still cannot cite the one Saddam attack that justified war. He just knows Saddam would have attacked America. So he never answers hard questions.

Tell us Lookou123 that those Democratic ballots were not destroyed. This is not even a hard question. I understand how you fear hard questions. But please feel free to explain why 8 Action News outrightly lied and that you are so much better informed - just because you know Nathan Sproul. You insult everyone here when you don't provide proof - supporting facts. Put up the facts.
Quote:
i happen to know Nathan Sproul and a little something about the charges about destroying D voter reg's. it's BS.
Now provide those supporting facts. A questions too difficult? Show us how you know so much more than those reporters. Show us that you are not lying. Show us that you do not do as the current president does without remorse. Do what honest people do. Provide facts why you know Nathan Sproul would not do that.

Last edited by tw; 10-15-2004 at 08:42 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #21
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Good extremists simply avoid hard questions.
Quote:
where supporting facts never need be provided.
Quote:
So he never answers hard questions.
Quote:
Now provide those supporting facts. A questions too difficult?
Quote:
Do what honest people do. Provide facts
ah, bitter irony.
let's face it tw, you're simply a bitch in a blue dress on your knees for the party line.

edit: in retrospect this would have been better not to post, my apologies for the crassness. i will, however, leave it in recognition of my friendship with Captain Morgan that influenced this post.

Last edited by lookout123; 10-16-2004 at 10:59 AM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #22
Happy Monkey

Quote:
he is pretty far to the right for my tastes, but fraud isn't exactly in this guy's bag of tricks.
Fraud is well within his bag of tricks.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-16-2004, 12:40 AM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
ah, bitter irony.
let's face it tw, you're simply a bitch in a blue dress on your knees for the party line.
Lookout123 who still cannot answer even a simple question because as a right wing extremist and partner of Nathan Sproul, he must wait for approval from Karl Rove. Or is he Osama bin Laden - who also is a strong supporter of George Jr? After all, they are both from right wing extremist factions and they both make decisions based upon their religion.

Last edited by tw; 10-16-2004 at 12:42 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #24
lookout123

tw- i think that after you're unwillingness or inability to post any support for your position in the other thread you may have lost the credibility to demand answers from anyone.

happy monkey - yeah, i saw that story and have read a bit more about it. it looks pretty shady, i'm surprised he was willing to sink that low. i think they should have just come out and stated that they were a republican voter reg program. unfortunately they didn't - that in and of itself isn't proof that there was a plot to destroy D reg's.

if it turns out that there is proof of that, then my opinion of the man will really change. until then, in my mind he will remain what he has been to this point - a good man (if a kool-aid drinker) who is involved in politics. i have yet to see anyone involved with politics who is without fault, so... we'll call this one a developing issue.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
Happy Monkey

Quote:
i think they should have just come out and stated that they were a republican voter reg program.
They did worse than conceal that they were partisan - they said that they were associated with a particular nonpartisan group - America Votes - which they were not. That's fraud. That fraud doesn't prove this fraud, but your character witness testimony doesn't have much weight compared to his past behavior.

And no, I don't buy that the name is a coincidence.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #26
lookout123

HM - i wouldn't expect the fact that i know him and generally think well of the man to cause anyone to simply dismiss any idea of wrongdoing. my experiences with him cause me to not believe the charges of D registration destruction until i have seen real proof.

did Sproul and his organization screw up with their name choice and the way they went about doing business? absolutely. without a doubt.

does that necessarily mean they had a malicious plan to destroy voter registration forms that weren't filed as republican? no. if proof comes out that this was done the way that is being characterized in news stories right now, then i will stand right alongside you and condemn him as a dirty jackass.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:19 AM   #27
Happy Monkey

Thankfully, this one is unlikely to succeed.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #28
Happy Monkey

Not the presidential race, but:

A sample ballot provided for voter education:

What's missing? Hyde's Democratic opposition, Christine Cegelis.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #29
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I just heard Jimmy Carter on NPR talking about his debate with Reagan. He brought up right-wing columnist George Will's coaching of Ronald Reagan using stolen notes from Carter's campaign.

This was the first I have ever heard of it.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:51 AM   #30
Happy Monkey

Problems in Ohio

More attempts to suppress turnout:

Quote:

He told the elderly woman that her voting site had changed and that on Nov. 2 she and her husband should cast their ballots at a South Side precinct. The caller even left the phone number of the board.

"They said there was no way in the world they would make such a call," he said. "I think it’s hankypanky and somebody in the election is trying to kill some votes."

Damschroder said there are two scams: The caller tells voters their precincts have changed or the caller offers to pick up an absentee-ballot application, deliver the ballot to the voter and return the completed ballot to the elections office.
And Atrios got a message from one candidate in Ohio:
Quote:
The voter problems have already begun, and Republicans are apparently taking this race very seriously. Absentee ballots are being mailed with the wrong Congressional race on them… leaving my race out of the ballot. The ballots are being mailed to the City of Trotwood and is heavily Democratic and not being on the ballot here is devastating. Just as important, if these are irregular ballots, it will give Ken Blackwell a reason to throw them out… affecting Kerry’s race, too. We don’t know how many went out.

The ballots are being sent with Jeff Hardenbrook’s name rather than Jane's; John Boehner is the Republican. Hardenbrook is a perennial candidate who PLANS not to raise money, and files paper FEC reports. He barely managed 29% of the vote last time. Of course, here in Ohio, we have the situation with Republican Attorney General Kenneth Blackwell seeking to disqualify any ballot cast at the wrong precinct; of course he would do the same with these, knocking out Kerry votes as well as Jane's.
|_______________| [pics]