The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 AM   #46
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Not in your wildest dreams. The soldiers job is to follow orders. Do the given job and try to survive as a secondary objective. It's not the soldiers job to know WHY he is there. All that shit about Mom, apple pie and the flag? Forgitaboutit. He's doing the job because he promised and he doesn't like Leavenworth. His personal beliefs don't enter into it.

(Quote xoxoxoBruce)

With all do respect. I love what I do. Thats why I picked Firefighter instead of Inf., I HAVE BELEIFS! I am not a mindless solider, I am a human being that has respect for human life. If you are that nerrow minded, why dont you come out here and sit in my job and see what you think. Its people like you that put the wrong impression into peoples heads. We know why we are doing what we do, or we wouldnt put our lives on the line so others may live. I am a medic, and a firefighter. I put my life on the line back home as a firefighter, does that mean that I am mindless for going into a buning building to save you and your family, becouse I took and oath to protect those in need?

Semper Priceps!
(this means "Always First"
Old 03-09-2004, 07:32 AM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Thank you for your service Fireman.

I believe that almost every narrative that the media considers when telling us about Iraq is simply wrong, because they need a story and they are trained to ignore the obvious story in front of their faces.

At this point almost everyone sees every event in Iraq through their confused narrative; everything reported is run through a bias filter that bears little relation to reality.

Look at Hermex's reaction and it's clear it has no basis in fact. He didn't know what the story was so he made it up. The art is poor, the artist confused, the entire thing sentimentalist. There is no information about how the artist actually felt and just a suggestion about how the project came together. He filled in the rest with his concept of how things are. Reality is not a priority.

But Fireman, the important thing is the facts on the ground where you are. The people there. Screw the media, screw the public, screw all our stupid reactions. The important thing is how history judges us in the long, long run.

The stupid people will judge you on their stupid concept of what happened. The smart people will judge you for being one of the people who takes responsibility and does the hard job needing done.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #48
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Undertoad-

Thank you for your support. I appoligise if I seemed out of line to some people. But you are right. People need to see with their own eyes what we go through here, not just what the media shows. I bet that half of the people back home dont know about the Operation Back To School, do they. The engineer rebuilt run down schools that didnt have good desks, or blackboards even. No air conditioning, or even a safe playground. I will refer agein to the little girl in the statue, at the opening of the rebuilt school, there was a little girl there, I keep her in mind all the time. Being a father myself a 4 year old daughter, the look on this little girls face was precious, the look of surprize, and happieness still plays on my mind. I tear and swell with pride that we, as Americans helped brighten the future of these children. If I can just reach some of the people thar critisize us out here, sacrificing our life and our freedom, and our families back home that make the same sacrifice in different ways. I know that I will always remember that little girl for the rest of my life, and that is why that statue will always be a symbol of the sacrifices made in this war for both sides. Thank you for your time.

Semper Princeps
Old 03-09-2004, 05:06 PM   #49
tweek
Disorderly Disciplinarian

What's with the pants

Middle East guys always wear the worst jeans over there.
tweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireman
[B
With all do respect. I love what I do. Thats why I picked Firefighter instead of Inf., I HAVE BELEIFS! I am not a mindless solider, I am a human being that has respect for human life. If you are that nerrow minded, why dont you come out here and sit in my job and see what you think. Its people like you that put the wrong impression into peoples heads. We know why we are doing what we do, or we wouldnt put our lives on the line so others may live. I am a medic, and a firefighter. I put my life on the line back home as a firefighter, does that mean that I am mindless for going into a buning building to save you and your family, becouse I took and oath to protect those in need?

Semper Priceps!
(this means "Always First" [/b]
Whoa, back up Fireman. I apparently should have specified grunts. My follow up post said:
Quote:
Think about it, that soldier in the war zone hears his seargent yell GO. Does he postulate about mom, apple pie or the flag? Hell no, he goes, as he's been trained to do, as part of a unit, part of a machine. The only other thought might be that he's scared (unless he's stupid) because that's natural, but he goes because he's a soldier, and that's what soldiers do.
In his off time he may think about the justness of the war, the reasons for it or even the reasoning against it. But when it's time to go to work, that's moot. He does what he does because that's his job and he's promised to do it.
I don't think you're a mindless soldier and I don't think the grunts are either. I'm sure you're proud of the things you accomplished and justifiably so.
Yes, I was aware of the schools being rebuilt. Through the miracle of the internet, there has been a lot of first hand information being posted by our guys and Iraquis as well.
It's been a typical American war, in that when the fighting is over (according to Bush ), the humanitarian aid, on a personal level, from the American soldiers, to even the former enemy combatants, is tremendous. Even more so, toward the civilians.
But don't mistake the grumbling about the reasons for the war or Bush's foreign policy, as ingratitude for the job you guys did/are doing over there. That's not the case at all.
As far as you're being a fireman, you're a damn fool and thank you very,very much.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:55 PM   #51
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Bruce...... Thank you for your support,I think. I guess you are right, running into a burning building were ever cockroaches wont stay, is pretty foolish, but like I said, I love my job. On that note. I love my country as well. I cant say I agree with Bushs' cabinet about the "end of hostile actions", but see, this is why I am an Indipendent. I can agree with both side and still not be hell bent on one thing. Anyway. I didnt mean to get out of line. I am just a very Patriotic and Proud American Solider, and I feel what we did is right. You have the right to your opinion, I have the right to mine as well, that is what make America so great. Its people that put the blame on us Patriotic Americans,(Radar:LOL)
that make me But I da thank every one of you who understand us here in the front. I just wish that my Father could have had a Patriotic welcome home, instead of being physically beaten by "Peace Lovers" at the airport gates. Thats how I feel, like we are being verbally beat by "Peace Mongers" that blame us(military) for believing in freedom. But thats just my opinion.
Thank you for your time.

Semper Princeps!
(Always First):

Last edited by Fireman; 03-10-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Exactly, like Wolf said , when the building is on fire, you run the wrong way. That's crazy, man. You firemen are all nuts. I sure wouldn't have the balls to do that stuff.
So like I said, you're a damn fool, but we appreciate it. Thanks.