The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #91
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Well, let me tell you, the time that I found my dog (whom I had literally raised from birth
Does this mean picking it up after it's born?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #92
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
When I say "That's life" I MEAN IT goddamnit. THAT. IS. LIFE. If you don't want to accept that then you are choosing to be ignorant. The end.
Well, everything is life, isn't it. Unless a picture is 'shopped, it's life.

Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?

BTW, I'm _not_ saying you should or shouldn't find this particular picture repugnant. Just trying to ascertain whether anything pictured would push your buttons and where the line would be for you.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #93
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He prolly don't have no buttons. Buttons are for pussies. Prolly.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #94
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Flintz got stix not buttons - duh!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #95
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?
If you (not pete) find this or any other picture repugnant, move on. Don't piss and moan about how you've been personally assaulted... it's NOT about you.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #96
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's NOT about you.
Damn right bruce! Its all about the kitty! and sometimes the kitty wins.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #97
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
No doubt that it is our reality, Flint. That reality's effect on us is definitely on a sliding scale, however. No one is going to be strongly shocked by a carrot or head of lettuce, hanging from a constrictor's tight coils.

When it's a pet, it's a lot more affecting, of course. If it were your child, or spouse, the effect would be incredibly strong.

It's a natural reaction to help us remember "snake's coils are deadly", and stay safe.

Inferences of mental health based on the person's sensitivity to that stimuli, are unfounded. As you've shown, that sensitivity will change, depending on their exposure to it.
Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #98
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

This has been a long time coming:

Since the cat is already hung proceed to smoke and dry until jerked
Sever room temp. with light garnish.

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #99
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #100
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.
All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.

I'm done with this.....................................................................now.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #101
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.

I'm done with this.....................................................................now.
What you aren't understanding is that I have already been through this, and come out the other side. I'm not interested in going backwards...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #102
Jilly
Melancoly Baby

Wow people. How many dead animals do you pass on the road in a week. And thats live! Do you get all mushy over that? I have been a pet lover and owner all my life and I am amazed at the reaction of some people to this picture. Am I going to hang it on my living room wall? No, but come on, it is an interestesting phototgraph which is what iotd is all about. Right?

<back to lurcking>
Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #103
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

YOU SPELLED LURKING WRONG!!!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #104
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.
I will have to check it out

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #105
Jilly
Melancoly Baby

Jim, typing while drinking never one of my strong suits. Spelled interesting wrong too.